“Improvement needed”

Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Lyons
Description: Specializing in European cuisine and the ultimate interactive dining experience, we present your meal cooking on our volcanic rocks at your table. You can then enjoy a meal freshly prepared and cooked to your personal taste. Our casual restaurant has a nice bar area, offering refreshing and homemade white and red sangria. We also provide full service catering in our space or at a place of your choosing. We have a banquet space for up to 125 people for any type of party.
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Recently, my son and I decided to try Europa in Ludlow, MA. While we found the service quite good, the food could be improved. I was a fan of Europa when it was in South Hadley, so I was a little disappointed.
We tried the Caprese Stack which really lacked mozzarella. The pieces were very small, and the four tomatoe slices average.
The calamari was very salty yet it tasted fresh and was a good size serving. The salty taste dominated and made the calamari rather unenjoyable.
For entrees my son had a Cajun Burger which he enjoyed. It was a large hamburger that came with sweet potato fries.
I had the paella with chicken and lobster which was a large portion, but again very salty. There was lots of chicken but little
lobster. The menu had read that
It came with a whole lobster but the dish had a few small pieces.
I took some home and the next
day, it still had a strong salty taste. We both would have to say that our server was attentive and offered more
bread and a smile throughout the dinner, but we hope that Europa works on food quality in the future.

2  Thank drbrianjrachmaciej

Reviewed July 19, 2012

Reopening and relocating in 2012 after a fire destroyed their much smaller location, Europa is still trying to find it's spot as a higher-end establishment. The interior decor of the half with the dining room still needs to be worked on, and the distinct odor of seafood greets you when you walk in. The menu favors Portuguese and Mediterranean specialties with others thrown in for good measure. The "Black Rock" name comes from the fact that you can cook your steak on a black (lava?) rock that's heated to over 700 degrees at your table and to your own liking. Food taste and quality is very good, prices average with good portions. Service is mediocre, but they were just re-opening so maybe they were still working on that. They do have a full bar on one half and offer some live entertainments: DJ, band, etc. on certain nights. I will be back soon to check on any possible improvements.

2  Thank PaulZielinski
Reviewed June 4, 2012

My husband and I went to try Europa for the first time on Saturday night. It was a different restuarant until recent purchased and renovated; what a great job they did. Upon entering, we saw 4 different parties of people we knew; upon the locals, they already have a great reputation. The service was very attentive, and the food was truly amazing. Portion size was very generous as well. My husband had the NY strip steak and myself, the Penne Gargonzola with spinich and red peppers. Our bill was just over $40 inclusive of a glass of wine, and paying additional for a ceasar salad. One friend that I ran into, raved about the great lobsters with a remarkably low price (she said like $12 for a great lobster, but we didn't confirm that with our server). The only concern was it was a little warm even with a lot of ceiling fans going (but in all fairness, it was VERY busy....Even going at 8pm, we had to wait about 20 mins for a table) and in preparation for the entertainment that was starting at 9pm, someone kept dimming and turning up the lights. Minor considering everything else was AWESOME....We will def. be back:)

1  Thank Dianna W
Reviewed April 29, 2012

I was here with my sister for lunch last Tuesday. We had the buffet. I'm not always fond of buffets, but this family knows how to put one together. Pulled pork, roast chicken, steamed vege's, bacalhau, a rice soup and a very good carrot cake all for $9.50/PP
on Wednesday evening we were there for dinner with my in laws. Michael saved some fejuada for me, which was fantastic. My wife and her brother had a large piece of salmon on a hot stone.
Both enjoyed their meals. My sister in law had a shrimp and pasta dish which she said needed Jaime flavor, but all in all, wkej said we'd be back again soon. Try Europa Black Rock! Out door dining is available when it warms up! Delightful!