“Nice but Noisy”
Review of The Beach Plum Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Menemsha
The Beach Plum Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Menemsha B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Nice but Noisy”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

This was a smallish room (Dephinium) on the second floor of the main house. lovely view of the bay far below. The room had a terrace, but everythign was quite small. amazing noise level from the restaruant that is just below your room. from 10pm until someone in the restaurant staff screamed ("we are done") at 11:30, and another hour of noise as they were closing up. At 6:15am, tons of creaking from the morning cleanup and rearranging. a terrible, terrible nights sleep.
We ate at the restaurant. very small menu of latest offerings. but excellent fish, both of the ones we had! It was a pricy bill, and was refunded to us the next morning after my complete description of complaints to the rooms manager. She was suprised to hear that the room was noise. THe hotel should fore-warn people of their noise and do what they can to limit damage.

Room Tip: not in the main house
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mikez1299
bobnixon, Owner at The Beach Plum Inn, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Dear Mike z,

Thank you for the feedback and very sorry our clamour ruined your sleep. Few things upset me more so I appreciate your politeness. Also glad you spoke up because, like the manager, the problem was not on my radar.

Chef Chris Fischer has made our Beach Plum Restaurant a runaway success and we simply did not think to pay attention to how that could disturb our upstairs guests. We are on it now.
Keeping the morning peace is easy, consider it done. The evening will be harder but already have a few ideas.

best regards,
bob nixon

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Chilmark, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 3, 2013

As we live in Chilmark and frequent the beach plum inn restaurant we were looking forward to our usual delicious meal under the guise of their new chef. We will not go back this season and hope for better food and service next season.
The views as usual are still beautiful. The food, well lets say that we should have left the building when we sat down and read the menu.
The salad was tasteless greens, the meal was greasy, room temperature and with large clumps of unedible fat that they called pork belly. It was accompanied by 2 tiny red potatoes floating in grease. The meat was $100.for just the meat!
I pointed out that the meat was barely warm, far from hot, so the waitress said, "what would you like me to do?" I requested that they reserve it hot please. 45 minutes later it came back lukewarm on top, under was not warmer. Obviously the dish was thrown under a heat lamp until someone remembered it. The dish was hotter that the meat.
There was a 30 minute gap between the finishing of our salad which is available for sale in a bag at cronig,s market and the serving of the lukewarm entrees. The service was terrible. I insisted that they serve us some bread while we were waiting and made sure to remember to ask for olive oil as I was certain it would come plain.
Also on the menu was a small whole chicken for 4 that is not cut up for $120.00, ala carte.
I have been eating there for 30 years, however this year has been the worse. Outrageous views, lousy service if you can get it and exhorbitant prices, even for the Vineyard. Mr fisher underestimates the sophistication of his patrons and thinks he can bamboozle them into supporting his badly executed farm to table concept.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Paul I

Travelers are raving about these Menemsha hotels

Chilmark, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We go every summer for dinner and look forward good (sometimes very good) food in a great setting. The setting is still great. The food and the service are currently poor. Initially, we thought the sparse menu might be hiding simple, well-executed dishes with lots of local fare. Wrong. Our starters (tuna crudo, a tomato salad, and a beet salad) were small, plain and utterly lacking in any culinary touches whatsoever. It was as though our server had to rush back in the kitchen and throw them on the plates herself. The mains, two fish dishes and a scrawny, lifeless piece of chicken, were small and the vegetable and potato garnishes made no sense either visually or taste-wise. Again we wondered whether there was actually a trained chef in the kitchen. The deserts were better but again this was family-style fare which we could have made in the kitchen with the kids. The service was laconic without being rude or poor. The bill came and we got close to $300 for three people. For this price would have preferred to rent the table, have them give us the food, and go into the kitchen ourselves to prepare it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank elisabeth l
boston
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I am a summer Vineyard resident and always consider it a special trip to go to The Beach Plum. The location is perfection...and the sunset is a treat. This is one of the premier spots on the island and with that comes certain expectations...service being one of them. I brought a friend from NYC for dinner for the second time.

We arrived a bit early to take in the view and enjoy a bottle of champagne fyi you need to know is BYOB with a corking fee which I actually like). Twice we had to ask for an ice bucket, which in the big picture is not a huge deal but should be a given. Once seated inside we were given the limited but usually impressive menus. Our waiter...was less than impressive. We had to ask him several times how dishes were prepared, what they came with, was there a special (of which there was a $120 rib eye for two which seemed a bit much)? The server struggled to explain the dishes and was not overly attentive. My pig head terrine was very good, my friends beet salad was ordinary. We settled on the lobster spaghetti and the fluke. Spaghetti was good, not great. Fluke was good but not worth the $40 price tag. Keeping with the BYOB policy we brought a bottle of wine and vodka. When asked for a vodka soda, the server was entirely perplexed as to what I meant. It took two other servers to bring a tumbler of soda water for the drink. Annoying as I was not asking for something entirely out of the ordinary. Dessert was very underwhelming (we ordered blueberry white chocolate cake, which was actually a dense blueberry muffin cut in a slice with whipped cream as well as an order of "some famous brothers chocolate" with sliced fruit). Both not memorable.

I adore The Beach Plum for so many reasons. But to me the biggest mistake a place can make is to settle. They have one of the best views in the world, have access to tons of locally sourced food, and should hire only the best when it comes to service. The quality of service left me sad as we left. I am always recommending The Beach Plum to anyone who wants a truly fabulous experience. I am hoping management reminds staff that the customer is doing them a favor by being there not the opposite. The food should be off the charts and it wasn't.

I will continue to go to The Beach Plum with the hope that this was just an off night.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank pickymomboston
Dear Picky Mom,

Thank you for your thoughtful review and suggestions. I am very sorry that our service was disappointing and will look into the specifics. Because I see every day that our team really, really cares my first though is to wonder if we ( and thus you) were suffering from late August fatigue. Don't know yet but we will use you comments to figure it out and improve. I do know that we appreciate your patronage and really hope we impress you next time.

Best regards,

Bob nixon
Chatham, New Jersey
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We have been dining at The Beach Plum Inn for 20 years, but unless there is new ownership and a new chef, we will never dine there again. The site is as great as always, but our dinner on July 30 with our house guests who like to dine there every year when they come to MV was a complete bust!
The $20 grilled peach and prociutto salad had 1/4 of a peach and one piece of prociutto amid a few greens -- probably was worth $4 if that. The field greens salad for $14 or so was several wilted and bitter greens thrown on a plate. My chicken entree was so tiny, bony and undercooked thatI complained and the waitress did immediately bring out a full and proper piece of chicken which must have been being prepared for someone else, but the image of that original poor excuse for an entree left an indellible mark. No bread was served with the meal, but you could get two small pieces of foccacia for an extra $5. The $8 corkage fee was Ok except that the waitress obviously did not feel that pouring anyone's refill was part of her assignment, so we poured our own -- repeatedly.
All in all a $371 dinner for four was not worthy of anything but this criticism. I phoned the inn to report my thoughts to management rather than write this critical review on Trip Advisor (which I never do) and chatted with the general manager, Dennis, who told me that the owner is not involved in day to day issues, but that he would review my experience with the owner and chef and call me back in a few days--- it's now been a few weeks and I'm still waiting!
Obviously the owner should get more involved in day-to-day matters if he expects the inn to survive another season!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank bob s
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Everything was comfortably perfect....pace, decor, Dana our waitress. Even the table for two which was really made for two and not tucked away in a corner. But the crowning glory was the food. I stepped out of my comfort zone with chicken hearts and rabbit and was delighted. The chocolate torte with caramel and salt....will dream about that for months to come.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank AHS121
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Had cocktails out on the deck. Had gorgeous views. We step into the resturant and it is 90 deg In the resturant. We are informed that they do not have striped bass. We order the tuna to find out 15 min later that they don't have tuna. To make up for it the chef sends out inedible raw clams. We are still here hopping our chicken comes out.

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank Jsclight
Also consider these accommodations in or near Menemsha
Mansion House
Summercamp Hotel
#3 of 3 in Oak Bluffs
Clarion Inn Martha's Vineyard
Vineyard Square Hotel & Suites

Been to The Beach Plum Inn? Share your experiences!