“Good view of harbor”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Marblehead
A Lady Winette Cottage Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 19 Marblehead B&B and Inns
DC
“Good view of harbor”
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Stayed at the cottage for two nights. Suzi is a lovely, gracious host, with lots of interesting stories to tell about the area and life in general. One word of caution: the place is covered in fabric (especially in the bathroom!), so if you are allergic to house dust beware.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank DcAnon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Hawley, ma
Reviewed July 21, 2011

We arrived at A Lady Winette Cottage in late afternoon and found Suzi, its owner pruning flowers in her front yard. Her cheery greeting was the perfect entree to her life in her 100+ year old cottage. As I stepped through the door, I felt transported to another place in time. Some people call her decorating style "shabby chic", but I prefer "Victorian" in a light charming kind of way.

Pink is Suzi's favorite color and she's worked it into the decor with greens, blues and white.Every nook and cranny is filled with little details that need closer examination.Some might feel it over-the-top, but that's simply a matter of one's personal preference. Off our bedroom, we found a delightfully furnished little deck. Flowers everywhere, and a jaw-dropping view of Marblehead Harbor. (It moors some 1500 boats.)

Suzi's an artist and this reflects itself in her painting talent, her decorating style and even her fun personality with its creative bent.. She's the consummate hostess. We loved chatting with her over breakfasts on her comfortable front porch.She was a fount of information on the area as well as on great places to eat.

I take issue with the couple who didn't enjoy themselves (July 11th review) A 100-year-old cottage, no matter how well appointed, can't be a 5-star hotel. If a person wants to slip into and enjoy another person's home and lifestyle, he/she accepts whatever idiosyncrasies there are and enjoys the ambiance and all of its good points. If he/she seeks a pristine and impersonal facility with all the latest conveniences, he/she is better off with the 5-star facility.

Room Tip: You definitely want the room with a harbor view.
1 Thank kirbythwng
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 19, 2011

What a lovely place!! I had no idea what I was in store for because a
friend, local to Marblehead, found A Lady Winette Cottage for me. He
told me I was in for a treat and he was right.

When my fiance and I arrived, it was after nightfall so we didn't have
a chance to truly take in the amazing view from our bedroom until the
next morning. When we awoke, the morning light streamed softly through
the window and from bed I gazed upon the most beautiful harbor filled
with hundreds of sailboats.

The gracious hostess, Suzi, prepared fresh fruit and muffins for our
breakfast which we ate, along with our fill of juice and coffee, from
her front porch downstairs (surrounded by beautiful plants and
flowers). Suzi didn't interfere with our relaxing breakfast but when
we engaged her in conversation, she turned out to be the most
delightful b&b owner I've ever encountered and later showed me her
backyard garden as well.

Part of our stay was spent out and about in Marblehead — which was
filled with fun little shops and restaurants, as well as a few
colorful watering holes and yacht clubs. The rest was taken as an
opportunity for quality rest and relaxation. The patio off the front
bedroom was large, partially shaded and an amazing spot to hang out
with my sweetheart, read a bit or catch a nap. When we were ready for
a change, we caught the end of the U.S. Open on the large TV in our
bedroom.

All in all it was an amazing weekend getaway and I hope we're able to
return soon.

Room Tip: I stayed in the front bedroom with a view of the bay - highly recommended!
1 Thank JenniferPhillips
Franklin, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 13, 2011

We were the the next guests after the couple on July 12th that didn't enjoy themselves or the Inn. We thought the deck and the view were glorious and spent the afternoon enjoying the view and chatting with our cousins. The whole place is (as said) pink, cluttered and the ultimate in shabby chick . The gardens are lovingly tended by the Inn keeper and are a day lilly lovers dream. Contrary to the last review, we had a tasty breakfast of fresh fruit, delicious blueberry muffins and fresh coffee. Suzi called to tell us our room was ready early and that we could check in whenever we wanted (we checked-in early). Yes, she asked us to not talk outside past 10 PM, but you can talk in your room. Yes, the mirror is low on the sink. There is a window shade in the bathroom that is hard to find, but if you do it covers the window. Yes, the shower curtain is a little difficult to manipulate. Yes, she asked us to bring the pillows in from the deck. Suzi also had surgery on her wrist and has pins protruding from it, so we didn't mind at all! If you are a very serious person, that is kind of rigid I wouldn't recommend Lady Winette, but if you don't take things too seriously and want to meet an interesting, fun lady with a cozy Inn where you can laugh and relax this is the place for you.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank clevy82
Toledo
Reviewed July 11, 2011

I'm afraid that my wife and I will have to take a contrary point of view compared to many of the other reviews. We read many of the other reviews and thought this would be a wonderful place to spend the last leg of our northeast tour. We could not have been more wrong.Never have we been more stressed out when staying on a trip. My wife and I pretty much exclusively stay in B&B's and this one fails to measure up in every category.

Problems:
The Bathroom. Small, cramped, no screen on the window. The tub is a clawfoot and has a pink shower curtain that hit both my shoulders while standing, and I have a 30" waist. The used bars of soap on the tub rack and sink was disgusting. If you want to shave your face you need to pick up the mirror to do it, as it's just propped up behind the faucet. Decor is exceedingly questionable. If you like every wall covered in pink fabric up to and including the ceiling then you're in great shape.

The View. Deck is indeed ok, but the view isn't that great. Lots of obstructions such as telephone lines and other buildings. Was firmly told I could not talk on the deck after 10pm. This wasn't a problem due to the mosquitos. Also, the innkeeper removed all the cushions and stuck them in the corner in our room and made it clear that they were not to be left outside at all costs.

The Staircase. Very narrow and tall, it is a challenge for anyone who is not fit and thin. I made it just fine, but if you're approaching 200 lbs you might have trouble just getting to your room while carrying your luggage.

The Power. Not sure if an isolated occurrence, but the power went out 4 times during our stay. I could write a whole book about this occurrence and what transpired but it's not fully appropriate here.

The Rules: While friendly, she was quite inflexible and made it abundantly clear that this was her house and her rules. We were not allowed to leave the cushions out on the deck at night, we could not check in even 1 hour early, breakfast had to be at 8:30 am, no talking at night, etc.

The Food: Breakfast was store bought fruit (pineapple had brown spots), store bought muffins that weren't super fresh, and Twinings english breakfast tea. Nothing special, and a real downer compared to the absolutely lavish breakfasts that we enjoyed while in New York and Maine. I also managed to break her fork while spearing a piece of fruit- they're more appropriate for a 5 year old's princess party than a classy B&B.

The House: If you love lots of clutter, the color pink (just about everything in the house is this color), and want the feeling of staying in your eccentric aunt's house with her wanting to talk to you all the time, then this is the place for you.

For those who claim that this is the best B&B they have ever been in, we will respectfully disagree and hope that they get out more. There are so many better B&B experiences to enjoy that make you feel relaxed and special. The $150 asking price is completely out of line with the amenities. We have stayed at B&B's in other cities with comparable prices and it's no contest.

7 Thank jonesy329
, Owner at A Lady Winette Cottage Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, July 14, 2011
I am so sorry this couple did not enjoy my B&B. They were a lovely couple and so kind to me. With nuts and bolts holding a broken wrist together I was ever so appreciative for all their help. The power outage was indeed a surprise for me also and power was resumed quickly. I am so sorry they did not enjoy their stay in my cottage by the sea.
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed June 21, 2011

When it comes to A Lady Winette Cottage, I have never had a better time at a B & B. Suzi is fantastic; she is one of the most fun loving ladies I have ever met. She is very interesting and has so many stories to tell. You could actually stay at her B & B and never want to leave, she was so interesting. She was meant to have a B & B, and makes you very welcome. It seemed to me she was actually in it much more than for the money, she really likes people.

Our room was great, we had the room with the view of the harbor, it was nice to sit on the patio Saturday afternoon looking out at the harbor and reading a book. The breeze on the patio was so refreshing. The B & B felt like my own house, it was real and lived in, and very comfortable. Breakfast was tailored to our tastes, just like it would be at home. I can’t wait to go back, oh yeah, her favorite color is pink, and my wife loved everything. I know next time I will have to leave my manhood at home, pink is not my favorite color, but Suzi makes up for all the pink everywhere.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank hdclassic47
Pasadena, California
Reviewed May 26, 2011

Ever dream what it would be like to sleep in a doll house by the sea? My wife and I stayed three days at Lady Winette Cottage and this is exactly how it felt, like living in a pink doll house with Suzi, our cottage hostess and owner, entertaining us each morning over breakfast with her fun stories and laughter. If large, spacious rooms with private baths and room service is what you’re looking for, this pixy bungalow is not for you. But if quaint, historical and charming fits your bill, with internet service and TV, then you should check out A Lady Winette Cottage.

Room Tip: Call ahread, ask for the room facing the harbor
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank avram3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marblehead
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
#2 of 19 in Marblehead
The Merchant
The Merchant
#2 of 9 in Salem

Been to A Lady Winette Cottage Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!