“Definitely Returning!”

Home Port Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 8 Restaurants in Menemsha
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Chef Josh Aronie brings his lifetime of island experience and outstanding culinary background to The Homeport for it's 84th and best season yet. Expect to be impressed by great renditions of regional seafood classics as well as updated menu selections masterfully executed by Chef Josh and his team.
NYC
“Definitely Returning!”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

My friends and I had such a fun night at the Homeport last Friday. We arrived just in time for one of the best sunsets I've ever seen - was almost a nail biter so make sure you leave early enough! Anyways, the view was so worth the effort and upon arriving we got to drink our own wine which they chilled for us (it's BYOB which we loved). Our waitress told us all about our food and where it came from in the area. The fishermen literally come to the docks below and it was probably the freshest meal I've ever had. We had lobsters, bluefish, scallops and ended with my childhood favorite key lime pie! I hadn't eaten there before but others in my group had in the past, and we're now already plotting our return.

Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
“It Has It All”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Laid back but oh, so efficient. This by the sea gem has hustle and quality. Takeout! The freshest seafood and veggies. Whether you are heading back to the view at home base or joining the folks on the spacious patio. It's a real deal.

At a second visit, you'll want to come back, relaxed dining with marvelous seafood selections might be you encore.

I am looking forward to my next visit.

Visited August 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“Funky place with great lobster”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Here is what you need to know before deciding if the Home Port is for you or not at all. My wife and I went there by recommendation from a local resident who coached us on "how things work" at this place, thus we had a great lobster meal instead of what could have easily been a one-star review.

Think of it as if there are TWO different restaurants at this location, inside and outside; we went OUTSIDE and as the evening progressed the inside seemed very crowded and noisy. The outside is a take-out place with picnic tables on the deck, they will bring your order to the table but that's it. The recommendation from our friend was to order the lobster dinner, thus I can't comment on the rest of their food.

When you arrive the first priority is for one person to scout for and claim the best table available. The take-out window is on the left side of the building (which is not readily obvious) and they do accept credit cards (whereas many places on the Vineyard are cash-only). Also 'early-dining' is best because their parking lot readily fills up and parking on the street is a challenge.

The lobster meal ($25) was superb! Boiled lobster in the shell cooked to perfection and accompanied by a baked potato and locally grown corn on the cob - delicious. (The lobster is small but quite sufficient.)

OK, so far so good but now comes what you need to know BEFORE going there. No alcoholic beverages are available but you can bring your own (no corkage fee), so the next question is where could you buy it? Ooops, we got ours in Edgartown (other end of the Island); possibly there are also liquor stores in Oak Bluffs but best I know the rest of the nearby area is "dry". Unless you bring your own openers, best if you buy screw-top wine and beer with flip tabs. For the wine bring your own glasses or small cups, because all you can get there are 16 Oz plastic containers (available by request at the Raw Bar).

That is not all you need to bring. Yes the lobster claws are pre-cracked, but not necessarily enough and the links to the claws are not cracked at all. Best if you bring your own nut-cracker as they no longer provide them because people were stealing them (under oath to bring it back we cajoled the Raw Bar guy to lend us one nut-cracker). Also best if you bring your own picks for accessing the extra lobster meat.

Bottom line is that one needs to think of this place as a "New England picnic experience". Lobster in the shell implies sloppy eating and here you have to fend for yourself.

1 Thank rodrigt
Edgartown, Massachusetts
“Only location”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I have not been to this restaurant for several years and had fond memories of decent food, not too expensive, and a great view. This most recent experience reminds me that all good things must come to an end. This was just about the worst dining experience i have ever had. After being shown to our table at our reserved time, it took an hour to place our order, another hour to receive our first course, and we left before ever receiving the salad......it would seem to me that something other than "Come back again" would be in order as a departing comment from the hostess. Not going to happen...go to the back door, order your food, and take it to the beach! Better yet, get your food anywhere else!

1 Thank Marilyn S
Dennis B, General Manager at Home Port Restaurant, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
Dear Baum5,

I am so sorry to hear about your, not so positive dining experience with us the other evening and that we did not meet your expectations from what you remembered from your last visit. I would like to hear more details about your dinner so we can learn and grow from this. It has been a very busy summer for us, with the fresh Big Eye Tuna and Harpooned Swordfish Specials and I do apologize for not being as attentive to your table as we should have been.

It is never comfortable hearing about guest experiences like this, we do take them to heart, and we want to make it better for you and others in the future. Please reach out to me directly at dbarquinero@innsatmenemsha.com so we can go over your entire evening.

Thank you for taking the time to write this and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Dennis Barquinero
South Carolina
“Location Isn't Everything....”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

...but in this case, it may be the best thing this restaurant has going for it. My family and I really wanted to catch a sunset with our meal towards the end of our stay on Martha's Vineyard. We had heard that one of the best views could be found in Menemsha Harbor at the Home Port Restaurant. We arrived for our 6:30 reservation and directed into parking spaces by a pleasant, smiling young man. Entering, we were promptly shown to our table inside, which did, indeed, have a view of the harbor and approaching sunset. After a great start it was downhill from there.
It was about 40 minutes later that the waitress arrived to take orders. She started at one end of our table of ten and took the first four orders and disappeared. Ten minutes later she returned to finish orders. Three of us ordered salads for our meal, one ordered a cup of chowder and a baked potato, one ordered a burger, and the last person ordered the fish special of the night. By the time she finished taking our orders the first four people received their meal. We waited another 30 minutes before the rest of the orders came drizzling out....and, believe it or not, the salads came out last. Overall, the food we received and particularly the salads were poorly presented and just not good. I ordered the Lobster Cobb salad and had a difficult time finding bits of lobster in the mound of iceberg lettuce in which it was mixed.
All in all, other than for the two people who ordered lobsters, the food was a huge disappointment....as was the service. In all fairness, the kitchen may have been a little busy which could have affected service, but there is no excuse for mediocre food. Save your money on this one!
Had we bothered to check Trip Advisor, we may have chosen differently.

Dear Miffdb,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and letting us know about your dining experience. It is never very comfortable hearing about a guest’s evening going this way, but I can assure you that we will take your remarks to heart and go over them with dining room and kitchen staff.

Please reach out to me when you get the chance so I can go over the events of your dinner directly with you. I can be reached at 508.645.2670 or you can email me at dbarquinero@innsatmenemsha.com .

Once again, thank you for taking the time; we do appreciate it very much.

Dennis Barquinero