“Truffel Spuds”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Two week old restaurant and newest of the MAX Restaurant Group
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Come her alot and i really like it . Burgers are grea but a bit pricy for a burger.The Max Group does a great job of dressin up a burger joint. The one item i do recomend is the truffel spud they are amazing give them a try (not the truffdel fries) .

There are newer reviews for Max Burger

Reviewed March 18, 2013

It all started with receiving dirty/stained napkins. That should have warned us of what was to come. The burgers were a little greasy but overall pretty good...going down. Both my wife and I were sick almost immediately after exiting the restaurant. I recovered in 24 hours but my wife is still sick. We can't say for sure, but our primary guess is the "inside-out" burger had some bacteria that was not killed during cooking. Now, we did order it cooked 'medium', but I would have expected a place like this to have no problem with food quality.

It's a shame because I really wanted to like this place. With more and more options available in Longmeadow, I will not be returning to Max Burger.

2  Thank JimPBoston
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Longmeadow, and Western Mass in general, need more dining options like Max Burger -- nice, clean, and generally affordable. The atmosphere is good; it's cozy, although if busy, it feels too crowded. I think the bar area is more pleasant than the dining room. As for the food, I've been disappointed on both my visits. The veg burger, while flavorful, was at times dry (like eating sawdust). On my second visit, I tried the artichoke and spinach "encrusted" chicken sandwich. The description of this dish is way off. In no way is it encrusted, but rather, there is spinach and artichoke dip spread on top of an otherwise flavorless chicken breast. It's too messy to eat as a sandwich, so I ended up taking off the top part of the bun and eating it with a knife and fork. Later in the evening, I had quite a bit of intestinal distress, which I attributed to the dip toping. The only good part of this sandwich was the tasty roasted tomatoes on top, which added a delicious touch. My dining partner ordered one of the specials on our first visit. It was a spicy chicken pasta dish. Good flavor for this, but there was a bit of sticker shock when the bill came, as it was priced around $16-17. Be sure to ask how much the specials are before ordering; the server won't tell you. Now, granted, I have not tried the burgers here, and clearly that's what they are all about. If you are a vegetarian, vegan, or just don't eat red meat, you'll probably want to go elsewhere, or just enjoy Max Burger for drinks and appetizers.

2  Thank RPCV8688
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I've enjoyed both of my experience at Max Burger. Most recently I started with the buffalo shrimp and had the shrimp burger as my entree. Both were very good. Previously, I had a pulled pork special of which I was also quite fond. The beer list is extensive, and they usually have about 10 options on draught and 25-30 bottles available. As many reviewers have noted, it is pretty loud inside and seemingly always busy. They do not accept reservations, but you can call ahead to put your name on a waiting list that will at least shorten the wait. The prices are high, but that is consistent among the Max chains. This has been arguably the best restaurant in Longmeadow since it opened, and I would certainly recommend it.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Let me start by saying that I am a big fan of the Max’s restaurants in the Hartford area. Until, of course, they cross into Massachusetts where, it seems, quality-control disappears. I have been to Max’s Burger in Longmeadow 5 times already and I really want to like the place. The sad truth is, I am starting to dislike it.

The restaurant is poorly designed. From the entrance area to the bar and the tables, everywhere is crowded—tables and booths are wedged together so there is not even a chance of a private or comfortable meal. I get it— the restaurant is small. The owner’s reputation is great. The concept (high-end burgers) is hot. So pack people in like sardines everywhere you can and the cash will flow! Of course, the result will be a loud, uncomfortable experience that in no way approaches the “fine dining” experiences you could have at Max’s Oyster Bar or Max Amore, etc., but who cares? This is Longmeadow, not West Hartford, etc.

The beer selection here is nice (but the special, brewed for Max’s beers tend to be heavy and bitter). The appetizers are hit and miss. The spring rolls are greasy, as are the sliders. The chili is bland and uninspired (and too sweet). The spinach avocado dip is good (but no better than 99’s or Applebees’). The entrée burgers are good, not great. And greasy burgers are their bane! If you order ANY of their beef burgers (with the exception of the Kobe burger), your bun will be dissolved by a puddle of grease half-way before it is completely consumed. Also, they have a terrible habit of intentionally undercooking burgers. Ask for medium and you WILL get medium-rare. Ask for medium well and you get medium, etc… What is the point of that? There is a standard. Rare is cool and red center. Medium is warm and pink center. Well is no pink. That’s the standard, Max’s. The sides are only average. The fries are good, not great. The onion rings are terrible. The salads are good, but a bit on the small side. The Ceasar dressing, however, is superb.

The wait staff and hostesses are not well trained here in Longmeadow. Having been there now 5 times, I have seen a number of mistakes made. When someone I was with ordered a 5oz burger and was brought an 8oz burger by mistake, the waitress took it back and that person had to wait 15 minutes for a replacement while the rest of the table (those who did not start eating) let their food get cold. Even the waitress admitted that she wrote it down wrong. Let him keep the 8oz burger rather than ruin everyone’s meal! Who operates like that? As I have stated, Max’s re-calibrates the cooking scale. This has been an issue on 2 of my visits. A medium-rare burger was served rare—COLD AND RED CENTER. No apologies from the waiter, only a snobby remark that “this is how it is done at Max’s.” And then another 15 minute wait to correct the matter (and return a well-done burger). A “low-talker” colleague of mine had her order prepared incorrectly and the waiter scolded her for not speaking up loudly enough for him to hear her (after all, our restaurant is also loud and crowded)! How about clarifying the order, rather than just guessing? And when they ask if “everything is all-right,” don’t answer honestly or the wait-staff will make you feel stupid. Train your staff in Longmeadow, Max’s. That behavior would not fly at the Hartford-area restaurants!

Finally, a happy hour menu (like that which is available at all the other Max’s—including Max’s Tavern in MA) would be a nice addition.

In Summary, if you really want an over-crowded, loud, expensive, under-cooked, greasy burger with an attitude, Max’s is your dream come true. If, however, you want to experience what made the Max’s chain so respected, head to Hartford!

3  Thank skimd