“A train wreck”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: North Road
Transit: Vineyard Transit Authority public buses travel directly past the Inn daily along North Road with regularly scheduled stops at the Menemsha Public Beach and Chilmark Community Center
Description: A Beach Plum Wedding is know for unfussy but delicious, thoughtful food sourced from the woods and surrounding waters of Martha's Vineyard. We rely on the tight-knit island community of farmers, fisherman, herdsman and family members for the perfect ingredients to make your wedding unforgettable.
Reviewed August 22, 2012

What a complete, total, utter train wreck! I have been going to the Beach Plum, at least once a season, maybe more depending on the chef for over 20 years. It is a beautiful room, simple, elegant with a wall of glass overlooking Menemsha harbor. You get awesome sunsets. The view was always enough to make up for mediocre food. You got always get a piece of freshly grilled fish, caught that day, from the Menemsha docks that you can see from the restaurant.

No longer. They have revised and limited the menu. Before we left last night I looked at the menu on line and hoped they had good specials. We sat down, waited awhile for a semi-vacant waiter to get his act together, and asked what the special were. He said everything was on the menu. Here goes: Sole, Steak, Scallops, Fried Chicken, and a couple of pastas for 2nds that could be made larger for firsts. What the hell happened to a simple piece of swordfish, tuna, stripped bass, anything. Not to be had. My partner had the sole. It was trimmed into square pieces, as if the chef wanted to do plate art. I had the Fried Chicken. Chicken in a fishing port? It was an act of clear desperation. The chicken was supposed to come with slaw and a pickled relish. The slaw was a small pile of some unidentifiable limp greens with two small slices of pickle.

What the hell are these people thinking. I usually don’t post highly critical reviews but in this case I will make an exception. Don’t go there, even for the view, you will walk away muttering like I did.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

Just came from breakfast at the Beach Plum Inn! Couldn't have asked for a better meal or view of the Menemsha Harbor. We had farm fresh eggs, homemade thick sliced bacon (incredible) and the Dutch Baby pancakes. Afterwards we walked down to see some Alpachas in the pasture, great time!

Reviewed August 16, 2012

I've been coming to Martha's Vineyard for almost 15 summers now and no trip is complete without a visit to the the Beach Plum Inn restaurant for some casual yet fine dining. This year was no exception as my girlfriend and I dined on some fantasic lobster and great stripped bass. I'm a southerner and it was hard for me to pass up the new special this year of fried chicken, especially after I caught word of how good it is down on the Menemsha docks. Anyway, we had a terrific dinner on a beautiful night. Service was warm and good too. Can't wait until next year!

1  Thank dylanglenn
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Just dined here. The views are nice, but the food is terrible and expensive. Major disappointment. Total ripoff.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

We have been vacationing down the Vineyard for years and always looked forward to eating at the Beach Plum Inn. We have had spectacular meals in the past there. Unfortunately, this is no longer true. What a horrible experience we just had. The menu was very limited, food was bad and the service worse! Save your money(because it is expensive) and go somewhere else!!!