“Yaya is here from Athens, Greece, and she is cooking!”
Review of Dea's Diner

Dea's Diner
Ranked #26 of 183 Restaurants in Lynn
Reviewed June 16, 2013

On a trip to Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, I mapped out a route away from roads to Revere Beach, since the beach roads would be slow and crowded. That was a straight shot through Lynn on 107, also called Western Avenue. I saw a sign for Dea's Diner, and a parking lot. I though that the diner would be at the back of the parking lot. I love classic diners, especially the ones you find in NJ and FL, and occasionally in New England. This place was not a diner, it was a small, independent restaurant, impecably clean, with counter service. When I heard Greek, I knew I was in a good place. Dea, an only child whose parents named the place after her, introduced herself and acted as translator. Her mom came in toward the end of our stay, and we met her too. Instant family!

One of us had a Greek omelet, essentially a veggie with feta, served with choice of toast. I asked about Greek food. Dea told me that there are daily specials since many oF the folks from the GE plant nearby eat lunch from Dea's menu. I asked if there were any leftovers, and there were! I had two handsome, delicious pieces of spinach pie (spanikopita) which filled a large plate. The dish was obviously home made-crispy not greasy-filo dough with just the right ratio of spinach to feta. I could only eat one piece, Dea packed up the other for my lunch today. She made a Greek salad to go with it. This iceberg lettuce based salad was served with homemade Greek dressing. Yaya also brought me two pieces of a bread that she made that were delicious. Dea said that if her father were there he would have brought us cake, he loves to bake.

This stop was most serendipitous, hunger set in before we got to Salem, we needed a bathroom break, and finding Greek hospitality was the bonus. I always feel good supporting small local restaurants, the cost is reasonable, the food is usually much better that national chains, and the people are genuinely happy that you want to eat their food.

If you find yourself on Western Avenue in Lynn, MA go in and introduce yourself to Dea. Before you select from the regular menu, ask about specials or leftovers, if you love Greek food, or had a grandmother of any nationality who cooked with love, you will enjoy Dea's Diner!

There are newer reviews for Dea's Diner

Been to Dea's Diner? Share your experiences!