“So glad we discovered this gem!” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Westender
Ranked #105 of 150 Restaurants in Marlborough
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Massachusetts
“So glad we discovered this gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

I was wowed by the Westender!! We have lived in Northborough for 15 years. I drive by this place every day but until I was invited to hear a band play on a Friday night, I'd never been. I'm disappointed that it took me so long! What a great place!

We went back 5 days later because we couldn't wait to try something else on the menu! Dessert!! We had a few different ones. The lava cake was my favorite but everything was great. They have a full bar and the cocktails were terrific. My husband sticks to beer and he was happy. Can't go wrong with the bar options!

The service is friendly and efficient. The food is great! Stick to pub food and you will be happy! I got the fish & chips. They say it's all-you-can-eat (12.99) but the plate is large and one was enough for me. The fish was fresh, not greasy and just delicious. My husband had the fajitas which were amazing ^ the veggies were really fresh. My teen had the nachos and wow, they had lots of good stuff on them. Yum!

The vibe is what we really like here! It's relaxed and "chill" and has a real pub-feel. The band we saw was fabulous but the next time we went and there was no live music. Still a great atmosphere. It's not snooty or fancy but it's not a dicey atmosphere either. We saw a diverse bunch of people both times- families, couples, groups after work. Just a great neighborhood feel.

I can't wait to return!!

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Netlizard

Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Good Food - Many Draftt Beer/Ale Selections”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

This is a casual bar and restaurant where you have a complete menu and a wide variety of ales and beers on tap. I see no point drinking bottled beer/ale at any restaurant because I can do that at home. But a pub that has excellent choices on tap and knows how to serve it, is a treat I enjoy when I want an adult beverage. Over several months The Westender knows how to pour and serve a good draft. On sporting events, like the Patriots Games,, they offer 35 cent wings which is great for groups who want casual finger food, an adult beverage and view their favorite sporting event on the TVs that this place has scattered throughout their establishment. I doubt there is a seat where you cannot view at least one TV airing your favorite team. Their Burgers are cooked exactly as you order them. Their sandwiches are well made and so far I have not found any menu item I have felt did not meet my expectations. Service is fine as well. Some of the servers are friendly, some are not. But they do their job and get you your food and drink in a timely fashion.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Stephen B
Marlborough, Massachusetts
“knowingly served substandard food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

Ribs had very little meat on them. I complained and they said the delivery was not the best tonight. OK then, dont serve it.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank NLMarlborough
WORCESTER
“Fun pub atmosphere, good food and great drinks.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2012

I met a few friends at the Westender for dinner and drinks. Outside it looks like a regular restaurant, inside it looks like a sports bar/pub. There were a few tv's on showing different sporting events. Then we learned a new large projection screen had been installed in the corner and they turned it on for the Celtics game. It would be a great place to watch a big game. We also saw that they were working on installing an outdoor seating area.

Everyones drinks were great. The food was good too. We shared Nachos to start with a side of chili and those were delicious. I had chicken broccoli alfredo and that was average. I sampled friends dinners and loved the fried halibut and pasta.

I will definitely go back. I heard from one of my friends in the group, who goes here regularly that the Westender gets live music in all the time and that the place typically doesn't get busy till later. So a great place you can get in early, get your table and enjoy the sporting event or music.

• Visited May 2012
Berlin, MA USA
“No customers ??”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012

Went on a Sunday night at about 6 PM. One guy sitting at the bar. Nobody else in the place.
Placed our order and it took at least 25 minutes for the food to arrive. The meals were very much OK. But, why so long to deliver to your only customer? Maybe they were thawing the hamburger?
Who knows....but I have major concerns with restaurants with no customers. Is the food fresh? How can it be unless they are throwing away food daily. We were there for 1 hour, left at 7PM, still not any other customer in the place. And still just one guy at the bar.
I can not see how I can return. Too many questions. What's the problem??
FYI.....went by Guiseppe's one mile down the road on the way home....parking lot nearly full.
I don't see how this place can survive....too bad.... nice decor and decent food.

• Visited May 2012