“Okay, but nothing special”
Review of AKA Bistro - CLOSED

AKA Bistro
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Across from the MBTA commuter train Lincoln Station stop
Reviewed December 16, 2012

A group of friends went to AKA Bistro for lunch last Friday. None of had been there before, but we'd seen some good reviews (as well as some less good reviews) on TripAdvisor and elsewhere.

The first thing we noticed was that the menu was more than a little confusing. There were two or three different fixed price options for lunch, and these had quite specific requirements that were not spelled out. So the waitress had to explain them to the group several times before people had it clear enough to order.

All in all, the food was just okay. I had a mushroom tartlette for an appetizer that was quite good and the best thing I tasted. A side salad with it was uninteresting. I had mussels in white wine broth for a main course, and there were lots of mussels all of which were fine. My wife got the soup of the day, a mushroom bisque, which tasted entirely of mushrooms; it didn't much better than what you get from a can. She got the hamburger as the main course, and it was cooked as requested but wan't particularly tasty. She ended up trading with me. The fries that same with many of the meals were good. Another person got the quiche and felt like it hadn't been made fresh, and another got the steak and thought it was just okay though liked the apple salad he had with it. We all shared a chocolate mousse for dessert, which again was good but nothing special.

The price was pretty high for lunch, and the food was just not that great. It's hard to judge a place based on a single lunch, but given our experience, as well as the other reviews on TripAdvisor that seem similar, I don't think we'll be going back.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

My husband and I met our son for dinner. We had all heard rave reviews. The food was good but it was not exceptional. We probably will not return for dinner because for the price we would expect better than just good. We will try the brunch since it also gets excellent reviews.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

We went to AKA Bistro last night for the second time. On our first visit we had an enjoyable meal. We had a reservation but when we walked into the restaurant we decided to sit at the bar, our favorite place! Upon entering, there was a very faint smell of fish which was a little bothersome to me. The restaurant has a French menu and a Japanese menu. We chose the French. We started with a glass of wine, a Cote de Rhone and a Bordeaux Blanc which were very good but the pour was definitely on the small side. The food, not bad but nothing exciting about it. The prices-high. I dont' mind paying for a great meal but this was not worth what we paid, over $100 for a meal that we shared. Steak frites, steak cooked medium rare as requested and good homemade fries, an average arugula and beet salad and pork fritters. Dessert, a little molten chocolate cake with homemade ice cream. Also, the two dishes we wanted to order, the rock shrimp tempura and octopus and clam ceviche, they were out of. And it was only 7:30P. What was the best part of the meal? The wine and watching the goings on in the kitchen. Will we go back? Probably not.
For more of my reviews on travel and restuarants check out 2atthebar.com

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Fourth visit. Food is high-quality and well presented; good service. Prices a little on the high side given portion size and food style (sushi/sashimi even more so), but a great place to have locally

Reviewed November 9, 2012

So let me start by saying the menu requires a PhD in linquistic strategy. It is a sushi/french bistro menu with very excellent food, imaginative offerings and a totally confusing format. Even the physical set up of the menu is bizarre and off putting but the food is great.
The real problem is the noise level - while the room is pretty the acoustics prevent conversation and promote yelling - by everyone as you cannot hear anything your meal mate says unless you join in the sotto voce . I personally think an assault on the ears diminishes one's ability to actually taste so..... turn down the noise and you may get to appreciate the lovely meal before you