All reviewslarge hotelbreakfast buffethockey tournamentfront desk staffnew englandbed was very comfortableplenty of parkingbusiness tripgreat experiencefitness centerconferencejeffbwwebbeventexpoconvenience
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Here is a full and very detailed review coming from over many months of first hand experience of this fine property that includes free internet access, an enclosed pool with nice sun deck and a small but most viable workout room with 2 treadmills 2-3 elliptical machines, weights and more in addition to a large TV of very good quality and offering a load of channels.

As I have the most first hand contact with the house cleaners and breakfast staff I will focus first on them. The house cleaners are friendly, professional, considerate and do a complete job each day. Many I have become quite friendly with, know many by name and enjoy speaking with them (mostly in Spanish).

The breakfast and the breakfast staff are outstanding. From Cassy, Jeff, Deb, Sandra, Angel, to Sean, Antonio, Nancy and a few others whose names I can not recall now, in addition to the chef, they really care, work very hard, deliver excellent quality and service and are simply a pleasure to see each morning. They greet me by name and simply cannot do enough. It is a GREAT way to start each of my days!

Included in my rate is a full breakfast buffet including fresh scrambled eggs, potatoes, bacon and sausage, in addition to the pastries, cereals, oatmeal, yogurt, pealed hard boiler eggs, various bread and commercial toaster, to the pancake/french toast/waffle station with all the trimmings (on rare occasion do I fit that into my diet but each time I do, I am reminded at the wonderful and fresh tasting quality)! Also, they offer coffee and juices and are always coming around to see if you would like more or if they can do anything more for you. As if that was not enough, they also have a huge table full of various coffees and more for those who would like some to go!

This property is a real find and it is hard for most people to imagine a Best Western being like this. It is regal and it's lobby is impressive, open and beautiful. Ed in the bar is also a pleasure and the freshly popped free popcorn is always a treat.

At the front desk they have also been warm and most helpful, always trying to do things with a positive, can do attitude and most often hit the mark in short time and often exceeding my expectations. Some of those who have been warm and helpful include A.J., Brooke, Ashley, Allyssa, Amit, Kristen and Ida, as well as others I do not know as well. It is really nice to be greeted warmly even as I simply pass the front desk, it makes such a nice impression and lightens/brightens the day.

As I have also had contact with the engineering & maintenance folks I can comment that they have many on hand and all have been very competent and friendly with only one exception regarding a mold issue in a room I had to move out of, but it is quite likely that they simply were not able to get to it within the short time needed before simply changing rooms.

For me, it really is equally about attitude and product and this property has both while being well located. Though the building is many decades old, it is regularly kept up to date (one would not know the age by the wall paper, decoration, brand-new this year LCD flat screen TVs, etc.), the only issue is that the elevators are not the newest and have been known to cause some issues, however, for a 6-floor hotel to have 4 elevators is quite impressive but they do have ~431 rooms so when the elevators take more time than they should to come (often 30 seconds - 90+ seconds) it can be a bit frustrating. However, when you are in they move faster than most other elevators that I have been in (125ft/sec vs 120ft/sec) so things move more quickly then.

All in all, no doubt, this is a fine and outstanding hotel and for the fantastic corporate rate arranged by Ashling (a delight as are the others in management that I have had the pleasure to meet), it's a pleasure to continue to stay here into the future.

My only hesitation about writing such a glowing review is that I hate to loose this value/opportunity if/when more folks know of this outstanding property that is run in such an impressive way, for then demand (& price) may go up! I have seen on a number of occasions that they fill all 431 rooms with various trade shows, conventions, etc. and it is quite lively also with tour buses also.

For me, noise has not been an issue, one advantage of older solid buildings is that they block a lot of noise that other newer constructed hotels to not.

Hope that this review may be helpful to those who wanted to read to this point, lots of luck making the choice that is best for you!

Room Tip: Naturally, corner rooms do offer some benefits (have been in one for quite a while now), having stayed in other rooms I did not find a great difference in noise or quality.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
rickskinner60, General Manager at Best Western Royal Plaza Hotel & Trade Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for your glowing recommendation! We are very grateful for your loyalty and are thrilled to hear how much you enjoy our hotel’s staff, service and amenities. We appreciate your detailed feedback in helping others see the benefits of staying with us. Thanks again and we look forward to your next visit with us!

Reviewed September 9, 2012

This hotel is big and caters to groups - e.g. sports teams, parties/wedding receptions, etc. I do expect to have to deal with some level of noise whenever there are large groups on prem. But one night there was some sort of celebration going on and it was crazy loud - it broke up just as midnight approached. I don't know if the time was a coincidence or if the hotel asked them to wrap it up...however, midnight is pretty late to be kept up when you have an early start the next morning. The room was reasonably spacious and the hotel was convenient to the venue we were attending. Normally I'd give this type of property an "average" rating - a kind of, "it is fine for what it is". However, we had a giant cockroach in our bathroom. For this reason, I have to go with a poor rating overall. I don't expect luxury at a Best Western, but cockroaches are just...ick.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the outside of the building (as opposed to facing in towards the courtyard). That way if there's a party going on down there it won't keep you up half the night.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Patricia M
rickskinner60, General Manager at Best Western Royal Plaza Hotel & Trade Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thanks for staying with us during your recent visit. We are sorry to hear about your experience. Our staff is highly trained in taking care of any and all guest needs. Could you contact Jeff Kerrigan as soon as possible so we can look into the matter? jkerrigan@rplazahotels.com We encourage all guests to bring anything like this to the immediate attention of the front desk staff who can move rooms or assist in other ways to solve all guest issues.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Very dirty hotel. Stayed there for a conference in July. Took a peek into the kitchen (like to see where my food comes from). Shockingly filthy kitchen area!! Cheap though. Beds okay. Would only stay there if no alternative, as in being there for a conference.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank DCFlyers

Dear Guest,
We are sorry to hear about your unsatisfactory stay. I can assure you we have high cleanliness standards in place to ensure our guests have clean, safe, relaxing stay. Please reach out to Arthur Correa at acorrea@rplazahotels.com regarding your restaurant experience and feedback. We are passing along your input to our frequent training and improvement meetings internally. We hope you will stay with us again to see the improvements we are continually making.

Thanks,

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed at this property for seven days, over theLabour day weekend with a soccer tournament and a hockey tournament occupancy. Staff did an excellent job with a full house. The property is in need of some cosmetic upgrades but was a comfortable stay.

Room Tip: King beds very comfortable.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,
We are glad to hear you had a comfortable stay with us during your seven day visit! Thanks for choosing us and we are grateful to have had you over the holiday. We appreciate your feedback and wanted to let you know that we are currently planning many cosmetic upgrades to the hotel. We look forward to hosting you again for you see the improvements.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

3 out of 4 elevators really need work before someone gets injured!! Bar needs to stay open till 200am... Really closing at 1100 when it's full what kind of management is that? And really when you know that you are sold out with a tournament keep the kitchen open past 1000. Pillows need serious upgrade we had to go to store to purchase our own!!

And while breakfast may be added to the room it would be nice if the eggs were actually edible. The only thing edible on the buffet was the coffee.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

We are currently making any necessary repairs to hotel elevators. We appreciate your stay and feedback regarding the hotel and I will include your notes in our training meetings where we assess our areas of improvement including breakfast and restaurant hours.