“Bland Food, Disgraceful Staff”
Review of Semolina Bread Co Incorporated - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Semolina Bread Co Incorporated
Cuisines: Soups
Boston, Massachusetts
“Bland Food, Disgraceful Staff”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I’ve come here several times over the course of a few years, and have been disappointed every time. This is some of the worst food and service I have ever received. The workers are almost exclusively high school students with the exception of the owner who is in a class of his own when it comes poor customer service. I once got a turkey sandwich that was so drenched in spicy mustard it was inedible. A couple of years later I decided to give it another shot. My order was being taken by the owner who was unfriendly and cutting me off as I spoke. I ordered soup and a sandwich. He asked me whether I would like my sandwich on “Semolina” bread or wheat bread. I questioned what “Semolina” bread was and he scolded me telling me it was “bread” and basically the whole point of the restaurant. I was appalled, to say the least. My friend also ordered a sandwich. We noticed the bill was suspiciously high but we paid and waited as our food was being prepared. The girls preparing our lunch were incredibly slow-paced, rude, unprofessional, and mean. Meanwhile, during our long wait we witnessed the abuse of another worker. He was a teenage boy who looked very young and the girls behind the counter were yelling at him and ridiculing him as he was cleaning the tables. He looked like he was fighting back tears. I felt horrible. The food was finally served and there were two bowls of soup and we had only ordered one. We kindly informed them of the mistake and asked for a refund on the soup (it was completely wrapped in a to-go container and our hands never touched it.) We were refused. We asked to speak to the owner and after much debate we’re finally repaid for the unwanted soup. We were too disgusted with the horrible staff to eat in the restaurant like we originally planned so we went home with our lunch.

Despite the ingredients being fresh, the sandwiches tasted very bland and dry. The semolina bread is not worthy of revolving a restaurant around. The bowl of soup was so hot it was hazardous and when it finally cooled down to an edible temperature it was as bland and tasteless as the rest of the food.

In short, I would never recommend this restaurant to anyone. The staff is as disgraceful as their food.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank DaniDrifter

Hartford CT
“Good sandwiches, very consistent”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I've come here several times, usually on the weekends. friendly staff, never have to wait too long. They do a good job. I've always had good food here, no complaints. I like going here, feel I'll always get a good lunch.

Visited April 2013
Springfield, Massachusetts
“YUMMY sandwiches.”
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Despite what the other review said, Semolina is delicous. The sandwiches are soooo good. My favorites are #16, a mozz, tomato, and basil, or the tuna panini. The bread is wonderful, and I sometimes come and purchase just the bread to make (cheaper) sandwiches at my house. I have never seen any unsanitary behavior from any of the college kids who make the food. A must try.

• Visited March 2012
Wilbraham, Massachusetts
“beware”
Reviewed January 26, 2011

I last visited this place to get a drink ONLY. I used to like picking up a sandwich here from time to time although it always seemed to be run by indifferent high school/college aged staff who were not exactly world beaters in the customer service department, but nothing too egregious....until the day my daughter and I went in and ordered two sandwiches. While waiting, I watched the young guy making the sandwiches wipe the blade of the knife on his dirty apron front after slicing the first one. I had already paid (that's how it works there) and I had a heck of a time getting the girl who was nominally in charge to refund my money because I had no intention of eating anything there after that. She claimed she didn't know how to do a refund and that no one else did either. She disappeared for a time into a back (or downstairs?) area and finally returned and refunded my money. The worst thing was that none of the staff seemed to think there was anything wrong with the unsanitary way he "cleaned" his knife between customers....sheesh!

• Visited December 2010