“I EXPECTED MORE!”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Malden
Reviewed November 4, 2011

i was highly disappointed in the room that we stayed in, the bathroom door was broken, the dresser was broken, the refridgerator smelled, and the worst part of it all, the second night we stayed there my fiance and i both got bitten by something, we both had bites on our arms and legs and face. i will never stay here again. i was so glad when we checked out, but very disappointed. i felt as though the money we paid , we could have gotten a better suitable comfortable room. i believe that my fiance also wrote a review and contacted corperate.
the room smelled heavily of cigarettes. i wish we could have had another room.

Room Tip: i do not recommend rooms from the outside, on the other side of hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
econolodgemaldenma, Webmaster at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying at the Econo Lodge and the review.

We are investigating the issue you have mentioned, but our apologies for the same however unlikely it may be.

We believe that’s only way to improve.

We are paying serious issues to the amenities and also pest control through a special agency. The cigarette smell issue is also looked into.

Please consider staying with us again.

Reviewed October 29, 2011

During our whole weekend stay, it smelled and reaked of cigarettes. We opened the windows to let the air circulate, but literally it smells as though you have five people smoking in the room all the time.
The guy who checked us in let us check in early because we were super early, so that was nice. So far I have not gotten any fresh towels, and I guess the continental breakfast will have to do. Overall I felt like I settled for less, I felt like I paid for much better room than this. But what can we do now

• Stayed: October 2011

Dear Guest,

Thanks for choosing the Econo Lodge for your stay.

We are sorry for the inconvenience experience by you in spite of being a most understandable guest.

We are taking up the issue of the cigarette smoke in the rooms.

We shall definitely look into the things and improve wherever necessary and of course the breakfast.

Please be assured of a fine stay next time.

Reviewed October 18, 2011

This hotel is not in a bad area but the rooms are very run down. Staff was ok and I guess if I were stuck I would stay there again but their would have to me no other option.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for choosing the Econo Lodge and the review.

We are in the process of improving all our rooms.

Glad that you found the staff hospitality OK.

We will offer you the best hospitality and better stay next time.

So please do visit us again.

Reviewed October 10, 2011

I would highly recommend that everyone stay as FAR away from this place as possible. I had a night booked to stay here, and when I arrived they told me that there was no rooms left. The management was no help and provided us with no other viable options. I spent the whole night on a cold concrete airport floor, and when I tried to let Choice Hotel's and EconoLodge know about this situation they paid no attention to me and gave no answers. I will make sure that everyone I know in person and on the internet stays away from EconoLodge!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Jason D

Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for choosing the ABVI and the review.

We are investigating the issue and shall definitely take appropriate steps towards redressing the same.

We never have received such a complaint before.

We will offer you the best hospitality. So please do visit us again.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

My husband and son were stuck in Boston due to hurricane Irene, so I was looking for something inexpensive relatively near Logan airport. Econo Lodge fit the bill, but but by all accounts it was not a great place. As others stated, "It served it's purpose," but the supposedly non-smoking rooms smelled of stale smoke (not good for my kid's asthma) and my husband suspected they might rent out rooms by the hour (but that could have been hyperbole). They certainly survived the adventure, but were glad it was only a one-night stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank KCinMN

Dear Guest,

Thanks for choosing the Econo Lodge during your recent visit.

We value your time to comment on your recent stay and your observations.

It is our aim to offer our guests a entirely satisfactory service at the Econo Lodge.

All the observations in the review have been addressed effectively.

We hope you will give us another chance to convince you with a better service and hospitality.

Reviewed September 2, 2011

In a way I feel bad rating this motel so low, as it served it's purpose. It was a cheap place to stay, and despite what other reviews have said I do think it was clean. The bathroom also seemed to have been recently updated, so that was a plus. The room itself, however, was a run down. The furniture was chipped and there were tears in the wallpaper. I could see the brush strokes on the newly painted bathroom door and where some places had one coat and some had two. It was dark. We had an interior room, so our window looked out into the hallway, not outside. My husband and I could almost feel the gloom settle on us. (The kids, however, were completely oblivious and thought it was great!).

My other problem was noise. First, the AC cycled on and off during the night, starting up with a roar and and then quickly shutting down only to do it again. The walls seem to be very thin and all night I could hear doors banging shut. I could also hear the people in the room next door talking. They were not yelling, just talking at a normal level. Then, the rain started. Normally I love the sound of rain on a roof at night and find it soothing. The problem here is that the sound seemed to be concentrated through a vent in the ceiling, so it was more like drumming than gentle patter.

There seems to be no elevator, which is a problem with a lot of luggage. We had to wheel our bags to the back and then up the steps. If there was an elevator it was not evident and the desk clerk told us to use the steps.

Final note is that the desk clerk is behind a plastic shield. That tells you something.

Room Tip: As for a room facing the outside and an first floor room if you have luggage.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Beccajammom
Reviewed August 18, 2011

First of all, another reviewer stated "*$30 to $40 + tip for taxi trip one way from downtown to hotel." Simply untrue. If you did take a taxi for $10 as you say, it's $2 per person to ride the subway. So for a round trip that would be $24 for two before tip.

We found the room clean and comfortable. It is not the Four Seasons, to be sure, but for $79 a night it beats $300 or more a night to stay in the city. There were no seedy characters, screaming, drugs or prostitutes that we saw. Our car stayed in the lot each of the three nights we were there and was fine. Only complaint is the wifi was weak and very sporadic.

If you want someplace very basic without special amenties, and don't mind the commute to Boston (the subway really is quite convenient), it's fine.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malden
Quality Inn Revere
Quality Inn Revere
#3 of 5 in Revere
Red Roof PLUS+ Boston - Logan
Rodeway Inn Logan International Airport
Howard Johnson Quincy
enVision Hotel Boston-Everett
Hyatt Place Boston/Medford

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!