“Great Portuguese Food”

Dining options: Reservations
Naperville, Illinois
“Great Portuguese Food”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

We had five in our group. The service was prompt and attentive. They have a nice selection of wines including Portuguese. I had a Monte Velho-half a bottle (split size) for $9.00. Our entrees were: pork chops, scallops, and a seafood dish. The portions are large. My seafood with rice was served in a large bowl. It included shrimp, mussels, scallops and a lobster on top. The complementary bread (white or wheat) is served warm. Our mistake was we ate too much bread. We couldn't finish our dinners. I did take back to the hotel a piece of their triple chocolate truffle cake($6.00). It was deliciously sinfully good.

• Visited December 2013

Springfield, Massachusetts
“Pretty good food, Sssllllooowww service”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Seven of us have just returned from the restaurant. It was our third time, and the kitchen doesn't ever run fast, but this was agonizing. They brought out freshly baked bread, three kinds, which was nice, but we must have waited an hour and a half to get served. The waitress was very pleasant, and apologetic, and we understood that it was not her fault that the kitchen was so slow.

The meals were good--nice salads, kale soup, very good mixed grill and mariscada. My father-in-law said the lamb chops were tough, but there were no other complaints, except that the waitress came out after about an hour of waiting to say that there were no scallops, which two of us had ordered. Why it took them that long to figure out, I'm not sure. We said we didn't want to wait for any substitutions, and when the food came out, there were indeed two half orders of scallops; I guess that was all they could rustle up, or go to the sea and catch--that's how long everyone was waiting.

The waitress did offer to give us free coffee and dessert, which was nice, but not really compensation enough for the wait. Again, it was nothing that she did wrong; the kitchen was just too slow, on a night when the restaurant was certainly not packed.

We like the food at Tony and Penny's, but doubt that we'll be back until they get the service right.

• Visited September 2013
Longmeadow, Massachusetts
“Mother's Day Flop”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Attended mothers day brunch 2013 and was very disappointed. Service was poor, food was poor; food that was meant to be cold was warm and warm foods were cold, all of it tasteless. The atmosphere left much to be desired, tables were too close together, buffet tables the same it felt like cattle being herded to the troughs. Mimosa's tasted like water, coffee served in paper cups! No one offered beverages to my children. It was all around an unpleasant experience, I will never go back! The entire family felt the same.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Carole N
ATHOL, MA.
“A little place with good food”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We met a couple for dinner. They offered traditional fare as well as portugese cuisine. The wine selection was very good. I had the baked seafood plater. It was very good. The service was a little slow. My wife had beef medallions. It was good but not great. We will be back again.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank STEPHAN K
Natick
“Very poor service - food just OK”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My friends and I had dinner here and it was not a good experience. First of all the Air Conditioning was not working on a very hot night. The tiny dining room was only 1/2 full but service was very slow. We waiting about 15 minutes for our drinks. Calamari appetizer took more than 1/2 hour. Our dinners took an additional 1/2 hour after the appetizer. Only 3 of our 4 dinners were served because the kitchen didn't see the 4th order. Our second round of drinks took over 1/2 hour to be served. We were largely ignored until I asked to speak to the manager. The food was only fair when it was served. Our server did reduce the check by 10% and offered desserts free of charge. This was our second visit. Our first visit was very good and we were looking forward to our dinner last night. I'm not sure we'll be back.

• Visited June 2013