“A nice courtyard with a convention center attached”

Courtyard Boston Marlborough
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Marlborough
Olathe, Kansas, United States
“A nice courtyard with a convention center attached”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I recently stayed at this Courtyard for a business trip, it was supposed to be for a couple of nights, but cut it short to catch a hotel in downtown Boston for second night. The hotel was nice, it seemed as though they had updated a number of areas, and the rooms were nice size and clean. The staff was attentive and very helpful for a group that could not make up their mind. The rate I had included the breakfast buffet, and I thought it was pretty good, waffles, eggs, bacon, and an omelet bar.

They also served Starbucks coffee at the breakfast counter, so I did not have to go out in search of a coffee house.

There is a mall with eating locations a couple of miles away that give you some choices for food. We got in late and ate at the TGIF restaurant.

If I were back in the area, I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
nj
Reviewed August 2, 2013

recently stayed here for a quick overnight, and picked the hotel because of it's pet friendly status.

the hotel is clean and easy to find which are my two big requirements. the fact that I could bring my dog with me was awesome, and I didn't care about the extra charge for having her. It's a flat rate regardless of number of nights, so if you stay for only one night it's a steep fee, for longer, it'll average out.

to include breakfast would be nice, but other than that, would stay here again if traveling with a pet. front desk staff very friendly.

Room Tip: I'd ask for 1st floor to avoid elevator if traveling with a dog.
Camp Hill, PA
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I usually stay at CMs because they are fairly consistent irrespective of location. This is no exception. We received a cheery reception upon check-in and the receptionist advised us of good local places to eat. (I NEVER eat at the CM because the evening meal-if one is offered-and/or the buffet breakfast are overpriced at all locations). The local pub she recommended for an evening bite was Kennedy's Pub. We were not disappointed.

The room was exceptionally clean and offered free wi-fi. They have some public computers in the lobby but I tend to not use them unless absolutely necessary. They also offered a number of first-run, in-room movies for about $18. I think that's high but perhaps it's just me. As I recall there were a number of TVs in the lobby which bordered on overkill but to each their own.

We selected a 2 Queen bed room. The beds were quite comfortable for a much needed night's sleep after traveling all day and had many pillows, a feature I like. We were on the second floor and there was little noise to speak of except my snoring. The room did not have a refrigerator but did have the traditional coffee service. I usually take advantage of the free coffee in the lobby but I wake up early 5:30 and it wasn't ready. There is a gas station about a 2 minute walk that has Dunkin' Donuts coffee.

There is ample parking but I chose the lot rather than park in one of the few spots in front of the hotel. The drive is somewhat narrow and some idiot nearly hit another driver in a mad dash to an open parking space. Then, again, that's not the fault of the CM as there are idiots everywhere.

The had a pool and fitness center and the usual over priced bistro. But, you have the choice of not buying the stuff so I can't complain.

Overall, a good place for good value and typical of what I expect at any CM.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jerryk1948
Barrie, ONT
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I'm a big fan of the Marriott chain, just so my bias is out front. I'm mixed about this particular hotel.

Really, it's a nice place with lots of potential. I like all the features, there's plenty of space to lounge, more TVs than you can possibly imagine if you care to watch 13 channels of garbage, nifty oversize touch screen in the lobby for quick access to information, a very nice cafe on premise and plenty of conference rooms. There is a convenient computer area that I found the kids would park on and surf Facebook, so rule it out for usefulness. There was also a separate computer for booking flights and printing tickets that I thought was a decent, novel idea.

The parking is at one end of the building. There are a few spots in front of the building causing me to almost get hit by some idiot that was desperate for one of those spots. They should have a valet to park your car and mark all the spots in front of the doors handicap spots to prevent fools from driving dangerously to score one.

I stayed in a king room as is my habit when I travel. The room itself was quite nice and well equipped. Most amenities I would consider necessities were present except for a refrigerator and bottled water. I still don't understand why some hotels refuse to put refrigerators in the room. Fortunately they had plenty of bottled water in tubs at the front entrance. The free wi-fi was decent enough and did the job.

The air conditioner was rather loud and somewhat annoying. If you didn't set it very cold it wouldn't work well at all. So, freeze or overheat, no happy middle ground. There were plenty of pillows of all shapes and sizes which was quite nice, although bedding was thin and sparse. The bed was still plenty comfortable, the mattress was spot on perfect, although having to refrigerate the room to stay comfortable meant a chilly, broken sleep.

The rooms were large, impeccably clean, as were the linens, and reasonably modern with decent decor. There was a certain element of welcoming warmth to the decoration.

At first I was pleased that they had what appeared to be a very respectable cafe on site that served a hot breakfast. That turned to disappointment as the breakfast was not included but cost $10.95 a person. I could almost live with that, save for the fact that the food was awful. It was so bland and tasteless it was unbearable. I had them make me an omelette the second morning and even it was quite bland, although a bit better with the ingredients I added.

I did try two other meals there, one a steak and the other a hamburger. The steak was really thick, but terrible. It looked good when it arrived, but it was very poor quality, tasted like crap and for the first time ever I didn't finish a steak. It really was that bad. The hamburger was awful too. It was some type of frozen patty on a bun and, not surprisingly, bland and tasteless. Apart from the typical selection of bad American beer they did have a couple of specialty brews and that was really appreciated. I will say there was one particular gentleman waiting tables one day that was just outstanding. The nicest, most outgoing, helpful chap. He almost seemed out of place. The Marriott needs to do whatever it takes to keep him.

Fortunately quite a few restaurants are right around the corner. I ate at the Boston Market and Panera Bread several times and for a fraction of the price ate much better food. I must say, though, the location is somewhat inconvenient. Whoever engineered the roads around this area is a moron. Traffic flow is simply obtuse as evidenced by private businesses posting signs telling you not to turn around in their parking lots and spouting some rubbish about police. There is only one way to get directly into the hotel and that's coming off the Interstate. You can't get back on their road from the other direction because it's a divided thoroughfare, there's no signage and before you know it you're on the other side of the Interstate with absolutely nowhere to turn around.

The front desk staff were very polite and friendly. They use rapid checkout which is always a blessing making departure quite effortless save for the trek to the car.

My lasting impression of this hotel was that they have the right ideas but their attention to detail makes for a mediocre execution. I guess I would stay there again if I had need to be in the area but I wouldn't go out of my way to do so. Overall it was just OK.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank lovetowineanddine
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We had a room with 2 Queen beds. The hotel was nice. Breakfast is not included which is a big deal to me. They have a Starbucks that is sometimes open in the Lobby and they have a $10+ breakfast buffet. We chose to go to the dunkin donuts at the local Shell Station for breakfast sandwiches (be very clear with your order, they messed mine up everytime). Back to the hotel, the room was big enough. The shower was nice. The pool was small, even by hotel standards. We were based here and drove 25mins to the Riverside Station and took the subway into Boston each day. The hotel staff provided us with typed directions to this subway stop.

New York City, New York
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Spent the weekend here because my son was playing in a baseball tournament in Worcester. Our first room was not made up but the front desk person got us a new room in seconds and comped us breakfast for the inconvenience. The food at the restaurant was delicious, the bar was large and nicely staffed and appointed. The room was clean and well decorated. Free w-fi. Oh, and a pool. What more could you want? And all for $109. This was the hotel bargain of the year.

Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed July 4, 2013

My family member was having a wedding in the area and this hotel was recommended. I attempted to save money and stay at a cheaper hotel down the street. This was my mistake, after a very bad first night we moved over to this one. We couldn't have been more happy. There was a lot of sitting areas downstairs, even things to keep the kids entertained. The staff was great! Rooms were some of the best I've ever seen. We ended up in a suite which was well well worth the extra cost. I do business in the area and will recommend this hotel everyone to everyone staying in the area going forward.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family