“A slow decline over the years”

Best Western Royal Plaza Hotel & Trade Center
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Marlborough
Reviewed March 28, 2012

This used to be a great value - and while most of the hotel is very clean, there's so much that's tired and in need of repair. We noticed upon arriving that the elevators had failed a recent inspection. We were given a room that hadn't been cleaned. They immediately fixed the problem, and while the staff was great, the room looked as though it was furnished in 1975. I think the TV was older than my college student. It's too bad, because this could be a great value if the chain invested money into updating the facility. Again, the highlight was the staff. They deserve better!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
rickskinner60, General Manager at Best Western Royal Plaza Hotel & Trade Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2012

Dear Guest,

We’re glad that you found our staff was exceptional during your stay. Our hotel is very large but we are working constantly on updating our property. We hope you will stay with us next time to see the improvements and to receive our great value.

Thanks for your feedback,

Reviewed March 10, 2012

I'm a hockey coach, and as the previous reviewer pointed out, this BW caters to group outings as it's main source of income. Unfortunately, the desk staff does not do a very good job of catering to "customer service".
I had reservations for 3 nights. At 11am on day 3 of our stay, the pool was closed for over 4 hours in order to clean up after an overhead light was shattered...yes they thought it a good idea to use glass fixtures in a pool area! Anyhow... upon re-opening, glass was discovered both in the pool and on the surrounding deck. As would be expected, the pool was again closed. This time guests were told that the pool needed to be drained and would not be re-opened during our stay. Upon hearing this, we decided to forego the third night's stay since the pool had been the main attraction for my son and his sisters. As we notified the desk staff of our intent, we were told we had to be billed for a 1/2 day's stay. I debated this issue in light that the hotel could no longer offer a promised amenity and we should not be held responsible for a half day's stay. Had we been made aware that the pool would not be offered to guests, we would have checked out at 11am! Instead, we waited...while being told the pool was closed for "cleaning". The desk staff argued that since we were checking out after 11am, the room could not be "turned over" by housekeeping. This point was laughable, as the parking lot was fractionally full and the hotel obviously was not going to "turn" this room over to any other guests.

The female desk clerk was rude and unpleasant. The hotel is dated and our room showed obvious signs of wear (eg. broken drawer knobs, stained carpet, etc.). The elevators are loud as hell and were often non-functioning during our stay. The windows do not provide much in the way of sound insulation, as we on the 5th floor could hear clearly, conversations occurring in the parking lot.

The waitstaff at the breakfast restaurant (Zachary's) was super-polite. However, the same could not be said about the "sports bar". Food at both was average.

There are numerous lodging alternatives in the area. Our youth hockey teams will be calling them to accommodate us next year!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank cptjnz
rickskinner60, General Manager at Best Western Royal Plaza Hotel & Trade Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2012

Dear Guest,

I apologize for the inconvenience of the pool closure during your stay. Guest safety is one of our highest priorities and we appreciate your understanding while this was fixed. We are glad you had very friendly service at our breakfast restaurant and have noted your feedback on the other items you listed that need improvement. We are always striving to create the best experience for our guests so thanks for your input.

Reviewed March 3, 2012

Here are some positive and negative points I found.
Positive :
1) Front desk staff are cheerful and appeared helpful (until you have a problem).
2) The hotel seems to by trying to update/upgrade rooms with newer appearing furniture. The room smelt OK.
Negative:
1) The A/C unit in the room made such a laud rumbling sound when it kicks in that we had to turn it off so that we could sleep. I found that there were quite a few people complaining about the same issue on-line and wondering why the management is not addressing such a basic problem for comfort of their customers.
2) Free wi-fi didn't work. I called the front desk, and then the tech service who could not solve the problem and promised to call back ASAP but never called me back. When I told what happened to the front desk as we were checking out, I was told "oh, we have nothing to do with that because they are not part of us". Ok, but you told me to call the tech service and only thing the tech guy did was to aggravate the problem worse. I don't call this a good problem solving service.
3) The hotel elevators, at least 2 of them that I rode, had "failed in inspection" notice from 1-18-2012 and, perhaps has nothing to do with it but was making a awful noise when it comes to stop. The carpet inside the elevators need a serious cleaning or replacement.
4) Some of the fixtures (wall mount coat rack and bathroom towel holding rack) were coming off the wall. I wish I took pictures to share.
We stayed at Best Western because that's where we were assigned to stay for my daughter's soccer tournament. Though we have stayed in many other chain hotels under the similar circumstance, this was the first time we stayed in BW. It quickly became apparent that this hotel survives on serving similar types of group deals catering to people with no other choice but to stay there. Yes, it is not an expensive place to stay, but not the most inexpensive place either. If I had a choice, I would never ever stay here.

Room Tip: Do not stay in 641
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
rickskinner60, General Manager at Best Western Royal Plaza Hotel & Trade Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for recently staying with us. We’re happy to hear you had friendly front desk service and noticed our recent room upgrades. We are a big hotel but we are continually making improvements throughout it to give our guests a better stay. We are aware of some of the A/C units and doing everything as fast as possible to make improvements.

Reviewed March 3, 2012

Royal Plaza is average at best but I can not go so far as to rate it as Poor. Rooms are clean and spacious though "tired" as other reviews have noted. Analog tv, loud old-school heating and A/C, bare minimum toiletries. Luckily our room was located in a quieter corner at the end of the hallway. The toilet had the little strip that says it was "sanitized for my protection" but for some reason I always find that suspicious! If your room is at the back of the hotel you will hear the garbage trucks and the semi's as they are parked in the rear. Best to request an end room facing the front.

The "free" breakfast buffet was included with our room rate, but it was VERY basic - stale rolls and bread, hamburger bun bagels, yogurt floating in a bowl of water and some fruit. On the first morning the 2 toasters were not working. At no time did the staff seem concerned with replenishing the breakfast. The hotel was PACKED with groups so the "free" breakfast didn't last long. For $3.95 plus tax and tip one could upgrade to the hot breakfast which was the usual unhealthy bacon, eggs, sausage, etc. Curiously the upgraded breakfast was continuously replenished...The staff seemed more concerned with collecting breakfast coupons than service.

Three of the four elevators had "FAILED" certificates of inspection and were slow openers. We stayed on the fourth floor and took the stairs - which were not easy to find...had to ask for directions to the stairs...that has to be some kind of safety violation.

The place was crawling with uniformed security guards - not sure if it may me feel safer or more creeped out. Our room door looked as if it had been opened with a pry bar at one point...

The Royal Plaza is huge but seems to have a skeleton staff. The lobby was overrun with obviously non-repeat guests - it seems to cater to Hockey Tournaments and there was a wedding on Friday night as well. If you stay here, I would definitely ask to be as far away from the 11-12 year old hockey boys as possible. I am a dog person, however, even I was amazed by the number of people with dogs in the lobby and hallways.

We were with a group as well for a figure skating event in Worcester. I am pretty tolerant with busy hotels but in my opinion, the Royal Plaza can house large groups but doesn't do a particularly good job of servicing them. I'm guessing much of their business is one-time only guests.

Free WI-FI but it did not have the horse-power to function well with a full house - so you definitely can not depend on it at all.

Overall our stay was OK - we were not expecting much and for an East Coast hotel was not horribly priced. I would not choose to stay here again and I definitely would not recommend it for business travel - especially if it is over a weekend.

Room Tip: End of hallway, upper floor if you can take stairs, front of building.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your feedback about your recent stay. I’m glad that you found our rooms to be clean and spacious. We are a very large hotel so we do often host multiple groups at a time. We greatly appreciate your patience with that and have noted your feedback regarding some of the other things you experienced during your stay as we are always striving to give our guests a comfortable stay. We hope that our hotel’s size and budget fits your needs in the future.

Thanks,

Reviewed March 2, 2012

I stayed here with two colleagues for 2 nights on business from the UK. We arrived around dinner time and were booked in straight away - but with no personable service. My room was spacious with the usual king size bed. It was clean, if a little dated and the heating was controlled by a large air-conditioning unit. The positive about this large, noisy unit was that it was manually controlled.

The bathroom was clean. The toiletries were of an ok standard but I didn't use them.

I met my colleagues for a drink in the bar. I was asked for ID which as a 37 year old woman I found quite offensive - added to the fact I was patronisingly referred to as Miss even though I had my wedding rings on and was older than the bar man! This was surpassed on the second night when my colleagues were asked for ID - they are both in their late forties - and when we questioned why, we were told it was policy. It wasn't until the bar manager came to see us that they were allowed to have the drinks they had ordered. Madness!!!!!

Anyway, I digress. We had our drinks but decided to leave the food as the menu was pretty bland and the only conversation taking place was between the bar man and another guest about the basketball game they were paying attention to. We were the only guests in the bar though so I suppose there was not much else going on!!

I slept well and the bed was comfy, as I generally find when I am in the States. The shower was easy to operate and of a good temperature.

The breaksfast was typcial state-side fair. Not much choice of healthy food, just a small fruit selection and a few yogurts (not low fat). The general choice was pancakes, waffles, 'English' breakfast, a selection of bread and rolls, jam, porridge and french toast. Enough to be going on with! We were served immediately but again, not many other people around so the waiting staff weren't stretched.

The really low notes of this stay were my colleague's keys being locked so he could not get back in his room after breakfast on the second day - and being asked for ID to prove who he was so his key could be activated....of course his ID was in his room!

The housecleaning department also mislaid my pyjama top, which I am still trying to track down. I have no hope that it will be found so I am hopefully going to be more successful with my compensation. I was initially told, no we cannot find it - sorry. I think the receptionist was slightly surprised when I asked - so how are you going to compensate me?

I am still communicating with the hotel staff......update will follow!

Overall, there are other hotels in the area so I would not choose this particular one again - unless all the others were full and I had to stay somewhere.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank kelembee

Dear Guest,

We’re glad that you found our rooms clean and comfortable. Our apologies for any unsatisfactory parts of your stay. We are always striving to serve our guests the best way possible and continue to improve our hotel and staff. Please contact me if anything is left unresolved.

Reviewed February 5, 2012

It's rather cheap and provides good value for the money.
Air conditioner in the room was noisy, but otherwise the room was OK and clean.

• Stayed: February 2012
rickskinner60, General Manager at Best Western Royal Plaza Hotel & Trade Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2012

Dear Guest,
I’m glad you found our hotel a good value for what you paid, and that your room was clean. We strive for every guest to have an enjoyable stay which it sounds like you had with us. Thanks for the review and I hope you’ll stay with us again the next trip you visit!

Reviewed January 30, 2012

Had been to hotel in past for company training and always thought it looked nice. This time here for local hockey tournament and several teams and families here for weekend and this review is for how well the hotel presented for THIS particular crowd.

I will say this...the hotel prepared well(did a great job), setting aside rooms on the first floor for kids to rough-house, keeping an abundance of security patrolling to keep the hallways quiet and having large areas set up for family parties and dining - the breakfast buffet was excellent. On the negative side, I think having hockey parents in large order takes it toll on the hotel staff as I thought the check-out person (unfriendly young woman) didn't need to make me sweat/dance when I asked for a later check out (1 pm - as a few of the other teams had requested) and the bar staff could have been better prepared and on its toes. If I am a bartender there with paying customers waiting, I am busting my butt to make tips...but maybe this group has a different pay plan. We were shaking our heads at times. Finally, the elevators felt a little shaky with one of them in particular having failed a recent inspection and with a door that takes so long to open that its passengers begin to sweat...yikes.

Back to the positive, the management was very responsive to special requests. You don't expect the Four Seasons when you enter a situation like this...the hotel will likely need a refresh in the coming years too including flat screen TVs.....but for the reasonable money paid, the convenient location with restaurants abound... not to mention the excellent included breakfast, I have to give this hotel high marks for dealing with the hockey parent crowd while trying hard to keep other stayers happy.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
rickskinner60, General Manager at Best Western Royal Plaza Hotel & Trade Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for the review of your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with the hockey team! Thanks for letting us know you thought our breakfast, security and customer service were excellent! We hope that you will stay with us again soon.