The Beach Plum Inn
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Mansion House(Vineyard Haven)(Great Value!)
$184
Clarion Inn Martha's Vineyard(Edgartown)(Great Value!)
$181
$159
Hotels.com
Summercamp Hotel(Oak Bluffs)(Great Value!)
$199
Pequot Hotel(Oak Bluffs)(Great Value!)
$109
Winnetu Oceanside Resort(Edgartown)(Great Value!)
$225
Sands Of Time Motor Inn & Harbor House(Woods Hole)(Great Value!)
$199
Priceline
Harbor View Hotel(Edgartown)(Great Value!)
$229
Treehouse Lodge(Woods Hole)
The Richard(Edgartown)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
Harborside Inn(Edgartown)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsmenemsha harborlucy vincent beachroom was tastefully decoratedmartha's vineyardiris roomoak bluffswild turkeysevery bitebeach passeslaid backlobsterbagelscottageislandhydrangeasexclaimedsummer
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 10, 2008

NEVER AGAIN! Still bitter about the money we wasted here! What a horrible experience. The pictures speak for themselves. Staff was inexperienced, unprofessional, and unhelpful. No cell or internet service and the phone in our room phone did not work!! We asked to have it fixed several times and the staff did nothing. Our hot water was turned off in the middle of the day without warning. Our "patio" consisted of a broken hammock, old, broken furniture, cobwebs, and overgrown shrubs. Cottage was right next to the restaurant's kitchen, so the noise was disruptive and there was NO privacy! The service and attention we received was that of a 1 star hotel, which was awful considering the 4 star hotel pricetag. Don't believe the room pictures on their website. We were shocked and appalled when we arrived. No bedskirt on the bed, chipping paint, mold and soap scum in the bathroom...the list goes on. I've stayed in Holiday Inns nicer than this! While the food and views are amazing, I would NEVER stay at the Beach Plum ever again, nor would I recommend it to anyone. If you are considering staying here, think twice. Don't believe the hype!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank moc14
Martha'sVineyard, Robert Nixon, Owner at The Beach Plum Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2009

As an owner of the Beach Plum Inn, I would like to express my sincere apologies to this guest who has had such an unfortunate experience in one of our rooms that was clearly not up to our standards.

Since my family bought the Beach Plum Inn four years ago, we have worked hard to make the improvements needed to return this historic establishment to its former high level of accommodation and service. As a family business, financial constraints are always a mitigating factor but our loyal guests have generally appreciated what we have been able to achieve. From day one, at the top of our list was the offending double cottage that is the subject of this post. It was clearly in need of more than decorating. It needed a drastic solution that required town approval. We are pleased to report that on March 10, 2009 we finally gained approval from the Chilmark Zoning Board of appeals to move “on paper” the offending room and create “The Hayloft” a beautiful one bedroom suite with a living room and balcony above a completely renovated barn. The Hayloft master suite balcony overlooks our herb and flower gardens while downstairs a club house/reading room is now available for the use of all of our Inn guests.

This allowed the formerly offending double cottage to become the Seabreeze Cottage. It has one bedroom, a living room, and one and a half baths, new windows, hardwood floors and completely new furniture. It also has a small private patio, hammock, and a nice view of the harbor.

Although we all knew that the cottage was awaiting this major renovation, there is no excuse for the state that a Beach Plum Inn guest found one of our rooms. It is extremely upsetting to me. I have directed our General Manager David Zeilinger to determine who the guest was last season so we can send them a letter and ask them to consider giving the Beach Plum Inn a second chance by returning for an entirely complimentary stay. We hope they will consider our olive branch and they will have the choice of any room but we hope they choose the “Hayloft” which will be our nicest accommodation.

Spring is now well underway and our all new staff has a pleasant outlook, focused on providing the utmost in guest service and striving to exceed their expectations. Each staff member is now empowered to “go to all lengths” to ensure we meet our guests expectations.

Reviewed July 4, 2007

Quite simply put the best dinner I have ever had. If you enjoy breath taking scenery of the Menemsha Harbor, top quality service, and excellent cuisine then the Beach Plum is your place. I just came from dinner and I felt the urge to write and let people know about the hidden gem of Martha's Vineyard. I had a starter of seared scallops and twin lobsters for my entree. The kicker was the dessert, a fresh slice of homemade blueberry pie with cinnamon ice-cream. After dinner my wife and I walked to our quaint romantic room to relax on our porch looking at the stars sparkle over the Vineyard sound. One word to describe this vacation get away - PERFECT.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank vineyardvines
Reviewed December 16, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Beach Plum in August 2006 and were very disappointed. While there were great things about the inn (the breakfasts, the view!, proximity to the town), it is NOT worth the price ($400-$500 a night). Here are some of our biggest complaints:

- The "whirlpool tub" promised on the website was covered in black mold and the jets were cracked and moldy as well. When we turned the jets on, large chunks of brown mold flew out into the water.
- We were promised a quiet, romantic room, but our room (the Delphinum) was directly above the inn's restaurant, so there was loud noise from dinner until late into the night. Sleeping with the porch door open was out of the question.
- We asked the concierge to make a dinner reservation for us (this service is advertised on the website), but it was never made.
- The beach chairs that were provided were rusted out, and none of the umbrellas worked.
- There was no one to help us with our luggage upon arrival or departure.
- One of the chairs on our porch was broken.
- Many of the towels (beach and bath) were stained.
- The clock/radio in our room was broken.
- The staff was pleasant and apologetic, and they gave us dinner in their restaurant for our last night there. That was very nice, but we didn't feel that our concerns were properly addressed - we mostly just wanted our tub cleaned!
- I wrote a letter to the manager, but I never recieved any kind of response. I thought that perhaps he would write back or just call to acknowledge our concerns, but the letter went ignored.

I do realize that these are not huge problems. But for $400 a night, we expected much higher quality in both service and amenities. The staff is far more focused on the restaurant than on the inn.

Bottom line: The Beach Plum has the potential to be a phenomenal place (given its natural surroundings), but it was very disappointing and not nearly worth $400 a night. We will certainly not be returning, and we are advising our friends and family to steer clear unless the management makes some changes.

I recommend staying at either the Victorian Inn or Jonathan Munroe House in Edgartown instead!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank NCbee
InnsAtMenemsha, General Manager at The Beach Plum Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2007

First and foremost, on behalf of both the management and ownership of The Beach Plum, I would like to express my sincere apologies to this guest. This is certainly not indicative of how the Inn is operated nor maintained now-a-days.

Sadly, their displeasure was not conveyed accordingly so that we could have addressed their concerns at the time and remedied this matter during their stay.

Recently, The Beach Plum was purchased by Robert & Sarah Nixon, long time owners of the adjoining Menemsha Inn & Cottages. With this acquisition, the Nixon’s brought in all new management with extensive experience operating small up-scale boutique hotels to unite the two Inns into one full-service seaside resort.

Many changes have already been made and even more are now taking place. Most long-time guests of The Beach Plum will instantly recognize the newly renovated reception and dinning areas, in addition to the rich new furnishings that can be found throughout the property. Moreover, all the accommodation’s linens and guest accessories (including beach towels, chairs & umbrellas) have now been replaced and all guest rooms are gradually being renovated.

These same long-time guests will also notice a variety of new staff members, all with a pleasant outlook, focused on providing the utmost in guest service and striving to exceed their expectations. Each staff member now empowered to “go to all lengths” to ensure our guests happiness and well being before, during and after their stay!

The Beach Plum is and will always be a very special little Inn, known for its amazing views, award-winning cuisine and romantic atmosphere… now with renewed ownership, a new management team, fresh guest oriented service staff, and the added amenities of the Menemsha Inn it only continues to get better.

I would hope these guests would “give us a second chance” and return to see first-hand all the many changes that have been made. I believe they would find that all of their concerns have been addressed and more, so much so, that I would personally like to invite them back for ENTIRELY COMPLIMENTARY STAY at a time of their choosing.

David Zeilinger

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 23, 2005

For many years The Beach Plum was a haven for our expanding famlies and we would take over several rooms for a week. The sunset views from our rooms of Menemsha Harbour were always unforgettable as was dinner in the Beach Plum restraunt. When the Inn went up for sale several years ago we noticed such a decline of service that we switched to Inn next door. We were very happy in our Menemsha Inn cottages but when we heard that the new owners had really improved the Beah Plum we extended our stay to check it out....We are so pleased at all the improvements the new owners have brought to the Beach Plum....it is better than ever, especially the restraunt and the service. We booked our return before we left.

• Stayed: October 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
New York
Reviewed March 4, 2005

My husband and I have been staying in Edgartown for years. On a lark we decided to venture "Up Isand" for our October visit and quickly fell in love with the Beach Plum. The view over Menemsha Habour would be enough in itself. When you add the sun setting into the sea as the fishing boats return to unload their catch..well...you just have to see it.

Our room was charming, well appointed and peaceful. Although we were skeptical, the restraunt lived up to their billing as the best on the Vineyard. One concern one that Chilmark is a dry town and at dinner people BYOB. We were dubious that one could have a great restraunt without a great wine list. We were thrilled to be proven wrong. It turned out to be great fun to meet with Chef James McDougnah to plan the wines we would have delivered for our meals....from where else...Down Isalnd.

My daughter is now planning her wedding at the Beach Plum.

• Stayed: October 2004