All reviewslarge hotelbreakfast buffethockey tournamentfront desk staffnew englandbed was very comfortableplenty of parkingbusiness tripgreat experiencefitness centerconferencejeffbwwebbeventexpoconvenience
Reviewed April 10, 2012

The hotel is located behind a shopping center and access road is unclear. We were greeted by indifferent staff and as we checked in, heard complaints of hotel guest discussed openly at front desk by the staff on duty. Booked on PriceLine so we were told no breakfast for us and were treated as second class guests. Hotel elevators had certificates stating they had failed to pass inspection and felt like it too! Halls dirty, carpets stained. Bathroom had loose faucet. Hotel gives the impression that because of the convention center next door, they have a captive audience and don't need to go out of their way to attract customers. Stayed one night and each exchange with front desk was equally unimpressive. WiFi slow and spotty in the room. Still paid a pretty penny even through PriceLine and very disappointed for the money.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2012

I have read all the other reviews previous to mine and expected a terrible experience but really was pleasantly surprised. We did not choose the hotel but were assigned due to my duaghters hockey tournament.
Our room was nice and clean, and the temperature was controlled easily by the outdated heater/A-C unit. It was not noisy and seemed to work just fine. Beds are comfortable and clean.
The bathroom was clean and the towels seemed to be newer than some hotels we have stayed in recently. There were tiles missing along the floorboards but the tub was immaculent. Yes this hotel needs upgrades but for the price we paid for our large group of hockey players we were comfortable.
Did not review the pool area as we were here for a hockey tournament- no swimming allowed but it seemed adequate.
Workout room had two elliptical machines and two treadmills (one was broken however), and two bikes. Also adequate for parents who want to workout. Seemed to be a bit warm though if I wanted to work up a sweat as it is next to the pool.
We were here for a tournament and loved that they placed each team close to each other. We could not complain of noise if it was our own players making the ruckus. Just open your door and we could tell them to cool it. There was a lot of uniformed security to help keep control of the hyped up kids also.
We got a free continental breakfast at Zacharies Restaurant in the hotel. It really seemed like the staff was overwhelmed with the amount of families we had going in and out. They were doing their best but it seems like they were completely stressed out at times. Nothing spectacular about the breakfast- typical cold food items. If you wanted to upgrade then you could have eggs, potatoes and sausage or bacon. Not healthy- but we did not upgrade so we were not disappointed.
AllStar Grill was wonderful for hockey parents. Lou and Ed made it great for us and took really good care of us. After the tournament was over we were able to order the pizza in the restaurant with the kids and it was great!! The bar is cornered off and I definately recommend this as a place to unwind for a few adult beverages. They do ask for ID and control the amount of kids in the bar (as in if they are not 21 they can not be in the bar!)
Over all experience was what I would expect from a Best Western but one step better because of the service our team experienced.

Room Tip: 2nd floor 230's was a great area to stay.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
rickskinner60, General Manager at Best Western Royal Plaza Hotel & Trade Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2012

Dear Guest,

We’re happy to hear you had an excellent stay with us for your hockey trip. It’s always a pleasure to host a large group and hear that you enjoyed your stay. We often get large groups and try to accommodate you as best as possible so we’re glad you experienced great customer service. We hope you will stay with us again next time!

Reviewed March 28, 2012

This used to be a great value - and while most of the hotel is very clean, there's so much that's tired and in need of repair. We noticed upon arriving that the elevators had failed a recent inspection. We were given a room that hadn't been cleaned. They immediately fixed the problem, and while the staff was great, the room looked as though it was furnished in 1975. I think the TV was older than my college student. It's too bad, because this could be a great value if the chain invested money into updating the facility. Again, the highlight was the staff. They deserve better!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

We’re glad that you found our staff was exceptional during your stay. Our hotel is very large but we are working constantly on updating our property. We hope you will stay with us next time to see the improvements and to receive our great value.

Thanks for your feedback,

Reviewed March 10, 2012

I'm a hockey coach, and as the previous reviewer pointed out, this BW caters to group outings as it's main source of income. Unfortunately, the desk staff does not do a very good job of catering to "customer service".
I had reservations for 3 nights. At 11am on day 3 of our stay, the pool was closed for over 4 hours in order to clean up after an overhead light was shattered...yes they thought it a good idea to use glass fixtures in a pool area! Anyhow... upon re-opening, glass was discovered both in the pool and on the surrounding deck. As would be expected, the pool was again closed. This time guests were told that the pool needed to be drained and would not be re-opened during our stay. Upon hearing this, we decided to forego the third night's stay since the pool had been the main attraction for my son and his sisters. As we notified the desk staff of our intent, we were told we had to be billed for a 1/2 day's stay. I debated this issue in light that the hotel could no longer offer a promised amenity and we should not be held responsible for a half day's stay. Had we been made aware that the pool would not be offered to guests, we would have checked out at 11am! Instead, we waited...while being told the pool was closed for "cleaning". The desk staff argued that since we were checking out after 11am, the room could not be "turned over" by housekeeping. This point was laughable, as the parking lot was fractionally full and the hotel obviously was not going to "turn" this room over to any other guests.

The female desk clerk was rude and unpleasant. The hotel is dated and our room showed obvious signs of wear (eg. broken drawer knobs, stained carpet, etc.). The elevators are loud as hell and were often non-functioning during our stay. The windows do not provide much in the way of sound insulation, as we on the 5th floor could hear clearly, conversations occurring in the parking lot.

The waitstaff at the breakfast restaurant (Zachary's) was super-polite. However, the same could not be said about the "sports bar". Food at both was average.

There are numerous lodging alternatives in the area. Our youth hockey teams will be calling them to accommodate us next year!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank cptjnz
rickskinner60, General Manager at Best Western Royal Plaza Hotel & Trade Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2012

Dear Guest,

I apologize for the inconvenience of the pool closure during your stay. Guest safety is one of our highest priorities and we appreciate your understanding while this was fixed. We are glad you had very friendly service at our breakfast restaurant and have noted your feedback on the other items you listed that need improvement. We are always striving to create the best experience for our guests so thanks for your input.

Reviewed March 3, 2012

Here are some positive and negative points I found.
Positive :
1) Front desk staff are cheerful and appeared helpful (until you have a problem).
2) The hotel seems to by trying to update/upgrade rooms with newer appearing furniture. The room smelt OK.
Negative:
1) The A/C unit in the room made such a laud rumbling sound when it kicks in that we had to turn it off so that we could sleep. I found that there were quite a few people complaining about the same issue on-line and wondering why the management is not addressing such a basic problem for comfort of their customers.
2) Free wi-fi didn't work. I called the front desk, and then the tech service who could not solve the problem and promised to call back ASAP but never called me back. When I told what happened to the front desk as we were checking out, I was told "oh, we have nothing to do with that because they are not part of us". Ok, but you told me to call the tech service and only thing the tech guy did was to aggravate the problem worse. I don't call this a good problem solving service.
3) The hotel elevators, at least 2 of them that I rode, had "failed in inspection" notice from 1-18-2012 and, perhaps has nothing to do with it but was making a awful noise when it comes to stop. The carpet inside the elevators need a serious cleaning or replacement.
4) Some of the fixtures (wall mount coat rack and bathroom towel holding rack) were coming off the wall. I wish I took pictures to share.
We stayed at Best Western because that's where we were assigned to stay for my daughter's soccer tournament. Though we have stayed in many other chain hotels under the similar circumstance, this was the first time we stayed in BW. It quickly became apparent that this hotel survives on serving similar types of group deals catering to people with no other choice but to stay there. Yes, it is not an expensive place to stay, but not the most inexpensive place either. If I had a choice, I would never ever stay here.

Room Tip: Do not stay in 641
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
rickskinner60, General Manager at Best Western Royal Plaza Hotel & Trade Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for recently staying with us. We’re happy to hear you had friendly front desk service and noticed our recent room upgrades. We are a big hotel but we are continually making improvements throughout it to give our guests a better stay. We are aware of some of the A/C units and doing everything as fast as possible to make improvements.