“Better luck inside?”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stopped here after a long day touring Boston. Sat outside - great view of the parking lot and a smaller view of the pretty harbor. The service was extremely slow, with salad an soup arriving well before drinks. In fact, we had to remind the waiter to bring our beverages. Clam chowder was more like potato soup...too few clams! Calamari and onion rings were good. Broiled haddock was excellent, but side dishes were gross (mushy green beans and blah delmonico potatoes). Service was horrible, but to the waiter's credit - he had tables inside too. Two other outside tables also waited a long time for their food. I have a friend who eats here a lot...maybe the trick is sitting inside?

There are newer reviews for Porthole Pub

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Took my 79 y.o dad and his wife to this restaurant for lunch. My folks are not restaurant goers, felt anxious about the experience. We all ended up enjoying ourselves very much. 3 of us had a very interesting salmon with an apricot preserve and asparagus.. It was unusual, great presentation, Hubby had pastrami sandwich and liked it too. Dad also had oysters for an appetizer and gave it his approval.
We even had the elderly couple try their first sangria - they liked it so much, asked for seconds.
Service was attentive, personable, unhurried. The server realized that we were there to socialize, and allowed us to take as much time as we wanted.
I would have preferred slightly better lighting, it was too dark, but pub is a pub.
Overall, a very good experience.
I think that negative reviews were mostly from folks who order steaks in a seafood restaurant, always a mistake.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We went for Sunday dinner. My wife had chopped sirloin. It was chopped . It wasn't sirloin.
A very sad piece of meat. I had swordfish steak. I don't know why I didn't send it back.
It had a fishy taste that I don't associate with fresh fish.

1  Thank Morgan406
Reviewed February 23, 2013

seafood is good. but the chowa is great! thick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! creamy, occationally you'll find a potato that a bit undercooked but this is the place for new England clam chowder

Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

I was there for dinner recently with my kids, and sister. I couldn't have been happier with the entire experience. The entire staff was warm and welcoming making my kids feel very special. It was really clean with a lot of character.
I ordered the New York Rockafeller from their list of nightly specials. It was a very large, and tasty Sirloin steak over a bed of spinach with blue cheese on top and roasted potatos on the side. It was cooked perfectly. It was as good or better than what I would expect from a gourmet steak house. All for about $20.
My kids got ”fish sticks” which were actually a couple of very large pieces of haddock served with a side of broccoli- Delicious! ($3.98) There was more than enough to bring home for lunch the next day.
My sister ordered a seafood supreme. It was a generous portions of shrimp, scallops, and lobster in a creamy casserole ($15.00) She talked about it for days. Desert was a homemade bread pudding which was one of the best I've had.
The manager was a friendly young man who made us feel very welcome (as if being hosted by a good friend at his home).
We will be returning often.
Delicious food, great value, warm & welcoming.

1  Thank Ocgacg

Been to Porthole Pub? Share your experiences!