“Very Disappointing”

The Inn on Shipyard Park
Ranked #3 of 24 Restaurants in Mattapoisett
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Inn is the oldest seaside inn in the nation, still operating as an inn, in its original structure. A short walk to beaches, sailing, fishing, and golf, The Inn is located in the heart of Mattapoisett Village, across from the Town Wharf. Boasting small town flavor in a relaxing setting, The Inn is open year-round.
Reviewed December 22, 2012

The fish was old and inedible. The meatloaf was OK but a bit dry. The onion rings were out of a box. The only decent thing was the hamburger and that was only mediocre. This used to be a destination for good food but that was two owners ago when they had dishes like buttermilk lobster with delicious sauce. This is sadly no longer a destination spot. Here's hoping they hire a new chef and put together a better menu.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I like the new menu and the service was good. It is a good place to go with the family or just adults. The porch has beautiful views. Mattapoisett village is a quaint place. I will go again.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is an update to a previous review written shortly after new management assumed care of this historic Inn. The Inn is better now than it was at our first several visits. As we sat on the porch this weekend overlooking Mattapoisett Harbor we munched on the very tasty mussels in a creamy garlic broth, tempura battered vegetables with a sweet and sour sauce and a pan seared fish sandwich. We washed it all down with an Allagash, served cold and with a slice of orange. All of the selections were very good.

The Inn at Shipyard Park can now best be described as a pub, with decent pub food and a great view. The food is not fancy, but the service has improved in the 3-4 visits we have made since our last review and the Inn seems to have found a groove. We hope it will continue this upward trend.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

I was visting family in the Mattapoisett area this summer and happened to eat in the Inn not once...not twice...but three times in a very short period. Anyone who knows anything about good food will most certainly appreciate this menu. It's not very often you find a place that has everything from housemade pickles to housemade quiche. Between myself and my family, 2/3 of the menu was sampled and every dish left us wanting more. To add to our enjoyment, the microbrew selection was better than most/if not all other places in the area. Someone who appreciates good local beer is bound to find something here that tickles their fancy.

The bar tender had mentioned that it had just been purchased by new owners and that they were doing some remodeling of the interior. He even went as far as to take my family members and I on a short tour to show us some of the work being done (which certainly speaks to level of service and friendliness the Inn offered). One major item that stuck out in my mind was the beautiful new handmade bar that was positioned so that seated patrons could look out over the water. I hadn't seen the interior of the Inn beforehand, but I can say that the place looks beautiful now and it is very apparent that the new owners are trying to preserve the structural and historical integrity of this fine establishment.

I highly recommend this place to anyone looking for great food, great drinks, great scenery, and great service!

Reviewed August 18, 2012

We've been regular patrons for several decades through the good, the not so good and now the really not so good. I have to agree with several of the most recent review entries. The food is better anywhere else.
I realize how difficult it is in the present dining environment, competetion-wise, but it's adding insult to injury by taking a once proud historic inn and running it into the ground. Hope it works out for the new owner but we won't be back for the food.