“Good hidden diner”
Review of Babico's Cafe

Babico's Cafe
Ranked #14 of 36 Restaurants in Maynard
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Went to Maynard on a Sunday morning looking for a spot to have breakfast. A sign pointed us to Babico's, which is down a path off the street near the public parking lot. We walked in and we knew it was the right place for what we wanted - diner feel, busy, cheesy interior. Menu had all the classic diner breakfast items - I had three pancakes with Bananas and Apples, and bacon. Service was quick and friendly, food was solid, and everything was reasonably priced and met expectations. I'd recommend Babico's to anyone looking for a diner experience in the Maynard area.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Babico's is not haute cuisine. It's hearty diner fare served with a smile. Lots of well-prepared egg dishes including wonderful omelets. Great sandwiches and burgers. Can be crowded on Sundays, but tables empty fairly quickly.

1  Thank brandondr
Reviewed January 26, 2013

fantastic breakfast, fast service, you can get in and out quickly and enjoy your meal. fun atmosphere

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Sunday Morning in Maynard I wanted to have a decent breakfast. This place looked nice. I took a seat at the counter and the dirty blond waitress waltzed right by me. A few moments later with me staring at the empty counter the younger guy waiter greeted me and handed me a menu. A moment later the dirty blond was back to take my order. There was plenty of time that had passed for me to make up my mind except I had just received the menu. So I asked for a moment while I located the beverage options in the menu. "NO" she says and I respond "No?". They're not on the menu I'm told but she does not offer to tell me what they serve. So I decided to forego the juice and just get ice tea since I can see the dispenser. She then turns and grabs a coffee mug and I have to stop her and tell her I want tea that comes in a glass with lemon and sweetner. "NO" I hear and "No?" I respond again to find out that they don't have lemons. Well can I get the blue sweetner at least? Yeah, you know how that went. So I get my ice tea with pink sweetner and I drink it and wait, drink and wait, drink and wait and finally she returns for my order. 2 eggs over easy, home fries, very crisp bacon and wheat toast. As she opens her mouth I cringe but it is just to ask how I want my eggs. Over easy I reply.
The meal came quick enough after all of this had happened and the potatoes were seasoned very well. The eggs were not that well done but OK. The bacon was nowhere near crisp but of course not, she had not bothered to write that on the ticket. The toast had the butter/margarine smeared on one of the slices and the other had a little probably from coming in contact with the first slice.
Nearby the brunette waitress was handling a couple customers and the younger guy was occupied too but neither was super busy and they were both pleasant with me and the other customers around. The brunette got a refill of chocolate milk for the cute girl sitting with her dad and brother a couple stools away and got rebuked when she told the dirty blond that she had gotten it but had not added it to the check. The same thing happened when the young guy asked me if I was through so he could clear my plate and I responded that I would like a refill of my tea. She eventually came and announced that she was going to get me my coke and I stopped her and requested she fill it with tea. When the younger guy came by again I asked him why he couldn't be my waitress since he was in fact the one who was being observant and taking car of me. He just smiled and said something nice. So I am still waiting for my check as I finish my meal when I hear the dirty blond dumping on the guy again. At that point I decided to leave just a penny as tip so she would know that I didn't forget. But absolutely nothing she did deserved a tip and it is a shame because the place is nice and the people who got their meals from the other wait-staff were enjoying them. Of course, it was the young guy that took care of me at the register so when I dropped the penny I just said to him that she needed to adjust her attitude. I assume she has grabbed the best tables and more of them so she could generate more tips but she needs to be attentive first.
If I go back and she is my waitress I will get up and move to another table and keep moving until I get a different waiter/waitress. She had multiple chances to redeem herself with me and there is no reason to give her a second chance so the cafe will suffer because I will think twice about going there again.

1  Thank Bill T
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Like the 50's decor. Used to like this place, but can't recommend the food anymore. Pancakes were very undercooked & inedible recently.. We got a refund, but what's with the chef? We had to look elsewhere for breakfast.