“Disgusting Rooms, Disgruntled Staff”

Best Western Royal Plaza Hotel & Trade Center
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Marlborough
Seattle
“Disgusting Rooms, Disgruntled Staff”
Reviewed December 6, 2008

This property is one with a message the message is stay away, far away from here. My corporate travel department had booked me into a suite for two nights, I only stayed for one. When I got to my first room it was cramped, stains on the carpet and had two twin beds, no suite. I called the front desk, they apologized and told me they would move me to another room, did the front desk think I wasn’t going to notice that I was being overcharged by $60???

I got to my next room and it was a suite, in a 1985 sort of sense. The sink in the bathroom was broken. The chair in the bedroom was covered in dried on stains to the point I was expecting to find chalk lines on the floor from where the victim had died. The office chair at the desk was also broken and stained. The coffee table looks like it would fall apart if you put a magazine on it, and the glass top was filthy. The bathroom had rolled up toilet paper on the floor along with dirt, I mean think visible gritty feel it on you bare feet dirt, the shower/toilet area clearly had not been cleaned and the shower curtain was stained. The wallpaper was falling off the wall in the bathroom and you could see where someone had tried to staple the wallpaper back down. There isn’t any other way to put this, the pillows, smelled, BAD, on the bed. The bathroom was filled with a hodge podge of toiletry items that appeared to have been bought from a hotel or hotels going out of business. The bottom of the conditioner bottle (even though the shampoo was shampoo and conditioner) was covered in pen ink from where it had sat where a pen had exploded and leaked all over it. The closet doors were missing off of the closet. The furniture was scratched, and worn, and one of the lamps flickered at random.

The way the room is designed no heat or AC can get into the bathroom, which remained arctic compared to the rest of my room. The twin HVAC units were noisy and didn’t have a functioning “auto” setting on either of them and they would do battle with each other. The mini fridge was located right by the “bedroom,” I put “bedroom” in quotes as there was no door between the lounge area of the suite and the bedroom, so every time it buzzed to life you could hear it giving you a less than pleasant night sleep. The curtains, straight out of 1995, which clashed painfully with the 1985, dust ruffle over the curtains, wouldn’t close fully in the “bedroom,” so a lovely stream of bright line shined upon my tired face at the crack of dawn.

In the morning for my free breakfast the staff was indifferent at best, arguing among themselves publicly at worst. I waited almost 10 minutes for a staffer that spoken English to even acknowledge me and I was told to wait, then I was told a few minutes later to sit where I wanted. As I expected after being told where I wanted the staffer completely forgot about me, I didn’t get any assistance until I found the waiter station and was ready to pour my own glass of juice. The eggs on the buffet were cold, but the bacon was quite tasty and it was a good cup of coffee. For $3.95 they’ll make you an omelet.

In just the slightest bit of defense the staff outside of the restaurant staff for breakfast was pleasant and did try to make good on my issues. Engineering did come up and fix the sink. They removed the stained up chair and replaced it with another old chair, the staff told me the chair wouldn’t match, and I had to contain my laughter considering NOTHING in the room matched to begin with. The wallpaper and carpet appear to be newer, the curtains from 1995, the rest of the components in the room from 1985, the cabinet where the TV sat looked like it was designed in 1975. The front desk staff was very nice.

If you’re planning an event here do not be fooled by the nice lobby, the nice open bar area, and expansive meeting spaces. These all appear to be nice facilities and the bartender was excellent and poured great drinks. Clearly the owners are not putting one penny into the rooms or their upkeep, and spending on the common areas to give the appearances of a better cared for property. I suspect someone planning an event here and walking through the lobby, meeting areas and common spaces would be impressed; the reality is the rooms are poorly maintained and dirty.

For $160 a night this was a horrid waste of money. Stay away, stay far, far away, or get a tetanus shot first.

• Liked — Checking out and going to a different hotel
  • Disliked — Filthy conditions
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank AvalancheChief

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 23, 2008

Stayed as part of a tour group for three nights. Due to bad weather, we ate in dining room on the first night. Terrible service, food worse. No effort in presentation, just slapped onto plate. Ate in nearby Longhorn other two nights- Highly recommend. Hotel lobby cold. Corridors overheated. No facilities for showering / changing at pool - walk through lobby required. Room decor very tired and a major overhaul required. Very disappointing.

Stayed September 2008
1 Thank gavoneill

Travelers are raving about these Marlborough hotels

Minden, Nevada
Reviewed August 4, 2008

Good location in Marlborough, but owners not putting any money in it's upkeep. We reserved a room over a year in advance for two queen beds. When we arrived ,the person at the front desk told us our room was "under construction", and that we would have to take a room with two double beds. I asked why was "only "our room "under construction". No answer, kind of take it or leave it approach.The room that we stayed in had old saggy beds and , worn out furniture and carpets, and a towel rack that kept falling off the wall. The indoor pool is tiny and unheated ,unheard of in a hotel of this size. The main restaurant is mainly for breakfast, and we had two meals there. The first meal, the manager wouldn't even give us a place setting, so we had to get up and find our own. The second meal was much better as we had an exellent waiter from Brazil that was very profesional. Dinner is only at the All Star Bar, which has good food and service. There are two computers in the hotel available free for guests to use. Since we couldn't have our queen beds, I asked one evening desk supervisor if we could have a refrigerator in our room. He was very rude and condesending, and just brushed me off. The next evening I went to the front desk and was going to speak to the hotel general manager, when a different front desk supervisor ,who was very polite and profesional, apologized and sent up a refrigerator to my room. There are some very nice people working at this hotel, but there are some supervisors that have no clue how to treat the public. They need to clean up their act, and this hotel needs some serious upgrades.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Some rude supervisor staff, worn out rooms.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank NevadaHudson
sudbury
Reviewed June 9, 2008

My office in Marlborough booked rooms for me and my family, at their 94.00 plus tax rate when I was being relocated from our UK office to our USA office. I stayed 16 days at the hotel while my wife and I searched for a home for us to live in for the next 10 years. I want to say from the beginning, the rooms were CLEAN and that really covered for the fact that the furniture was not the most up-to-date. What they have that makes this property exceptional is their STAFF!
The staff at the hotel were exceptionally helpful! Everyone from the front desk staff to the cleaners were always smiling and willing to go above and beyond for my family and I . The rate we paid for the rooms included a Full and I mean Full hot breakfast buffet. The food was consistent and HOT! Our servers were always pleasant, proffesional and more then once, gave me a plate to go, in return for my voucher, when I was running late and could not stay for breakfast. The hotel offers their corporate clients a complimentary shuttle ride to any business within a five mile radius of the hotel. I was taken to work and picked up at no extra charge for the whole duration of our stay. This was a plus as I often worked late and left early.
They have a FREE workout out room-not huge but has more than enough for my family and my needs and a heated pool.
I would recommendthis hotel to anyone.

• Liked — The pool,shuttle,gym,breakfast
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
NY, NY
Reviewed April 20, 2008

I have just returned from a weekend stay at this property, and I can say that I ever decide to return to Marlboro for any reason, The Best Western will not be on my list of of hotel choices.
I found the front desk staff to be very condescending. They acted like they were doing us a favor each time we encountered with them. I have my own theory as to why that was.
We arrived as a group, and they were totally incapable of handing that. It took them forever to check each person.
As if that weren't bad enough, when I got to my room, I realized that the bed was old, sunken and decrepid looking.
I had requested a refrigerator ($5 per day), which turned out to be so warm, all my milk and other prepared food went bad.
The towels were so worn out, they just looked gross.
I also found cockroaches in the guest room, but never bothered me mention it to them, as I just wanted to get out of there without even having anything to do with them ( other than to check out).

I would love to visit Marlboro with my husband sometime in the near future, and it will be wonderful to see the sights and do some shopping at the Solomon Pond Mall. I did a lot of shopping, and thoroughly enjoyed my experience, as the sales people were very warm and helpful (especially White House/Black Market).
It's a pity that the staff at The Best Western doesn't understand that guests will return if they are treated well. If not, there are a lot of other hotels will be more than happy to accomodate.
I have had very good experiences with Best Western vacation home rental properties, maybe I will just stick to that.

Stayed April 2008
1 Thank NativeNYorker
canada
Reviewed March 18, 2008

We stayed at this hotel with our hockey team for 4 nights. The staff made us feel like we were disturbing them every time we asked anything. They were not very helpful. Four of the rooms had ladybug infestations. Three rooms were not cleaned by staff. We ended up checking out one night early and staying down the road.

• Liked — large parking
  • Disliked — bug infestation in rooms and pool
  • Stayed March 2008
3 Thank maritimeramman
chicago
Reviewed February 21, 2008

i stayed here for 3 nights on business and required some very minor audio/visual equipment and the projector the hotel rented me crapped out twice,when i went to the front desk to tell them the problem the front desk staff showed no urgency whatsoever.
when the "av tech" finally decided to lumber down to the con. room he acted like it was my fault and seemed determined to make sure i never called on him again. he was without question the rudiest person i've ever dealt with in the hotel business.
if for some reason you must stay here make sure you bring your own a.v.

• Stayed January 2008