“Great Food & Bar”

Add it.
Jack Tar American Tavern
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A tavern in historic Marblehead serving comfort foods like mac-and-cheese and soups, as well as pizzas and sandwiches.
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We sat at the bar and had great pizza and a hamburger. The most tasty thing was the hot potato chips (home made) with gorgonzola cheese and bacon crumbled on top.

Get there between 5 - 7 pm for $5 pizza.

1  Thank BACCHANAL

Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband and I dined here while staying at a B&B down the street. It was close by, so we gave it a shot. It has a nice atmosphere & the staff was friendly. We did not wait very long to be seated. The owners were hands on also. Before entering the restaurant, there is a hallway/entry way with some articles about the chef. We loved that we were able to support a JWU alum {my husband and I are JWU alum also}. We would eat here again! I would like to come by during the summer months.

1  Thank Brianne P
Reviewed January 22, 2013

My friends recently moved to Marblehead so we decided to try a local restaurant. I looked over their menu on their main website, and saw butternut squash ravioli. I sure have a soft spot for that, so I knew exactly what I was going to order. We made reservations, and when we got there our table was set, and water was already on the table. Looking over the menu the whole "Pastas & Rice" section was gone. I was kind of sad about this, and a little taken back since it's up on their website, which I would hope they'd update with any changes. I looked over the menu and ended up ordering the Jack Tar salad, since I wasn't overly hungry. The flavors were amazing, though the dressing was a little over powering. I definitely suggest using a larger plate, since the salad is tall it needs a place to fall. I lost some good cheese pieces. Overall my experience was good. My friends say this is one of their favorite places to go, and I must say if I lived nearby I would probably come here often.
They don't take reservations during high volume time. I think we called around 6 and were told we couldn't reserve anything before 7pm.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

fun restaurant - always a good sign when you see lots of local people going there frequently. very cozy and upbeat - good menu and reasonably priced.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

This was our first visit to Marblehead, MA, and we checked TripAdvisor and were attracted to the personal-size pizza special from 5-7 p.m. It was the best value!! Plenty for my husband and I to share; we also ordered a generous salad that we shared as well. My husband appreciated a delicious local brew and we shared a dessert. I had a great espresso. The bill came, and it was shockingly low! We will make a bee-line back to Jack-Tar the next time we are in the area. Really yummy food at a great price. Also many families with young children, enjoying the remarkable value and welcoming, friendly atmosphere.