“Very nice stay with lovely staff”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Marlborough
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Marlborough
Reviewed August 20, 2010

This is a comfortable, convenient and well-priced hotel. The rooms are clean, large and although there are some dated elements (non-flat screen TVs, plastic cups, etc.), the hotel is being renovated and will only improve. The complimentary breakfast was excellent. And the staff goes out of their way to be helpful and accommodating. The only negatives were that they have overly stuffed, hard pillows, and all six in the room were the same. and no internet connection was available outside of the business center.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed June 10, 2010

just did 2 nights at the Holiday Inn. They are renovating. My room was renovated, but still had the old Tube TV. New flat screens haven't shown up yet I guess.
Room: clean, spacious. Old style TV. Towels are the thin variety.
Breakfast - both days they were out of eggs. They were always 'coming'. Somewhat limited - but included free breakfast.
Lobby - fine. No internet stations in the lobby to use.
Wireless - free, worked fine. A bit slow at night time - faster in the AM.
Other comments - highway does edge the highway - and therefore you WILL hear road noise. I asked for a quiet room - not quiet enough for me. If you are a light sleeper - please ask for a quiet room NOT on the highway side.
I have stayed in the Holiday Inn express Hudson before - it was sold out - which pushed me to this place. Given the choice - and the money - I would probably go back to the HI-Hudson - although this place was fine.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 18, 2008

Visited Marlborough with a friend who had businessthere. We stayed 3 nights and although the hotel is outdated and a little shabby, it was clean and met our needs. My friend had a training and seminar at this hotel so we stayed here. All the staff we had dealings with were friendly and helpful. Nice indoor pool, internet access and an adequate workout room. The complimentary breakfast included bacon, sausage, eggs, pancakes,french toast, hot and cold cereals,fresh fruit and assorted pastryand very good coffee. The waitresses were friendly especially appreciated Patty-she was very friendly and such a hard worker. Fresh fruit and cookies were available at the front desk 2 of the days we were there and there was a free shuttle to nearby restaurants or shops. At the hotels suggestion we ate at Allora just afew blocks from the hotel. It was a very nice restaurant and we ate the best calamari I have had. It was fresh, tender and crispy not a rubbery morsel to be found. i had the ricotta stuffed eggplant and it was excellent. Back at the hotel another Patty in guest services helped me with suggestions for Boston. All in all it was a comfortable stay.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank trvl4fun2
Reviewed December 6, 2007

I stayed here on business the last week of November 2007. I agree with a previous poster that says the hotel smells of faint cigarette smoke.

However, the thing that bothered me the most was the rear elevator. When I first entered it, I pressed my floor and no light lit up. I pressed it several times and it never lit up. Then I pressed other floors and I got the same response. Finally, the door closed on me, but I wasn't sure if a floor had been pressed or not. It had, it turns out the lights in the elevator buttons were out. This has got to be a safety violation I would imagine, as I thought I had been trapped in the elevator, as it takes a long time to changes floors.

My room was decent, the internet connection worked well, and the shower was okay, but the pressure was not very high, but bearable.

I had trouble controlling the heat in the room. MA gets cold in late November, and I'm from Texas, so I need a nice cozy room. However, I had trouble regulating the temperature from keeping it either blazing hot or freezing. This is common at hotels without a thermostat, however, and I was able to get the perfect temperature by the last night, when I slept very well.

The breakfast buffet was terrible. The scrambled eggs were crusty and the sausage and bacon were overcooked. In fact, the sausage was so overcooked its skin was wrinkly.

The fruit was not ripe and the bread was stale. The OJ and coffee were good, though, as were the pastries. The waitresses left much to be desired.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this hotel unless you have no other choice or are forced to stay there by your company. There's a nearby Courtyard across 495 that is far better from what I heard and the rates are comparable.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank crazyAustin
Reviewed November 8, 2007

From check in to check out it was above average.Had a meeting here and staff was excelent. Breakfast free if Priorty Club member. Food was very good for Holiday Inn . Parking ,location good also.

Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed August 25, 2007

We had a coupon for a low rate at this hotel. Staff were polite and helpful.

The room was smaller than some cheaper hotels, but it and the bathroom were absolutely clean. The internet connection probably worked but we didn't manage to connect.

As a party of 4, we expected that a room with 2 double beds would be suitably equipped for more than one guest. However there was only one towel, and later we discovered that there were no cups for the coffee maker, but plenty of lids. The towel issue was dealt with promptly by reception and housekeeping, but we decided to use our own cups rather than tip for further delivery of items that should have been there in the first place.

Beware, coupon-users, breakfast was not included, although coffee was available.

Overall, I suspect that Holiday Inn generally does better for its guests, and although this was not a perfect experience I would probably choose to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank jarOttawa
A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago Illinois
Reviewed July 13, 2006

If you are looking to impress someone this is not the place to take them. Somewhat dingy with the feel of a nursing home. This is not one of Holiday Inns better properties. A faint smell of cigarette smoke fills the air. The place is barely acceptable. It was quiet though which is a plus. The breakfast buffet is mediocre, not the worst food I ever had.
If nothing else was available I might stay again.

• Stayed: July 2006