Econo Lodge
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Malden
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I wish I could give this place a negative star rating. Just entering this place is horrible. It's a huge step up to open the door -- not an actual step but the doorway is raised at least a foot.

As soon as I entered the room I was unhappy since I could not immediately find the light switch. It was behind the door instead of right inside the doorway. Not having the light in a convenient location made me feel unsafe.

The bathtub had some sort of dark pink covering over it in areas that was peeling off. I'm not sure if it was supposed to look like that or not but it made me think I shouldn't use it. The bathroom light was not inside the bathroom nor was it right outside the bathroom. Instead it was around the corner. There also wasn't an option not to have the fan running.

The worst part was the room was it had the most horrible order ever that I think was coming from the carpet. The carpet was absolutely filthy and I kept my shoes on while walking on it.

I was exhausted after traveling for 10+ hours and this was only going to be a quick stop before catching another flight in the morning. Otherwise I would have left as soon as I saw the room.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
econolodgemaldenma, Webmaster at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Econo Lodge for your recent stay in our area. I am sorry it didn’t turn out to be the enjoyable stay you.

• Management was informed about your suggestion and check the possibility if we can implement the suggestions.

• Housekeeping received additional training concerning the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

I am pleased to tell you that we do take our guest reviews seriously. I hope that you will reconsider and that the next time you are in our area, you will once again choose to stay at Econo Lodge. I think you will be very pleased.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

We had placed reservations for two rooms through AARP. When I drove in, I had a strange feeling about the place. I opened the car door to hear very loud music nearby. We were with our daughters. One room was placed in the front of the hotel and the other was placed in the seedy back of the hotel, with the loud music playing over the fence. The clerk would not budge about changing rooms and I lost my cool about the loud music. The music stopped after 10:00 PM. It was too late to go elsewhere, so my wife and I took the back room and gave our daughters the front room. Needless to say, both rooms were a disgrace. Burn holes in mattresses, stains, on mattress and carpet and that heavy negative smell. We slept on top of the covers, in our clothing and kept in touch with our kids as needed. The hotel could not provide our daughter's room with sufficient towels and pillows. One look at the overall hygiene of the place and the poor quality, very limited breakfast and we decided to skip the breakfast and go to a nearby restaurant. We checked out as quickly as possible, never to return again. AARP and Econo Lodge have been contacted. Where is corporate quality control? What about the local health department? I hope the rest of Malden functions better than this!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
econolodgemaldenma, Webmaster at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Econo Lodge, Malden for your recent stay in our area.

We appreciate your review and regret the inconvenience.

We take our reviews very seriously.

Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

• The front office staff has been given special training to ensure the best hospitality to our guests.

• The maintenance staff have checked all rooms and confirmed that they are up-to-date in all respects.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose us for your stay and you can feel the change.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

The only thing going for this place is its price, we barely had an internet connection, I asked the clerk for a box of tissues and he woke us up at 11pm banging on the door with them 4 hours later, smoking room without an ashtray, door jam pieced together with no security, bunch of migrant workers hanging outside of there rooms drinking, vending machines that didn't work, it says fresh brewed coffee but forgot to mention it was brewed last year, im sure there is a few more things but im trying to forget about this place, DO YOURSELF A FAVOR FIND ANOTHER PLACE

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying at the Econo Lodge, Malden during your last to our area.

We appreciate your review and the observations. We will surely take them for improvement.

We have addressed your observations for further improvement and you shall definitely find the difference during your next visit.

The hotel staff has been well trained and each room is being thoroughly checked for cleanliness and proper amenities before checking in a new guest.

Hope you will take a note of our actions and visit us again.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Rooms are poor. Lock didn't work properly. Ac broken. Wouldn't swap rooms as hotel was full. Entire place smells bad. Booked non smoking room and it smelled of smoke.
Location is scruffy but close to Boston.
Price is expensive for the quality of rooms.
Check in staff were friendly but entire hotel needs refurbishment.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Skydivescott

Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying with us during your recent visit to our area.

We appreciate your review and the observations.

We regret for your experience however unlikely it may be but shall surely take them for improvement.

We have checked into each of the aspects which you have mentioned in your lengthy review and have taken action seriously on each of them for further improvement and you shall definitely find the difference during your next visit.

We are glad that you found the check in staff friendly.

We promise a really nice stay with us.Pl do visit us again and please check for yourselves.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

The first thing that greeted us was an old or new sick stain on the tarmac at the main front door then the smell and then the security screen at the front desk,we got a downstairs room that you entered by a corridor so there was no outside window in the room,i encountered 3 types of bugs in the room which also stunk,all the best ! breakfast food was gone by 8am ,so on the whole i would have rather slept in the car overnight,AVOID.

Room Tip: dont stay there is my tip
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank hogweed1963

Dear Guest,

Thanks for choosing the Econo Lodge during your recent visit to our area.

We appreciate the review and we take it quite seriously for improvement.

At the outset, our apologies for the bad experience you had howsoever.

We have investigated your observations with the hotel staff and have taken all necessary steps to offer the best. Special attention is given for cleanliness and hygiene.

We also have given special training and instructions to the hotel staff to offer the best hospitality to our guests.

We assure you and request you to consider staying with us in future and have a new satisfactory experience.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Hotel is easy to find; we were surprised by the knowledge of the receptionist; he did her best to find the better deal for us for our next stay. Rooms are spacious and very clean; with great amenities with just renovated furniture, bathroom and carpet. The best thing is we could take easy routes via. Public services right outside the property. We had a non smoking room and it was really pleasant and amazing stay there was not a bit of smoke smell in the room. The breakfast is considered above average for this type of hotel. We were really impressed with this hotel. I would stay at this hotel with my family anytime I'm in Boston or surrounding areas.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Andy H
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This is the kind of hotel where you go because you need a place to stay, and all you want is a roof over your head, clean sheets and hot water. The hotel delivers these, and nothing more.
The rooms are billed "non-smoking", but by now the smoke is embedded into the carpets, and the place seriously needs a renovation.
The front desk got our neighbor to lower the volume on their TV, for which we are grateful.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank hd27dfh23789h7892
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malden
Quality Inn Revere
Howard Johnson Quincy
Rodeway Inn
Rodeway Inn
#6 of 9 in Danvers

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!