“Terrific food, not full of tourists”
Review of The Barnacle

The Barnacle
Ranked #4 of 58 Restaurants in Marblehead
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I was referred here by the owner of the B & B I stayed in. This is definitely a locals' hangout and not a tourist destination. There was one person serving an extremely crowded dining room, as well as seating people and clearing tables. She did it all with panache! The chowder is fantastic, and I had fried clams which were delicious and fat-bellied. Not fancy, but the down-home down-east cooking of my childhood—simple, hearty, fresh, full of the sea.

There are newer reviews for The Barnacle

Reviewed October 12, 2012

On a recent holiday I tried this restaurant. I was looking for authentic local food and did not know what to expect. The food was excellent and so different than food from my country. I tried the chowder and fried oysters. Both were very good and the location and the atmosphere made for a great experience.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

We had dinner here, and all of us enjoyed our meals. The waterfront view, which we could enjoy for only a short time before sundown, was wonderful. The salads included with our meals were very generous, and most of our entree portion sizes were, too (I did note that the swordfish portion one of our party had was a little mean, but that was the exception). The food was delicious, and desserts won raves. Service was friendly and attentive, and we were surprised by the reasonable prices. It's not fancy, but we'd go back again in a heartbeat.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Small restaurant on the water. Most of us had whole lobster or lobster rolls. Those who had a crab cake sandwich said it was good. Good atmosphere.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

Very rustic, charming restaurant/bar, right on the waterfront... with great views and even better Bloody Marys!