“Precious and Quaint” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of A Lady Winette Cottage Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Marblehead
A Lady Winette Cottage Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 20 Marblehead B&B and Inns
Santa Fe
“Precious and Quaint”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

This small establishment on the upper side of Marblehead Neck is in an elegant and affluent residential neighborhood of beautiful and large homes, mostly from the early 20th century. Located close to the Corinthian Yacht Club, this two-room B&B is preciously furnished. The hostess is extraordinarily friendly and will try to accommodate visitors needs. The two rooms on the second floor are reached by a steep and very narrow stairway. The shared bath is situated between both rooms on the second floor. "Old Marblehead" is about 3 miles away by road; 0.5 miles by launch across the harbor. Visitors without a car might be able to arrange for an infrequent launch trip to "old Marblehead" from the Corinthian Yacht Club to the Boston Yacht Club across the harbor. There is no taxi service in Marblehead, but service from adjacent Salem is convenient at $12.00 to $15.00.

Room Tip: Visitors without a car can get to Marblehead by train from Boston's North Station, getting off a...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank djsilversmith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Wakefield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2012

I love cottages and shabby chic design so when I saw a lady Winette Cottage I was sold. It doesn't appeal to men as much, but who cares; it's all about us girls. The cottage is so charming and the Harbor Room has a fabulous view of the historic harbor from the little deck just beyond the french doors. It's a great place to sit and drink your morning coffee. The mattress is brand new and very comfortable and there are big fluffy pillows. Even though the room is small, it has everything you need.Suzi is an excellent hostess and is very attentive and considerate.
We were fortunate because we were the only couple there, but if the other room is rented (there are just two, both adorable) be prepared to share the bathroom.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brenda B
Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2011

i stayed at this unique and cozy b & b for four nights during a high school reunion in Sept 11. The owner is gracious and opens her unique cottage to visitors. The breakfast of fresh fruit and pastries, great coffee is set in the dining room complete with antiques and historical articles that enhance your appreciation of Marblehead's history. Two rooms are up a steep narrow staircase, so if you need ADA accessibility chose a hotel that advertises as such. From one room is a fabulous view of famous Marblehead Harbor, french doors that open wide for the sea breeze. The other room is comfy with a king bed and room to set out a suitcase or use hangers or a coat rack .The AC unit enables you to cool off, and there's a view of neighbor's garden. The bathroom has a sink, toilet and stand up shower in the tall tub, so it would be challenging for a person with certain physical limitations, but everything worked well. You share the bath with guests of the other bedroom upstairs. Walk to the Lighthouse or Castle Rock and around Marblehead Neck from this venue. Ms. Winette is friendly, informative and wonderful and I think this B and B would be especially fun for women friends or a couple that doesn't demand a huge flat screen TV and amenities of a big hotel. Enjoy this lovely and beloved cottage!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank jbalaska
Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2011

My mom and I went to Boston for my birthday and we chose to stay at the Lady Winette because it looked really cute and very girly. I'm very glad we decided to go there. Suzi is a great hostess. She takes real interest in her guests and does her very best to make them comfortable. She takes time to make sure we are comfortable. The cottage itself is very cute. We loved the decorations and the colors and all of that. What I really liked though, was that Suzi had hung up several of her paitings that she had done. She is a great painter and I love the ones she did of the sea and the harbor. I loved my time there and definitely recommend this for others.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Crystal M
Kennebunk, Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

My Girlfriend and I needed accommodations last minute, in lieu of a family reunion we were attending in town. It was hard to find lodging, but we stumbled upon this place and quickly made our reservation. We checked in earlier in the day, but the host was not there. The outside of the cottage was charming and cute, with a lush garden and wonderful views of the harbor. It was when we walked inside that things took an odd turn. We walked into a living room littered with trinkets and tacky mantle ornaments. The living room was a breath of fresh air compared to the kitchen, which was a complete and total mess. It seemed as if every single room I walked into was packed with clutter (stacks of mail, dirty plates etc.) After walking into such chaos it was hard to keep an open mind about what our room would look like. After walking up the uncomfortably narrow stair-case, we were pleasantly surprised by our room. We stayed in the ''garden room'' and it was quaint! We had a big, king-sized bed that was well made and more comfortable than ANYTHING I have ever slept in. The furniture in the room was neutral (aka not pink) and nautical. Nothing in our room was overly decorated (unlike the rest of the house). The bathroom was a decorators worst nightmare. The walls were covered (floor to ceiling) with fabric. I have never seen anything like it. Also, the floor was TRIPLE carpeted ( pink on pink). It was god-awful. Pertaining to the actual stay, we slept very well. As previously stated, the bed was really comfortable and we had a/c in the room. In lieu of the fact that the other guest room wasn't occupied that night, the host slept right across the hall from us, which I found a little invasive. She repeatedly told us (prior to check-in) that we had to be ''quiet'' when coming in for the night, which made us feel like we were young kids staying at our grandmothers house... The level of privacy was limited, but it was only an over-night. Right before we checked-out, we were finally able to get to know the host a little bit. She was a sweet and welcoming woman, full of positivity. The only issue I had with her was that she asked us to write her a good review in lieu of a negative one a guest had written a week prior to our stay. I felt that was rather unprofessional. All-in-all our stay was O.K. It was cozy, but a little ''too'' cozy for our liking. I have very neutral feelings about A Lady Winette Cottage. It's one of those places that you'll just have to see for yourself!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sweeney207
, Owner at A Lady Winette Cottage Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, September 25, 2011
It was thoughtfull of the reviewer to put so much time into his comments. It is nice to know my beds are as comfortabe as I hope they woud be and that my kindness for taking this couple in when they could find no where else for the night was appreciated as I was actually closed for clean up after a party. I do try always to be warm and welcoming and appreciate this compliment. My old fashioned stairs are steep and it seems true that beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. I hope that my future guests who love a Victorian decor, yards of dreamy silk, and quiet haven will enjoy these features at a Lady Winette Cottage .
DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

Stayed at the cottage for two nights. Suzi is a lovely, gracious host, with lots of interesting stories to tell about the area and life in general. One word of caution: the place is covered in fabric (especially in the bathroom!), so if you are allergic to house dust beware.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DcAnon
Hawley, ma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2011

We arrived at A Lady Winette Cottage in late afternoon and found Suzi, its owner pruning flowers in her front yard. Her cheery greeting was the perfect entree to her life in her 100+ year old cottage. As I stepped through the door, I felt transported to another place in time. Some people call her decorating style "shabby chic", but I prefer "Victorian" in a light charming kind of way.

Pink is Suzi's favorite color and she's worked it into the decor with greens, blues and white.Every nook and cranny is filled with little details that need closer examination.Some might feel it over-the-top, but that's simply a matter of one's personal preference. Off our bedroom, we found a delightfully furnished little deck. Flowers everywhere, and a jaw-dropping view of Marblehead Harbor. (It moors some 1500 boats.)

Suzi's an artist and this reflects itself in her painting talent, her decorating style and even her fun personality with its creative bent.. She's the consummate hostess. We loved chatting with her over breakfasts on her comfortable front porch.She was a fount of information on the area as well as on great places to eat.

I take issue with the couple who didn't enjoy themselves (July 11th review) A 100-year-old cottage, no matter how well appointed, can't be a 5-star hotel. If a person wants to slip into and enjoy another person's home and lifestyle, he/she accepts whatever idiosyncrasies there are and enjoys the ambiance and all of its good points. If he/she seeks a pristine and impersonal facility with all the latest conveniences, he/she is better off with the 5-star facility.

Room Tip: You definitely want the room with a harbor view.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kirbythwng
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marblehead
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
#10 of 20 in Marblehead
The Merchant
The Merchant
#2 of 9 in Salem

Been to A Lady Winette Cottage Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!