“Charming!!!!”

Ranked #1 of 19 Marblehead B&B and Inns
Cape Cod, MA
“Charming!!!!”
Reviewed November 7, 2008

My husband and I had a wonderful weekend in this charming, romantic gem in the center of historical Marblehead. Everything that we wanted was within walking distance, shopping, restaurants and the harbor. We never had to use our car. In addition, the staff was great, very helpful.

• Liked — romantic
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Peoria Heights, IL
Reviewed October 15, 2008

My wife and I stayed two nights at this Bed and Breakfast. There are so many things I could say about our trip and how we found this gem...Five stars throughout! There was a seven or eight year old German boy that was sent to turn in his parents' key. You could tell he was a little uncomfortable not being able to speak english when, Susan, the manager greeted him. As soon as she found out which room he was in, she began speaking German! This kids' eyes lit up and he was so happy. If that doesn't give you a great description, I don't know what will. The staff goes the extra mile and then some. Our only problem was having to check out and we could have stayed at least another day or two! The food is so spectacular. I only had one piece of a sausage and spinach casserole and wanted more... sure enough, out comes another dish. They recently added a lounge that was the perfect ending to one of our nights there. Ask for the room with the "Widow's Walk" if the weather is nice. It was fabulous and I talked my wife into keeping the door open so I could smell the ocean when I woke up. Not only that, when the wind was perfect, we could hear the ocean! This was only our second Bed and Breakfast experience but it will be hard to compare any others to these two nights. Peter, Susan and to the rest of the staff... we cannot wait to get back. Thank you for your part in the most wonderful honeymoon we could imagine.

• Liked — The Staff and the location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
nj
Reviewed August 16, 2008

Great location, friendly staff and very nice room and bath.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
GA
Reviewed June 28, 2008

I am a business traveler who has had the good fortune of staying at the Harbor Light on a regular basis for the past year. I think most travelers would describe themselves as being either a "hotel person" or a "B&B/Inn person". I'm definitely the latter.

As with most Inns, the rooms at the Harbor Light are of varying sizes and personalities. All have private baths - some with showers, some with tubs, some with large, jetted tubs. All rooms have TV's; some have DVD players, stereo systems, and/or fireplaces. There is an outdoor pool that is open during the summer. There's also a pleasant courtyard out back, with several tables for outdoor dining (you could take your breakfast there during the warmer months, or bring a take-out meal back to the inn during other times of the day).

Breakfasts are quite good with something that will suit most everyone. There's always a bowl of fresh fruit, instant oatmeal, juices, a variety of breads, yogurt, coffee, tea and either an egg-based or bread-based dish (French toast, quiche, etc.). During the off season I've been the only guest on a few nights, and the innkeepers always ask what I'd like to have for breakfast. They've whipped up some really nice omelets and such on those mornings.

As a business traveler, I frequently work from my room in the evenings. Some rooms have desks, others do not. There is wireless internet access with a reliable signal. Some rooms are a bit noisier than others, which is the case any time you're staying away from home. (Hint - always pack a pair of cheap, foam earplugs - just in case.) Single female travelers will feel safe at the Inn.

The staff at the Inn rate an A+ across the board. They are friendly and will go out of their way to make your stay pleasant. I had a family emergency during one of my stays, and they were incredibly caring and supportive.

The Harbor Light is in the area known as "Old Marblehead", and there are many shops and restaurants within easy strolling distance. The innkeepers are quick to provide suggestions for restaurants, and there are menus available for a number of local eateries. Shubie's Market has excellent prepared food available - they have a few tables inside their store, and you can also get items packaged for take-out.

If you're driving in Marblehead, be forewarned that the streets aren't laid out on a grid system. I'm told that the original cow paths were paved to create the roads, so many of the streets are narrow and winding. Bring your sense of adventure, because getting from point A to B isn't always straightforward!

• Liked — Great staff
  • Disliked — Some rooms can be a bit noisy
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Merrimack NH
Reviewed December 16, 2007

We wanted a charming, intimate location for our wedding. We found the perfect place! Susan made everything so easy, she was amazing! Since we are from out of town, she was able to recommend a florist, caterer and photographer! She went out of her way to make sure that every detail was perfect! We were snowed in, so got to watch the Patriots win again on the big screen and Susan made that a special occaision for us as well, by serving us freshly made cookies and beverages. I can not emphasize enough what a truly wonderful experience we have had at the Harbor Light Inn, and we look forward to many nore visits to come.

• Liked — The service that we received was amazing.
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
Cleveland
Reviewed November 10, 2007

The inn is actually a combination of two original houses, both built in the early 1700's. The inn itself is neat - winding staircases which are a bit of a mish-mash undoubtedly due to combining the houses. Almost all woodwork is original, although some is in need of removal of many years of paint. The inn is right on Washington, within walking distance of several restaurants and at the end of many small, nice shops. The exterior of the inn was in reasonable shape, until you look up at the gutters which were rotted clear through in several places.

The person attending the desk when we checked in was very nice. He showed us around, and brought our luggage up to our room. He also offered to make us dinner reservations and helped with a map and restaurant suggestions. He offered wine glasses & corkscrew and had coffee, tea and hot chocolate available 24x7.

We stayed in room 21, which admittedly was a cheaper room (they are all expensive, though). It was small but still reasonably sized and had a decent closet and bathroom. The decor was minimal, but appropriate to the inn/room. The view is to the street with electrical wires across the top of the windows. We had no trouble with street noise.

The shower and floor grout both could really use re-grouting. The bed was one of the worst I've slept in - not something I expect for an expensive inn. The pillows were not much better. I normally sleep quite easily, but here I didn't sleep well either night.

The chocolates on our nightstand were a nice touch, but again, I expected more amenities for this class of inn. The toiletries were just average.

As far as breakfast, we got mostly continental-type breakfast food, such as cereal, some breads which were good and juice. There was one hot casserole on a warming plate which ran out both mornings for a time and wasn't very warm. All food was self-serve. The only person somewhat attending did not speak English well, and seemed to only bus tables. Breakfast is served in a newer room that was quite nice, but overall, the experience was disappointing.

• Liked — The location was super, right in downtown Marblehead.
  • Disliked — The bed and pillows were really uncomfortable.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
Reviewed October 27, 2007

This is a lovely B&B located in beautiful old Marblehead. The lady at reception when we checked in was very nice and always happy to assist.

The room is pretty with nice little touches like the thick soft tissues and lovely smelling moisturiser. The bathroom is quite nice, the bed comfortable and the breakfast tasty, though we were sorry that the highly rated creme brulee french toast was not on offer when we were there.

Marblehead is a much more quaint and beautiful place to stay in then Salem. If visiting Salem, I would recommend staying in Marblehead and driving over to Salem, which is very touristy and like an open disneyland. And if staying in Marblehead, I would highly recommend the Harbor Light Inn.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing. It's a great B&B!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank KYP2007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marblehead
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
#2 of 7 in Gloucester
Marblehead Inn
Marblehead Inn
#2 of 19 in Marblehead

Been to Harbor Light Inn? Share your experiences!