All reviewslarge hotelbreakfast buffethockey tournamentfront desk staffnew englandbed was very comfortableplenty of parkingbusiness tripgreat experiencefitness centerconferencejeffbwwebbeventexpoconvenience
Reviewed December 16, 2011

I've stayed here quite a few times over the last few years when I'm in town visiting family. The last time I stayed there, the toilet had major problems which I noticed when I first entered the room. I called down to the desk and someone came up and gave me a plunger. Great. The shower had not been cleaned, there was hair in it and there were quite a few stains on the floor. I ended up keeping the room and just sleeping since I had just finished a 4.5 hour drive. They give you free continental breakfast if you eat in the restaurant downstairs which is sort of annoying if you just want to grab a bagel or something to go without actually sitting down. I no longer stay at this hotel. When I am in Marlboro I stay at the Hampton Inn ONLY! I highly recommend the Hampton Inn...they have free hot breakfast that you grab and go! The rooms and beds in general are also much nicer at the Hampton. Whenever I have had issues at the Royal Plaza Hotel I never felt like the staff really cared or went above and beyond to rectify the situation. Leaving a plunger outside my door wasn't really that helpful. Do yourself a favor, drive another 2 seconds down route 20 and stay at the Hampton Inn!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank S R
rickskinner60, General Manager at Best Western Royal Plaza Hotel & Trade Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your review. We are sad to hear about your unsatisfactory stay. We have noted your feedback and have shared your experience with our staff as we are always striving to provide the best guest service. If anything was not resolved from your stay please let us know at jkerrigan@rplazahotels.com.

Reviewed November 5, 2011

My partner and I spent four nights in this hotel as part of a tour of Boston and New England. The reviews that we had read prior to the trip had worried us and even the hotel's website wasn't particularly reassuring but as soon as we stepped into the hotel we were relieved. Admittedly this hotel is a little tired and dated, but for the purpose of our stay - as a base for visiting many of New England's popular sites - it is conveniently located near to the Mass Turnpike meaning you can avoid the heavy city traffic of Boston and other areas. OK, it's an hour or so to the centre of Boston but it's also a quarter of the price of a Boston hotel! The staff were friendly and helpful and the hotel itself, although in need of a little freshening up, had everything we needed (although we didn't do much other than sleep and eat breakfast here). Breakfast was always good with a wide variety of both hot and cold items and there was always plenty to go round. We did, however, find ourseleves getting up a little earlier than perhaps we ordinarily would have to avoid having to queue for a table.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
rickskinner60, General Manager at Best Western Royal Plaza Hotel & Trade Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at the Best Western Royal Plaza Hotel and Trade Center. We're pleased that you found our location convenient and that our staff was friendly and helpful. We made a note of your suggestion to add more tables in the eating area and to improve the decor of the interior. We’re glad you had an enjoyable stay and hope that we will be able to host you again soon.

Thanks,

Reviewed October 24, 2011

We stayed four nights at this HUGE hotel
Although on the fourth floor the HOTEL'S airconditioning was unbearably noisy
We got ourselves moved three times before a suitable room was found - the reception staff did not understand the layout of the hotel and just kept moving us on the same corridor
You need to be on the odd numbered rooms - as I remember
Once a quite room was found it was good, we even had a view from our window
The vending machines in the corridord made them VERY hot - this was OCTOBER note!
Waiting for the lift in thse corridors was almost ubearable becaus eof the heat and dead air

We te "sport bar"restaurant twice and thefood was good but a quiiter restaurant area would have made our eating experience better
Ver badly designed hoel but the staff were as helpful as there traing allowed

Room Tip: Get a room away from the hotel's VERY, VERY noisy airconditioning units I think these were the Odd numbered room
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sparkfishes
rickskinner60, General Manager at Best Western Royal Plaza Hotel & Trade Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your review. We are glad our staff was accommodating in finding you a suitable replacement room and were helpful. We are always making improvements to our hotel layout and features but want to ensure our staff is helpful and friendly which you said you experienced. We have noted your feedback and appreciate you staying with us. If anything was not resolved from your stay please let us know at jkerrigan@rplazahotels.com.

Reviewed October 23, 2011

We also went as part of a tour and several of our party had problems with their rooms. Our room, altho on the fourth floor, was above the kitchen ventilation system and there was a constant drone from it, luckily as it was constant we got used to it. The room was clean and tidy, beds comfortable and were well serviced. I echo the comments about the elevators, with four available you would have thought it would be easy to get one, but there was always a queue. Also on our floor there was an ice machine that could heat a continent on its own, made the corridor an insufferable place to stand for too long (i.e. when waiting for an elevator). Breakfast was also a scrum, with not enough seating for the size of the hotel, too few staff and too cramped servery, leading to long queues just for toast. However the food was hot and plentiful. Ate in the bar restaurant, where the food was excellent and staff very friendly

Room Tip: Do not get one over looking the kitchens!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank plancky

Dear Guest,

Thanks for telling us about your stay. We’re glad you found our breakfast hot and plentiful, that our staff was friendly and our rooms clean and comfortable. We strive for the service you receive to be the best. It sounds like you experienced that, which makes us happy and hopefully made for a great stay. We will take your feedback about staffing the breakfast area to our team. We’re always making improvements to our hotel so we appreciate your review. We hope you will come back to experience the excellent food and staff again!

Thanks,

Reviewed October 12, 2011

I have just returned from a Travelsphere tour of Boston, New York & Washington that was mentioned in a previous review.
Having read that review I was deeply concerned about the flea pit that we might be going to and my husband and I decided we would be able to 'grin and bear it' for 2 nights....

What utter nonsense. What do people expect? If you want Marriott, Sheraton, Waldorf Astoria standards then go there.
This hotel is absolutely FINE - it is clean and tidy, the carpets and furnishings are fine, the rooms are spacious, there is a large bathroom with adequate towels and toiletries. The beds are comfortable and the bedding is clean and there are plenty of pillows.
In fact I would say the furnishings were excellent and well co-ordinated. They didn't look old, worn or tired to me. Quite the reverse in fact.

What more exactly do you want for Travelsphere prices? (and they are not cheap, they are brilliant value for money)
We had a complimentary breakfast both mornings and it was fine - lots of choice and hot food was exactly that - hot.

I have 3 small gripes about the hotel.

1. It is a long way out of Boston - about 30 miles.
2. Someone needs to properly program the lifts so that they operate as a unit and don't fly around all over the place. Even when operated from inside they will go up and not down etc if they choose.
3. Sort out the breakfast queue. It is demeaning to have to queue out into reception for food. More tables, extend the area, employ more staff. It's not rocket science.

Other than those 3 gripes I would recommend this hotel without any concerns at all - I do wonder what motivates some people to write what they do, and what their own homes are like.

We ate out in Boston at night so can't comment on the hotel's evening dinner but it certainly wasn't a problem for those of our party who walked across to the shopping outlet a couple of hundred yards away.

Many of our party had read that review and it was a matter for discussion that it simply isn't true.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank EPD
rickskinner60, General Manager at Best Western Royal Plaza Hotel & Trade Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2011

Dear NEScenicTraveler,

We greatly appreciate your review of your recent stay with us! It makes us very happy to hear your praise for our hotel and its amenities/staff. We also appreciate your feedback regarding areas of improvement as we are always striving to improve our guests’ experience. I will take this feedback to our staff. We hope that you will stay with us again on your next trip out here, and thanks again for telling us about your wonderful stay!