“Doing things chefs in Boston arent even pulling off”
Review of The Blue Ox

The Blue Ox
Reserve with OpenTable
The Blue Ox is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 184 Restaurants in Lynn
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Market Street
Transit: We are a short walk from the Lynn station of the MBTA Commuter Rail.
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I go to the Blue Ox at least twice a month. The food is exceptional. Its not just good because its outside of Boston, its just awesome in general. I deem my pallet pretty advanced and have eaten around the world. What Matt and the staff are doing here is something special. The wine list is something you would expect at a 5 star restaurant in NYC. The bar manager, Charlie is extremely knowledgable and can pair a glass of wine with anything on the menu. Next time you go, ask Charlie to pick your meal and match it with a great wine. If I had to pick a favorite, it would be the oysters or the brie. Enjoy!

Reviewed August 14, 2012

It seems that any of their fish is delicious, the Cod, Swordfish and Lobster. I had Pan roasted codfish served on saffron risotto, spring onions, watercress and fennel salad with aged balsamic. It was fantastic! The cod was fresh, moist and the portion was generous. I started with fresh lobster tail that had been taken off the boat that morning. Really, does it get any better than that?? I also tasted the swordfish, it was cooked to perfection and again Fresh. This is a happening place that the local foodies found out about so make a reservation. 41/2 mmm's out of 5

Reviewed August 7, 2012

This was a treat dinner that my S.O. took me to and boy! I don't think I could have asked for a better restaurant to be treated to. Firstly, we were in Nahant for a mini vacation and were searching for a good place to have dinner. We were given a few recommendations by the BnB owner that we were staying with but after further research, we found this wonderful place.

Firstly, it's not by any means in a swanky area. In fact going from the outside of this restaurant to inside is an intense experience. It has a wonderfully modern feel to it which instantly made it appealing to us. We had made reservations but ended up coming in early. They were able to seat us very promptly.

The service was fantastic, our waitress was incredibly nice, personable and friendly. She did a fantastic job of explaining their specials for the day since we both ended up ordering them!

Like many restaurants, they brought out bread but I was OH SO happy to see that it came with honey butter! It was so smooth and light, and the bread was warm, fresh out of the oven with a really nice crisp to it. For appetizers, we ordered the Oysters and the baked brie. This was my first time ever having had oysters and oh my god! it was amazing! My S.O said that these definitely set the bar high for my first try in terms of oyster quality and I can't help but agree. The Brie was wonderfully warm and delicious. We pretty much cleared the entire plate.

Our entrees just kept the wonderful ride we were on going! My S.O. got the fillet mignon special and I got the pork roast special. Oh my god it was amazing! The pork was cooked absolutely perfectly. It was nice and juicy. It came with baked beans that were done to perfection and coleslaw was pleasantly light and added a bit more texture to the dish. My S.O. was head over heels for his fillet mignon, particularly the mashed potatoes that came with it.

We both had cocktails - he had the old new fashioned and I had the blue oxtail - and they were absolutely yumyumyum!

For dessert, we shared the chocolate cake which was just the nicest way to end the meal.

The experience was over all just beyond superb, and it was nice that the manager of the restaurant came over to talk to us after the meal was done because we just could not stop gushing over the place while we were there! This is going to be a staple restaurant for us to visit whenever we're in the area - no ifs, ands or buts!

Reviewed August 6, 2012

My wife and I took my mother to Blue Ox for her birthday this past weekend. It was recommended through a friend. She suggested we make reservations and it was a good thing we did. Why are the best restaurants always hidden in the places you would least expect them? Parking was plentiful on the street outside of the restaurant.

We ordered the baked brie appetizer which was delicious. There wasn't one drop of food left on the plate. It was tasty and perfectly prepared as it was accompanied by fruit preserves and delicious bread that was toasted into crostini. My wife and mother ordered the hangar steak with fries which was accompanied by aioli mayo. Both orders were prepared to perfection. I ordered the seared cod on a bed of spring pea and mint risotto. I highly recommend this dish...it was perfect! The service was great...friendly and knowledgable. The only down side was the drinks could have been colder and were pricey for the size, $11.00. Also, some beautiful paintings on the wall that look to be local Lynn locales. All in all, it was a great night out! No complaints here......... Great job Blue Ox!!

Reviewed July 30, 2012

I have not had a better meal in 2 years outside of the North End. The chefs here are Juiliard worthy. Everything is fresh and ideas are new. I recommend any steak and ask for a taste of the house wine before choosing.

Been to The Blue Ox? Share your experiences!