“Expected a little more”

Menemsha Inn and Cottages
Ranked #1 of 2 Menemsha B&B and Inns
“Expected a little more”
Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

Pictures on their website look much better turn the actual room they definitely need to do improvements. We stayed in a room with a couch area beautiful view of the water and king size bed. Found hair more then once in bed. Staff remade bed for us no problem might of been from Cleaning staff. I didn't like the carpet in the hallway and upstairs. They had stained and new to be upgraded. Our sing in bathroom moved back and forth. Bathroom needs improvements.

Breakfast was nothing special. Simple. Fruit. Yogurt. Cold cereal. Bagels. Toast and occational muffin or biscuits. Coffee and tea were good.

Front desk staff brenna very nice and sweet. When I asked directions from others they would just tell me where to make lefts and rights no street names which I found annoying. There was this one woman who works thr night shift I asked her about the wifi in the room she said there was wifi and I asked her her name but she didn't want to give it to me. I was pissed. And by thr way wifi wasn't that good. And you don't get cell signal. We have AT&T and Verizon.

They have lemonade and cookies everyday in the lobby at 3pm. Which was nice. An ok selection of DVD to watch and a one cup coffee machine in lobby.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Yiotamotop

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed September 7, 2012

If I had a chance to spend the weekend anywhere in the world, I would spend it at the Menemsha Inn, in the Sandpiper cottage.

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Sandpiper cottage with our two little dogs. And it was the most wonderful two days I've spent anywhere in my life. The property is comprised of a big house and set of connected rooms that are more like small cottages. But the real treat are the actual cottages that are sprinkled across the spectacular grounds of the property, some with a second floor that include large balconies from which you can see the ocean and spectacular evening sunsets, and all with fireplaces.
With the crisp early September evenings, we had fires in the fireplace every night. And every night we had lobster and fresh seafood from the little "town" of Menemsha (which is really just a little harbor with a gas station from 1950 something--one pump--and three amazing, AMAZING, fresh fish stores where you go in in the morning, tell them what time you'll pick up, then come back at the designated time and get bag fulls (we ate for 10 every night) of the most wonderful fresh lobster, crabs, shrimp, potatoes, etc. you can imagine. Next to the fireplace in our little cabin we had 5 star meals every night. Every morning we woke up to another amazing meal--breakfast in the big house at the Inn. Then we'd take the dogs out on the huge grounds where they ran like crazy and then we'd all walk down to the beach (following little wooden pointer signs along the way--it's 500 feet from the main property, through a magical little woods). On our two nights there in the evenings we sat in our adirondack chairs on our cabin's little front porch and witnessed beautiful sunsets. And to the amazement of a die-hard New Yorker, the guests themselves seemed so happy sharing this paradise everyone smiled and treated each other like best friends. It may also have had something to do with the post-Labor Day special since you get your cottage or room for half price immediately following Labor Day weekend.
Trust me, Menemsha is the most special place you can imagine, and the only regret I have is that we didn't take Virginia's advice and book our reservation for the following year when we left that morning. I should also mention Virginia and the staff are the best of the best.

Room Tip: Any of the cottages seem wonderful. We stayed in Sandpiper, and by the end of our stay I wanted to b...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark M
Boston
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This was a terrific place for me, my husband and our two sons (ages 12 and 15). We rented a one bedroom cottage which had a pull out sofa. Since my boys don't sleep well together they were kind enough to bring us a cot. It worked out beautifully. The cottage was clean, charming and had a full kitchen. The grounds are beautiful and the view from the cottage porch was a wide expanse of lawn going down to the ocean. The path to Menemsha beach was, in August, filled with mosquitoes and other biting insects. We walked down to the beach anyway. Menemsha beach was a disappointment as it is extremely rocky. Nevertheless, the village of Menemsha is charming and authentic at the same time. A really special place. We went to Lucy Vincent beach one afternoon (you can only use the pass before 11 a.m. or after 3 p.m.) and it was gorgeous as was the public beach at Aquinnah. Be aware that if you stay here, there is no verizon phone reception and the wifi is spotty. Also, Menemsha (which is part of Chilmark) is a good 40 minute drive from the "major" towns of Vineyard Haven, Oak Bluffs, and Edgartown. We didn't realize how big the island was and if you are looking for nightlife or lots of restaraunt choices, this may not be the best location for you. If you are looking for beauty, open space and quiet, this is a terrific place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank DiegoDog
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 1, 2012

This is a very nice property. The grounds were immaculate. Our room was very clean and had a gorgeous ocean view. Our dear friends had their wedding here and our only complaint was that the staff was completely overwhelmed. We did book the entire inn for the wedding party and guests, they were not fully prepared with food and drink. Everything fantastic though and the friendly good natured staff did their best to accommodate everyone. One thing off note. They make their own granola and it is out of this world! We begged them to by a bag they said that it wasn't for sale. All in all quite a beautiful place to stay though and the price reflects it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank A V
New Jersey
Reviewed August 30, 2012

When we first arrived we met Virginia who is great..our room wasn't ready so she told us where to go and when we returned an hour1/2 later our room was ready. I was really excited because i was told I had an ocean view and we rented a cottage which sounded romantic but when we got to our room the first thing I saw was dirt and hair on the bathroom floor apparently had not been washed and when I went to look for a hair dryer under the sink there were mouse droppings...the cottage desperately needs a remodel it is worn..the walls are scratched, when we moved the blender on the counter an old beer bottle and chips were found so I would say cleanliness is not their strong suit. I called the desk and they did send someone down to clean the bathroom...There was not one sliver of ocean did I see from the cottage..if I had known that I never would have spent 500.00 a nite. We cancelled all our dinner reservations did not need to be ripped off anymore then we were but Larsens lobsters were what we ate during our 4 day stay and the lobster bisque was wonderful. I left my pillow there and when I called a gentlemen told me he would send it the next day...well I had to call several times and the girl who answered told me to give her my UPS# which Virginia said made no sense as they don't even have UPS at their Inn. I asked where was my pillow and they said it was still there three weeks later...did not even bother to call me and let me know there excuse was it is August the busiest time of the year so no one could spare the time to go to the post office. It took almost a month and I did not sleep well which is why I take my pillow with me. Good luck Menemsha...you will never see any of my friends or family or us again. There are better places to go for that kind of money and no view. This is the first time trip advisor was wrong. We stayed in the Beach Plum Cottage.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank thrilledinmilford
New Rochelle, New York
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We just returned from four nights at the Inn and loved it. (my husband and I stayed at the Beach Plum Inn a couple of years ago and decided we had to come back with the kids) We are a family of five and found our accommodations terrific. The breakfast which is included is lovely and its nice to also be able to go to the Beach Plum Inn and order from their menu as well. (try the homemade donuts!)
Having a car pass to take advantage of Lucy Vincent beach is huge. The kids loved the big waves. We just booked our dates for next August. Thanks for a wonderful time!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Reviewed August 27, 2012

This is the most beautiful place I have ever stayed. At Sixty plus, I have definitely have a few places to compare. The beauty of nature, sunset view from the room, charm of the staff, activity or the lack thereof, I could go on and on and will. The related facilities and restaurants were delicious icing on the cake. At the Home Port restaurant, a takeout is a gourmet feast of the freshest seafood. Take it back to your private sunset or use the outdoor tables on the spot. Even better relax by dining inside with same sunset view. Breakfast at the Beach Plum was just a divine.

No, I did not just eat but great shopping a few miles away takes fuel!

Room Tip: Try the one in the trip adviser ad, we did and loved it.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Menemsha
Mansion House
#11 of 47 in Martha's Vineyard
The Hob Knob
The Hob Knob
#1 of 10 in Edgartown

Been to Menemsha Inn and Cottages? Share your experiences!