“Consistently Excellent”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Route 16
Transit: We are located in the Station Landing Complex, across the Skywalk from the Wellington T stop on the Orange Line.
Description: What does creative casual cuisine mean? Exactly what it says. We"re creative, because we reject the same-old-same-old in favor of tastes that are interesting and unique. We're casual because while our food may be worth getting dressed up for, we invite you to come as you are. We're all about cuisine in the sense that our chefs apply high standards of culinary art. There it is. Creative. Casual. Cuisine. If it sounds like your kind of place, then you – like us- are not your average Joe.
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I have dined at another Joe's closer to home several times and it is always very good. This location was no different. The Chicken Mona Lisa Entree Salad was delicious. Service was excellent.

Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Above average Joe's! Our dinner was delicious and the service was unparalleled! My husband loved the balsamic salmon plate. He usually doesn't like restaurant rice, he says it has no flavor, but he loved their rice! I had a pizza. The crust was my favorite part!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

The decor is very appealing - simple, clean but fun. The service was outstanding! I like to ask for recommendations and the server did me right. I had the tuna (real tuna) salad and would have it again and again. The rest of the group was also happy with their food. The pizza was good as well.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

NYAJ's is an upscale small chain that turns out consistently tasty food using locally sourced ingredients to good effect. Now, in April, 20 quality wines available for $20/bottle, a great deal.
The regular wine list has several other excellent wines, all are well chosen and well priced.
What we really love is the half price/full portion appetizers deal in the bar/lounge area from 3 to 6pm and again the last hour they're open, 7 days/week. It's easy to make a meal of such tasty treats as the seared Ahi tuna on crispy wontons, the Thai chicken lettuce wraps, the buffalo jerk chicken tenders, the crispy calamari, the vegetable spring rolls, the crab cakes and so on.
Beers on draft are served icy cold, each month there are 3 or so special local ales, always a delicious IPA, this month from Martha's Vineyard to go with the regular Harpoon and Dogfish Head selections. The addition of Dale's Pale Ale in cans from Oscar Blues Brewery an is a real treat for beer lovers, too.
Decor is bright and clean, service is always cheerful and efficient. The location is in the Station Landing development, plenty of free parking.
In short, this is a well-run, very pleasant, excellent value restaurant and bar that delivers consistently good food and drink. The standard menu is enhanced with monthly food and drink specials to keep it all fresh and lively.
There are 15 NYAJ's locations scattered around the Boston metro region, we've tried 5 others and been satisfied to very pleased with each. The Medford location is a standout.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I was in the area for a conference and our group wanted to eat American-style cuisine for dinner. A friend in our group who lives in the neighborhood recommended Not Your Average Joe. It was a Saturday night and we had a group of eight people with no reservations. The hostess was very accommodating and had us seated in less time than then we were quoted, always a plus! While we were waiting we were able to try samples of their four cheese pizza. It helped to curb my appetite and also was very tasty. It makes a great appetizer for the table.

We had very good service. Our waiter was very attentive to the dining needs of our group. I love it when I go out and don’t have to constantly ask the server to refill drinks or bring more bread to the table.

Everyone in our group enjoyed their meals and the service. There is something on the menu for everyone and although the entrees are American-style, some of the dishes have an international twist that works to enhance the flavors. I was definitely impressed by this local chain restaurant and would recommend it to others.