“A Let's-Go-Back Kind of Place except....”
Review of Daikanyama

Daikanyama
Ranked #12 of 67 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 27, 2013

....we were there for lunch and ordered off of the special kitchen lunch menu. Both dishes-when they came out-were excellent, the problem was one came out in 10 minutes, followed 10 minutes later by the other dish, and that is unacceptable. However, as noted the food was excellent, a chicken katsu was amongst the best that I had ever had, on the other hand, it was also, truth be told, the first one, but is was terrific. My companion had the shrimp and vegetable tempura which although it made a late appearance, was (almost) worth the wait. Actually, it was worth the wait, it was just inconvenient. The soup and salad starters as part of the lunch were also excellent.

And the price was very reasonable, $12 for a 3 course lunch, hard to beat, especially given the quality of the food.

Decor was nice, nothing fancy, but more than adequate and the service was attentive.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

I dine at Daikanyama at least once a week. Always get great service with a smile and a fantastic meal. They recently renovated their space and created a new and richer than ever menu. If you're into sushi and Japanese food, don't miss this one.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

We often visit Lexington to go to the excellent cinema. This past weekend we unexpectedly ran into friends at the theater and they suggested we try Daikamyama after the show. We were happy to oblige as we have wanted to try the restaurant for awhile.

The entire experience was excellent. The space is very nice with clean lines and comfortable seating. There are several large booths many tables and even a fw private tooms in the Japanese style. All in all a very relaxed and pleasant place to be.

The food was of excellent quality and very well prepared. We had a special cucumber roll that was delicious, a combination plate of sushi and sashimi and an outstanding sushi roll that was a special for the evening. The menu includes a wide range of Japanese cuisine including a array of soba noodle dishes and tempura. They are also set up for Korean barbecue at your table. Very nice menu.

It is not cheap but in my mind it is reasonable. With a bottle of wine, the bill was $80 for the four of us. This is not at all bad for a quality sushi experience.

The service was informed but a bit slow. This is not bad if you are not pressed for time but I would have liked to see a waiter a little more often.

All in all it was a refined, enjoyable and fulfilling experience. We will return.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Daikanyama is consistently very good. We eat there at least once a month. The sushi specials are creative and unique. Food from the kitchen is also quite good. Service is friendly, but not always fast. Best sushi in town, but better can be found at Toraya in Arlington.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Sushi is one of my all time favorite foods. I'll confess though that after eating it often in Japan, I've become more than a little selective when it comes to American Japanese restaurants. The better U.S. restaurants, like Daikanyama, offer a good mix of authentic dishes plus some American creativity with original and unusual maki. I like the daikanyama maki, the Godzilla maki, and several others. Also, the Chiken Katsu is some of the best I've ever had -- even in Japan!