“As Usual a Wonderful Time with Diane at Marblehead Inn”
Review of Marblehead Inn

Marblehead Inn
Ranked #2 of 19 Marblehead B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 8, 2011

Marblehead Inn, is like a second home for me. I visit once or twice per year and i am always welcomed by Diane' smile. I have stayed in most of the rooms. All are quite comfortable. Location is great. Formerly, being a Marblehead resident I am quite knowledgeable about the area and the advantages the Inn has in its location.

The continental breakfast has always been a favorite of mine. I have met so many people from distant places. The conversations we have are wonderful.

I noticed as i walked in to the Inn, I noticed a beautiful new rug in all the common areas. Diane shared with me tha the Inn is under new ownership who are in the process of designing accomadations and ammenities for their visitors.

I look forward to my next visit

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank JohnV12
There are newer reviews for Marblehead Inn

Reviewed August 29, 2010

A group of us stayed at the Inn on the last weekend in August - mix of friends aged 20 - 55+. We were _very_ pleased with the quality of the rooms and the wonderful staff - very friendly & helpful, with lots of good advice on local restaurants and activities. Rooms were clean and well cared-for, and every suite had its own character. Downtown is quite a distance if you are walking (15-20 minutes), but there are good take-outs nearby and the "Three Cod Tavern" (Great food and friendly service) is only a 10 minute walk away. For those who want to "eat in", Shubies is close by and offers a good selection of wines, cheeses & munchies ('just wish it would stay open past 8 pm...)

We would be happy to stay there again, and will recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed October 19, 2009

I arrived at the Marblehead Inn at 4:15 pm in the afternoon. I paid close attention to the time I arrived when I was booking the room, the Inn, Keeper Diane, was very adamant knowing my arrival time. I told her I would be arriving between 3:00 to 4:00 pm/
I walked into the Inn and was greeted by a woman who I found out worked “at the front desk. I told her I was checking in and she brought me to my room, but stated she did not know where the room key was, but would locate it shortly. I then went to my car to get the rest of my bags. When I returned, I was informed that she gave me the wrong room. I was a bit surprised, but was fine to move to the correct room as I had not unpacked or settled yet.

So I moved my things out of room #1, but then was informed that “my room” would not be available as it was still being cleaned. I overheard the front desk person talk to the house keeper. I understand Spanish so I was able to understand the housekeeper say the room would be ready in 30 minutes. However, the front desk person, came back and said that it would be ready in 15 minutes.

At this point, I needed to be getting ready for an event I was going to a party in Marblehead that evening and really did not have the time to spare. So shared my quandary with the front desk person, she thought for a second and did the right thing; she offered me a room that was available. She was nervous about doing so but told be that Diane, had given her the ok to give us another room if the person checking in did not arrive by 1pm. So I moved all of my things into room #2, and I began getting ready for my event. After unpacking , showering, and doing hair, my friend who was sharing the room arrived and began getting ready. So about a half hour passes before I answered a knock at the door. It was the front desk person, stating that Diane is requesting that we go to our original room because the room she gave us was more expensive and it was unacceptable for us to be in a more expensive room.

Frustrated and exasperated, we gave in and packed up out things to do room #3 of the day. After being asked to leave the room and re-packing all of my belongings which I had completely unpacked, I went into the hall to find the owner/manager of the inn, Dianne. I told her I had not experienced anything like this in the past while traveling, she became very angry and stated "I wish this was the biggest problem I had in my life" and went on speaking to me quite rudely, when I asked her why she was treating me rudely she stated "you have been rude to us", I have no idea what she was referring to. She then took me to the new room and threw the key on the bureau and stated "you are welcome to stay elsewhere". Had we not had the 50th birthday party of my dear friend at that moment(we were actually late due to the having to move, unplug our curing irons, etc...), I would have left immediately. In the midst of the frantic move, my friend was burnt herself on her curling iron during and suffered an awful second degree burn which required medical attention.

This was an awful experience, I am a social worker and interact with people regularly, this was the worst interaction I have experienced in as long as I can remember. I felt verbally abused and totally mistreated.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
8  Thank Masstravelgirl_9
Reviewed May 24, 2009

We were traveling from NYC to Marblehead for a family event and the Inn was blocked out by the family hosts four months in advance. We promptly booked a specific room. After a while, we called the Innkeeper Diane to ask for our confirmation as we did not receive as she had promised. It was a good thing I called as she had the wrong date entered. We did re-confirm and we still had the specific room we requested. We called a third time one week ahead of time to be certain our room was confirmed.

This time, Diane said in a casual manner, "Oh yeah, I moved you to another room." When we questioned why, as the Inn was blocked out by the hosts months in advance for family members and we had specifically asked for a particular room, she replied, "Oh, you won't be disappointed. You'll like this room too." Even though the room was inferior to what we had requested and was the same price as the original room, when we insisted we wanted the room we had booked months prior, she became angry and abusive and cancelled our reservation.

We have been traveling at B&Bs for many years, and have NEVER encountered such unprofessional behaviour. We do understand that sometimes at B&Bs travel requests may not be honored, but when the entire Inn was blocked out months in advance for family only, we found that giving a room away to an outside guest is unacceptable. There are plenty of other Inns that are just as nice if not nicer in Marblehead and we recommend you avoide this Inn!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank NYCTravelingGal
Reviewed January 28, 2009

I was re-locating to Marblehead and needed a place to hang my hat for several weeks as my plans were finalized. The Marblehead Inn was perfect! It quickly felt like home. My suite, which was tastefully furnished, was wired for internet and cable. Breakfast was available daily, but I also was able to prepare meals in my own kitchenette. The staff was professional and friendly and made every accomodation I needed. The location was great for exploring the downtown Historic District (dense with colonial houses from the 1600s & 1700s). Stunning ocean views were just minutes away by car on Marblehead Neck. My rating is 'exellent'. I would recommend The Marblehead Inn for both short and long visits to Boston's North Shore.

Jean O'Neil, Boston, MA

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank HappyFeetBoston_MA
Reviewed October 11, 2008

We booked a third floor king bed suite for one night with a quoted rate of $189.00 per night at the Marblehead Inn. My husband and I were visiting Marblehead for a long weekend October 3 through October 7th. We had reserved accommodations at another property for the rest of our stay and booked for Friday night only. Because we had not received any confirmation from the Inn after the initial phone reservation, my husband called the day before we left to make sure all was set.

The manager of the property told him that we were being moved to another suite without giving an precise explanation. Since we were flying in the next day, we figured we would assess the situation then since it was too late to find another room. When we arrived, the manager, Diane, told us our initial booking was occupied and offered us a very small suite directly opposite the entrance and adjacent to the common area. It was a hallway with a bedroom attached.

Since we would be there only one night, we said we would settle for it as we were told the first room was taken and there were no other rooms available, except one that had some problems with the TV and toilet. We did ask to see a larger room just to see the difference in amenities. It was a much larger room and when Diane offered us a adjustment in our rate, we figured it would be significant.

The next day we checked out after the night in cramped quarters and being disturbed by all the noise in the common area. The kitchen, dining area and the office was only a thin wall away. The next morning at check out, we told another employee our story of being bumped ( a first time experience) and we asked what was the charge. Diane had told us she was working on the reduction, but never gave us the figure. She left while we were out to dinner the night before.

To our surprise, we were charged $174.00 for the small room. Even more surprising when we explained what had happened and what Diane told us, the second woman said our original booking had been available the previous night. That was the big shocker as we had not questioned the story we were told and were trying to be understanding if the Inn was able to book the room for a longer stay. We were originally told the room was only open the one night and that is why we did not have to stay a two night minimum.

I told the desk person we had expected a bigger adjustment and she responded it was a holiday weekend. When I asked what holiday she replied Haunted Happenings although that is not listed on the website as a holiday for the Inn's rates. We paid the standard rate for the smaller room.

When we contacted Diane by phone after we got home and requested the owner's name, she told us he was an absentee owner and did not want to be disturbed. She stated the Inn staff has the option to move people at its discretion and room numbers will no longer be assigned at booking.

We have traveled extensively and are usually pretty easy going, but we do like nice quarters to come back to at night. The rest of our stay was fantastic and the next owner available and welcoming. We cannot understand why we were given the story we were, other than Diane hoped she could get more for the room and up the rate.

Since the change was made before we arrived, we can't take it too personally, but with the empty parking lot we saw and the vacancy sign on the Marblehead Inn we passed the rest of our stay, we are wondering why we were downsized. One of the shop people in town to whom we told our story said to us "you could have done better" and gave us the name of another Inn. We did thoroughly enjoy every other part of our trip in beautiful Marblehead, Massachusetts.

Stayed: October 2008
5  Thank VirginiaRover
Latremouille, Manager at Marblehead Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2009

Very Sweet to Suite:

I am very surprised by this very negative review ..especially for a one night stay......When he booked at the Marblehead Inn we did give him a one night reservation instead of the required 3 night minimum due to the our busiest time of the year: Haunted Happenings in Salem, MA our neighboring town.
We needed to juggle our reservations due to a full house coming in. I gave him a smaller full suite not the hallway he describes. The suite has a living room, kitchen, bedroom with a queen bed, bathroom with jacuzzi jets and a lovely patio... Generally guests love this suite!

I hope this guest is reading this rebuttle and will give us an opportunity to make up for any disapointment they may have expeirenced.

Reviewed March 27, 2008

What a great place. Our entire wedding party stayed at the inn . Everything was perfect, they even made up a special room for my elderly grand parents. We were pleased beyond expectation. Thanks for a memorable time. The Loudens.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank loudens
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marblehead
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
#1 of 19 in Marblehead
Coach House Inn
Coach House Inn
#7 of 9 in Salem

Been to Marblehead Inn? Share your experiences!