“Do Not Waist Your Money aka Who Flung S...” 1 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Massachusetts
“Do Not Waist Your Money aka Who Flung S...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

We decided to try Tom Yum Koong Restaurant because it got good reviews on Yelp and customers were happy with the food. The food we got was just horrible. It was an absolute insult. Can't figure out why our whole order was so bad and they got good reviews. Maybe because they serve alchoholic drinks and everyone is so buzzed it all tastes good. Here's what we ordered. Bangkok Combo appetizer $15 : the Tempura was excellent, crab rangoon was all sugar flavor and a medium amout of filling, the chicken and beef Satay were all dried-up, rest was unimpressive. Fried Shumai $6 ish, were okay but bland. Crispy Chicken Pad Thai entree at $13.00, had small pieces of chicken in heavy soggy dough and dish was sugary. Spicy Crispy Duck, house special at $15.95 was the worst insult; tiny morsels of duck tossed in a heavy dough and fried. We actually pulled apart each piece to find the duck and some had 1/16th portion of duck compared to the dough. Some pieces were stragly and fatty and others so hard because of overcooking. We realized whoever was cooking didn't know or care how they cooked, what they served or have most importantly, any STANDARDS. What was served was an insult and to make money. Bill total $50 without tax, edible about $9. I've made duck several times and was so angry at what they made and charged for this crap. For $15 I can go down to Chinatown and buy a cooked duck that is one thousand % better than this. So, I don't know where past reviewers taste buds are but please save your money. I do know they were all busy counting money they made that night and had heard they opened a new restaurant in Newton. Maybe, the good Chef went to Newton? if there was one.
We had to make dinner ourselves since we couldn't eat this food. Next day we called to complain and return the food; went to show owner the food. Of course we got the "people like our food and we do very well", really! as I pulled apart the so called duck and asked "what the hell is this? where's the duck". "This is how we make it and people like it". We were pleasant and asked if they had tried the local competition since their food was not similar at all and not anywhere close to what would be expected. We got a refund for the duck dish and they were not interested in our suggestions at all.
So, for anyone reading this review, please, try a much better place within a 12 minute drive in Somerville. Just so you know how much better Thai food can be from what is served here. It's not the top of the line but the flavors and crisy chicken are really crispy bigger pieces and flavors are nice and complex. Tiny take-out place but has one or two tables, prices are reasonable, "Lemon Thai Cuisine at 215 Highland Ave., Somerville. Never had a bad dish there and actually liked eating there since their plating was pretty. They close early 10 ish. It's not a ten rating but a solid 8 and they take pride in their work. (we found this restaurant from reviews).

• Visited September 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Ventura, Calif
“Best Thai food in Medford!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

Well, I think the only Thai restaurant in Medford. But, authentic Thai dishes with spice ranging from mild/no spice to extremeley hot! Very good service and reasonably priced. Wine list not so good, so drink beer. Atmosphere like a coffee shop, but that is unimportant to me if the food and value are high.

Would definitely go back.

Visited October 2012
Everett, Massachusetts
“Rude!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012

Ordered Take Out from Tom Yum like we've done several times. Order arrived without one of the items ordered. Called the restaurant, responder said she'd call back. After 15 minutes I called back only to be asked if I was sure that I did not receive the item. I inferred that to mean that I was being dishonest. To make matters worse, she hung up the phone on me since she did not understand why I would be annoyed that she would insinuate dishonesty. Needless to say, that was my last time eating Tom Yum's food.

Visited March 2012
Medford, Massachusetts, USA
“Friendly, Quiet, Good Food at Good Value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2012

Typical decent Thai restaurant. This place is relaxed, not so crowded, and the service staff is friendly. Dishes are reasonably priced and well cooked.

• Visited February 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“Go to Thai restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

By the the friendliest Thai place around. This is our go to Thai place and we frequently get food delivered. The pad see you is excellent, as are most of the noodle dishes. We've tried lots of dishes and are always happy.

Dine in is also good although not a romantic place. Either way the food is excellent and we will keep coming back.

• 3 of 5 bubbles