All reviews large hotel breakfast buffet hockey tournament front desk staff new england bed was very comfortable plenty of parking business trip great experience fitness center conference jeff bw webb event expo convenience
Reviewed March 2, 2012

I stayed here with two colleagues for 2 nights on business from the UK. We arrived around dinner time and were booked in straight away - but with no personable service. My room was spacious with the usual king size bed. It was clean, if a little dated and the heating was controlled by a large air-conditioning unit. The positive about this large, noisy unit was that it was manually controlled.

The bathroom was clean. The toiletries were of an ok standard but I didn't use them.

I met my colleagues for a drink in the bar. I was asked for ID which as a 37 year old woman I found quite offensive - added to the fact I was patronisingly referred to as Miss even though I had my wedding rings on and was older than the bar man! This was surpassed on the second night when my colleagues were asked for ID - they are both in their late forties - and when we questioned why, we were told it was policy. It wasn't until the bar manager came to see us that they were allowed to have the drinks they had ordered. Madness!!!!!

Anyway, I digress. We had our drinks but decided to leave the food as the menu was pretty bland and the only conversation taking place was between the bar man and another guest about the basketball game they were paying attention to. We were the only guests in the bar though so I suppose there was not much else going on!!

I slept well and the bed was comfy, as I generally find when I am in the States. The shower was easy to operate and of a good temperature.

The breaksfast was typcial state-side fair. Not much choice of healthy food, just a small fruit selection and a few yogurts (not low fat). The general choice was pancakes, waffles, 'English' breakfast, a selection of bread and rolls, jam, porridge and french toast. Enough to be going on with! We were served immediately but again, not many other people around so the waiting staff weren't stretched.

The really low notes of this stay were my colleague's keys being locked so he could not get back in his room after breakfast on the second day - and being asked for ID to prove who he was so his key could be activated....of course his ID was in his room!

The housecleaning department also mislaid my pyjama top, which I am still trying to track down. I have no hope that it will be found so I am hopefully going to be more successful with my compensation. I was initially told, no we cannot find it - sorry. I think the receptionist was slightly surprised when I asked - so how are you going to compensate me?

I am still communicating with the hotel staff......update will follow!

Overall, there are other hotels in the area so I would not choose this particular one again - unless all the others were full and I had to stay somewhere.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank kelembee
rickskinner60, General Manager at Best Western Royal Plaza Hotel & Trade Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2012

Dear Guest,

We’re glad that you found our rooms clean and comfortable. Our apologies for any unsatisfactory parts of your stay. We are always striving to serve our guests the best way possible and continue to improve our hotel and staff. Please contact me if anything is left unresolved.

Reviewed February 5, 2012

It's rather cheap and provides good value for the money.
Air conditioner in the room was noisy, but otherwise the room was OK and clean.

• Stayed: February 2012
rickskinner60, General Manager at Best Western Royal Plaza Hotel & Trade Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2012

Dear Guest,
I’m glad you found our hotel a good value for what you paid, and that your room was clean. We strive for every guest to have an enjoyable stay which it sounds like you had with us. Thanks for the review and I hope you’ll stay with us again the next trip you visit!

Reviewed January 30, 2012

Had been to hotel in past for company training and always thought it looked nice. This time here for local hockey tournament and several teams and families here for weekend and this review is for how well the hotel presented for THIS particular crowd.

I will say this...the hotel prepared well(did a great job), setting aside rooms on the first floor for kids to rough-house, keeping an abundance of security patrolling to keep the hallways quiet and having large areas set up for family parties and dining - the breakfast buffet was excellent. On the negative side, I think having hockey parents in large order takes it toll on the hotel staff as I thought the check-out person (unfriendly young woman) didn't need to make me sweat/dance when I asked for a later check out (1 pm - as a few of the other teams had requested) and the bar staff could have been better prepared and on its toes. If I am a bartender there with paying customers waiting, I am busting my butt to make tips...but maybe this group has a different pay plan. We were shaking our heads at times. Finally, the elevators felt a little shaky with one of them in particular having failed a recent inspection and with a door that takes so long to open that its passengers begin to sweat...yikes.

Back to the positive, the management was very responsive to special requests. You don't expect the Four Seasons when you enter a situation like this...the hotel will likely need a refresh in the coming years too including flat screen TVs.....but for the reasonable money paid, the convenient location with restaurants abound... not to mention the excellent included breakfast, I have to give this hotel high marks for dealing with the hockey parent crowd while trying hard to keep other stayers happy.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
rickskinner60, General Manager at Best Western Royal Plaza Hotel & Trade Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for the review of your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with the hockey team! Thanks for letting us know you thought our breakfast, security and customer service were excellent! We hope that you will stay with us again soon.

Reviewed January 25, 2012

Stayed here one snowing winter day. Room service is overpriced, but the hotel is comfortable and clean.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
rickskinner60, General Manager at Best Western Royal Plaza Hotel & Trade Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thanks for leaving us a review of your recent stay on TripAdvisor! We’re glad you were pleased with your experience at our hotel and hope you will stay with us again the next time you are in our area.

Reviewed January 17, 2012

I stayed only one night at this hotel in April 2011. This large hotel has great prices for the area and the overall stay was good. I was lucky to stay on a quiet time even on the eve of the Boston Marathon. The rooms are average, seemed to be mostly clean but the age is really stating to show. I performed a full bedbug inspection and found no sighns of the nasty critters. As always I check the bedbug registry before I book and this one was not on it at the time and I hope it is still "clean" of the critters. I didn't eat at the hotel because there was alot of good places to eat around there but the sports bar at the hotel seemed to be a good bet for a game night. The service at the desk was a little slow and that was annoying since I could count the few cars in the parking lot. But overall, I would return and will likely have travel in the area soon. Stayed tuned for an update. Oh, almost forgot about the elevators. Better plan extra time since they are VERY slow and the stairs will be much faster on a busy hotel day.

Room Tip: Stay on the lower floors to avoid the SLOW elevators.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at the Best Western Royal Plaza Hotel and Trade Center. We're glad that you found our hotel clean and quiet. We are always trying to make improvements at our hotel so your feedback is appreciated. We look forward to having you stay with us again for your next trip.