“won't go back”

Ranked #52 of 67 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Located in the heart of historic downtown Lexington, Vine Brook Tavern offers contemporary American fare with European influences housed in a warm setting that narrates its roots within the community. Led by owner Marcus Palmer and Executive Chef Chris Frothingham, both alumni of the Todd English Group, the pair combine their years of hospitality expertise and skill for executing comforting cuisine into a unique interpretation of casual yet elegant dining.
Reviewed March 16, 2013

This restaurant is overpriced and the food is poor quality. We met friends for a reunion and left disappointed.

2  Thank damico8

Reviewed March 9, 2013

I brought my parents and children to Vine Brook at 6pm on a Saturday night. It was not that crowded at 6pm, though the waitress who greeted us commented on how busy it was. We did not get our dinners until 7:10pm and it then took until past 8pm to get out of there.

My parents asked if they could split a salad and the waitress said it was no problem. The salad came and was put in front of my father. He told the waiter that he was splitting the salad with his wife, and he put the plate between them so that they could eat off of it at the same time. I asked if they could each get a separate plate, which is what I expected when the waitress agreed to split the salad. The waitress came back with two plates and said she would not usually help people split the salad because it it always too busy.

As the restaurant got busier, it got very loud and we had to shout at each other to be heard. The decor is nice and the menu has something for everyone. The bacon and cheese biscuits are great. My boys love the brown bread that comes to the table as well.

We got our food after 7pm and my mother and I had the scallops, which arrived stone cold. The other dinners were hot. My father thought the steak frites were okay, but chewy, and my son thought the sea bass was okay. My other son enjoyed his chicken fingers and fries. My mother and I asked to get our dinners heated, and the waitress did so. The manager came over and asked how everything was, which was nice. However, I was hoping to bring my parents to a really nice dinner, and I was embarrassed that I had brought them to Vine Brook Tavern. For a tab of $250+, I expect much better. Too bad, as we really need a nice restaurant in Lexington.

2  Thank Workingfordaman
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I came in for the first time on a wednesday night.. it was pretty busy. I sat at the bar upstairs ...the decor was beautiful... the bartender was extremely helpful and friendly and made great recomendations...I believe her name was jen. Thanks jen! The food was amazing...we had the tuna tartare, ceaser salad (baby gem) and clam chowder. Great beer and wine selection! We will definitely return

Reviewed March 6, 2013

This is the second time my wife and I have had lunch there. The food is good but on the pricey side - lunch size portion of fish & chips $17 is quite high compared to some places on the South Shore. Service was better the first time we visited even though they were busy. The person who seated us walked up to us at the front desk with his hands in his trouser pockets!
Really not the type of person to be the front of the house greeter.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Vine Brook Tavern is a gem and fills a void of a much needed quaint bar scene with truly amazing food. My husband and I got a sitter with very high expectations and couldn't have been happier!

With regards to staff, the host/hostess were very friendly and accommodating, and were doing a great job under the stress of a busy opening night--having expectations of perfection is completely unrealistic. In fact, we've been back 4-5 times and the service was again outstanding.

With regards to drinks at the bar, the drink menu is all encompassing. The bartender, Dan, went out of his way to make sure we were happy, chatted with us and enthusiastically told us all about the creation of the tavern.

With regards to the ambience--nice work in completely renovating the space. It's very well done, with warm colors, and gives a comfortable, yet classy and historic vibe.

My husband and I go out to eat a lot, and we had some of the best food we've ever had at Vine Brook. The lobster flat bread, lobster sliders and octopus for apps, and the sea bass and veal were all delicious! We're psyched to finally have a major chef from Boston out here in the suburbs.

Welcome to Lexington!