Tripadvisor
Mendon
Post
Inbox
Search

“If you’re looking to hear swearing and not get moved - come here.”

New England Steak & Seafood
Ranked #5 of 16 Restaurants in Mendon
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

They used to be a decent place. Their food is good - but honestly you can get more for cheaper at other places that are equal in as far as (they’re not chain restaurants) around the area.

We had been sat near two individuals who were throwing out the f bombs like no tomorrow. They were loud- you’d be drinking your soda and thinking - this is just what I wanted to hear while trying to eat (which we took two bites and ended up leaving).

Why? Because my husband asked the waitress to move us because we knew they couldn’t move them and she did ZERO about it. Most of the time we couldn’t even find her. I’m assuming that’s what type of atmosphere the owners and managers want lately, but they are not worth that.

We had reached out on their email to tell them what went on - no reply. My husband and I weren’t looking for money back or an apology. But did think after all the years we frequented there, that someone would at least take accountability. Won’t happen here, we received zero response. Which is fine because we can go to other places that cost more or a little less but get more food and a better atmosphere for the price. Considering you can’t even have your own waitress move you, this is a joke. I guess we were supposed to listen to that? We ended up leaving but not without my husband having to try to track down our own waitress who went missing a lot and another waitress bagged the food we didn’t eat.
Other waitresses apologized... even the women that cleaned the tables did - but our own didn’t and the owner who always shakes my husband’s hand obviously doesn’t care either. It’s all business for him in our opinion. He doesn’t care if he loses people because he can get more. Word travels fast. Good kick in the future. We surely don’t want to come back.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (181)

Reviewed November 11, 2019

Was looking for some seafood only to find out the place I was looking for…was closed for the season. I had passed New England Steak and Seafood so I turned around and decided to dine there. The décor of this place (at least the bar area) could be described as sophisticatedly barn sale “chique”. You could spend hours perusing all of the things they have hanging from the ceiling and walls. So I decide to dine at the bar, order a beer and there is freshly popped popcorn and a cheddar cheese and cracker appetizer. The popcorn was good but the cheddar cheese and Pepperidge Farms crackers was incredible.

While I am munching you can tell this place is a “locals” hangout, and when a gentleman called Bob takes a seat at the bar I half expected the crowd there to yell “Norm”…LOL

I decided to try the combo of Roast Prime Rib and Lazy Man's Lobster Casserole that comes with a salad, potatoes, and vegetables. I expected a small piece of Prime Rib along with some lobster…and I was sorely mistaken. The salad was fresh and was quite large and I chose the suggested Creamy Garlic dressing…one of the best salad toppings I have enjoyed in many years. As for dinner, the slab of precisely cooked prime rib was HUGE while doing the backstroke in a pool of au jus, a large helping of lobster casserole, mashed potatoes, vegetables, and a bread basket. I think I went into a food coma before taking the first bite! The prime rib was delicious and big enough for two, the lobster casserole was nice and buttery, and the sides were equally good. Add to that friendly and efficient service and its no wonder this is a local favorite.

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed September 22, 2019 via mobile

Forgot about this spot for a couple of years. Went there a few weeks ago for the early bird specials and today for the normal weekend menu. Both visits did not disappoint. My wife missed the Ham dinner in the early bird menu today. Mgm’t night think about keeping this on all weekend. No need to discount, it is very good. We had the Sinatra Seafood With white sauce and the sirloin/shrimp combo. Both were excellent and will be enjoyed as left overs. The salads are terrific, they actually do the dressings in house. No restaurant we know of does a better job with the dinner roll. Onion, cinnamon and cornbread! Service is friendly and unpretentious. Courses delivered w/o overlap and always checking in to make sure drinks,etc were fine. Took doggy bags home, including dessert. Old fashion strawberry shortcake with real bisquick dough and a carrot cake. Btw, on the last visit the early bird specials are inexpensive, w/o sacrificing portions. Also, the home made fries and other potato options are first rate.

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed September 5, 2019 via mobile

Couldn’t believe how expensive our meal was for a family of 4. Regretted not just going to Longhorn Steakhouse instead! While our meals were adequate, we couldn’t help but notice 2 separate tables nearby complaining about 1) their meals and 2) the slow service. Won’t return.

Date of visit: August 2019
2  Thank sarahviz
Reviewed September 2, 2019

We used to go here often but it has been a while and will be a very long time before I go back. First the man behind the cutting counter eating back there did not help. He had gloves on then eating with his fingers made the gloves worthless.
Went there last Friday evening and had the early bird specials. My wife got the prime rib which is a good deal and it was very good. I got the Salisbury steak and fires. I also for med well and it was way undercooked. It was like eating dog meat only my dog’s food looks better. It tasted like crap also. The fries were so hard I couldn’t eat them. There were like left over and re heated from 3 days ago. All in all, I was very disappointed.

Date of visit: August 2019
1  Thank Ron A

Been to New England Steak & Seafood? Share your experiences!