“So yummy!”
Review of The Blue Ox

The Blue Ox
Reserve with OpenTable
The Blue Ox is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 183 Restaurants in Lynn
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Market Street
Transit: We are a short walk from the Lynn station of the MBTA Commuter Rail.
“So yummy!”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I tasted their chicken. Best ever! It was just very crowded, but it doesnt matter, the food was so good.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Lynn's Best Restaurant”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I recently OpenTable'd a reservation for six of us to grab some dinner on a snowy Saturday night after doing some research. This place definitely and very easily stood out from others in the area - Apparently good restaurants are hard to come by in Lynn. This place had good ratings and i was looking forward to my meal there.

After fourty minute drive from Boston, we arrived and easily found street parking. Fast forward a minute and we walked right into a very busy, loud and popular restaurant. People were sitting at the bar drinking beers and cocktails while others were happily feasting away. We sat near the front of the restaurant, by a window and our waiter arrived and processed our drink orders and then introduced us to their daily specials and helped field any questions and concerns.

We decided to start with one of their specials which was risotto fritters stuffed with ragu. It came with three per order and were ping pong-sized balls of deliciousness. Rich, meaty, cheesy and a great contrast of both chewiness and crispness. My fiancee and I were in heaven. It was priced at around $9 I think although I could be off. Most of their apps range from $6 to $16 and most are designed to be easy to share which I can definitely appreciate. Others at our table got lobster tacos ($13) which they devoured and another couple of friends share the calamari ($11) which they enjoyed as well.

Next came our entrees - in my case, I went with their grilled, marinated Hanger steak ($22) which came with grilled asparagus and a port wine sauce. Normally it comes with friends but I got mine with mixed greens instead and they turned the whole thing to a delicious steak salad. They even sliced my steak in the kitchen which I actually thought was neat. It was absolutely delicious and the flavors from the marinate came through. The greens were also very good and well seasoned, and the meat was cooked to a perfect medium rare like I had asked. I did get to try a couple of fries from a friend's plate, and they were really good. Everyone else thoroughly enjoyed their dinner and soon enough we all joined the clean plate club. Not a single bite was left... anywhere. No room for dessert.

As far as drinks I opted for beers but a lot of their cocktails seemed good and quite popular. Best of all, it's a bit seasonal and that reflects in the ingredients being featured in each of the drinks. They all have a flat rate of $11 which I'm not hugely fond of as liquors don't all cost the same and some are definitely more expensive than they should be. That being said, they have a bit of everything and its quite diverse which is good.

The atmosphere was pretty simple there but it worked. The service was very friendly and they make a clear effort to try to make their food and cocktail menus seasonal which everyone can and should appreciate. It's not overly expensive either which is nice however reservations are pretty much a must, especially on weekends. This could very well be the best restaurant in Lynn.

Oh a side note, I was pretty bummed when I tried to order some Pappy Van Winkle for dessert, a rare bourbon which was listed on their drinks menu but they were out of. Kind of killed my excitement, especially since the waiter seemed convinced that they had it in stock when I inquired about it. Oh well... I still left pretty happy (and full).

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank JeremyKrantz
Bucks
“an enjoyable evening”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Taken here whilst on holiday from UK. It has a good reputation and this is deserved based on our visit .
Service as usual in USA is bright and cheery,helpful guidance etc.
Food is good honest fare ,well presented and tasty.
a good local restaurant and if i lived nearby i would use on a regular basis.

• Visited February 2013
Salem, MA
“A little piece of heaven in Lynn”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I love this place. The bar is quaint and always busy. The food is very unique... the steak frites is wonderful and the salmon is always a favorite, but the garlic chicken dish is excellent. The appetizers always are great (including the flatbreads) and the desserts do not disappoint. Get the cinnamon home-made ice cream, amazing flavor. Get a reservation on weekend nights or you will be disappointed at the wait-time.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank hdavid1002
Boston, Massachusetts
“Run - do not walk to get the best burger of your life!”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

My husband and I live in the area and has this place on our list for a while. However, we are rarely out by Lynn to try it. One night when some other dinner plans fell through we decided to go - best decision ever.

Great parking - you can use the banks parking lot next door. We were there during one of the football playoff games so it wasn't busy even though it was Sunday of a long weekend. We got the calamari to start - well seasoned and well cooked. I got a Bacon and maple Bourbon - their drink list is amazing - definitely treat yourself to one of their many unique cocktails.

The star though are the burgers. We got both burger entrees - the Sin Burger and the Blue Ox burgers. The blue ox burgers are sliders with super rich creamy blue cheese baked inside, lettuce, tomato and bacon - perfectly messy - seasoned and juicy. However, we both agreed that the Sin burger is the best burger each of us has ever had. Gooey melted cheese and truffle aioli - it is so rich and decadent - honestly AMAZING. Also the fries were super crispy and well seasoned. Did I mention the free bread - fresh baked and with sweet butter - yum - try not to fill up.

Dessert did not let down either - we got their layered cake - dense and chocolatey - a perfect ending.

This place is a hidden gem - I almost don't want to tell anyone because it is so good. You will pay half of what you would pay in Boston and the food is superb. Service was also very good.

• Visited January 2013

Been to The Blue Ox? Share your experiences!