“A Hip, Hidden Gem, Especially for Extended Stays”
Review of Element Lexington

Element Lexington
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Lexington
Reviewed August 18, 2009

My wife, young son and I stayed for one week in mid-July 2009 and had a great experience. We stayed in a one-bedroom suite, which had plenty of room and provided a sense of separation between the bedroom and the living room. The suite is very well designed and utilizes its space extremely well. The kitchen has a refrigerator, sink, microwave and stovetop, and all necessary utensils, pots, silverware, etc. are provided. It was perfect for a one-week stay. The lobby has a Wii system which my son and I played virtually every day, and the free breakfast was well above what I expected.

There were two minor problems. First, the vent in the bathroom sounded like it was a fan that was always on -- the sound is the equivalent of having the person next door in a typical hotel running their shower. The engineer explained that the way that the ventilation system is designed, the rooms on the fourth floor (the top floor) always make that sound. The issue was easily fixed by simply closing the bathroom door at all times, which eliminated all of the sound. The second problem was that the room was not cleaned as well as it could have. Nothing major, just some dust, crumbs, etc. that could have been vacuumed or swept but were not. When we told the front desk they advised that they were transitioning between an outsourced cleaning staff and an employed staff and were working on the problem.

We have stayed at several different extended stay properties in the Boston area, and this one was by far the best. We will definitely return the next time we are in the area.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed August 16, 2009

My husband and I stayed here at the end of June. The hotel is quite new so everything still looks great and there is not a lot of wear and tear of the hotel yet. Overall, this hotel was very middle of the road:

The Good: Great atmosphere. Check in was easy and we were asked if we would like a list of restaurants in the area and a list for downtown Boston - we took both. Room was quite spacious and we liked the decor. The full kitchen (microwave, dishwasher, cook top, full fridge) was great to make some snacks during our stay and have everything be cold. The bathroom was big and we absolutely loved the shower. This is a green hotel and we really appreciated the effort to conserve energy - eco friendly products, recycling bins, energy star appliances. Free internet in rooms. The free breakfast was good and there was a decent selection. Pool, fitness center, and outdoor patio areas looked nice. Great park area for bike riding, hiking, or walking just outside of the parking lot.

The so-so: Location was not bad to visit Boston for the price, free parking, free breakfast, and free internet. You had to drive to all restaurants - some were only 5-10 minutes away. No room service, only a self serve pantry (some items were expensive, but some were reasonably priced).

The Bad: Our first morning there, one of the light fixtures under the kitchen cabinets started smoking and burned a hole through the bottom of the cabinet. (If the light was left on after we left, I am pretty sure it could have started a fire). I immediately turned off the light and called the front desk. They said they would send an engineer up to the room. 15-20 minutes later, he actually showed up! Having a whole room fill with smoke because of a faulty light fixture in a hotel is urgent to me. I would think they would want to make sure that their guests are safe and to see if they need assistance. However, the engineer was very polite and very professional. He shared that his has happened more than once, but never to this extent. It did not seem that the front desk gave him the impression that this was an urgent matter - he seemed quite upset that this happened as he was inspecting the damage in our room. He said he was going to call the manufacturer immediately. The front desk called to see if the engineer was there, but never offered to change our room. All we got was a "I'm sorry this happened to you." I had to call down and tell them (not ask) that we were changing rooms due to this being a safety hazard - and they agreed. Although, once again, just an "I'm sorry" and no upgrade or compensation. (At this point we were well behind on our schedule and I was not in the mood to argue). I also told them that they should be telling all guests to make sure that the lights are off before they leave the room. We felt that this matter was not handled appropriately by the staff.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank slp2003
Reviewed August 16, 2009

Our family of two adults and two children 6 and 3 spent a weekend at this hotel in April. We were anything but dissappointed. This is a great hotel with a greater green concept. We loved it!!!

When you pull inbo the complex, you are greeted by plenty of parking and lots of reserved sapces for peopel with hybrids and alternative energy vehicles. It is onvious immedialty that this hotel has a green mission.

The lobby is bright with natural light and spacious with a very modern look to it. The check-in desk is well planned and the initial check in is quick and easy. The staff is very friendly and full of information.

The rooms are beautiful. Large and spacious, they too have plenty of natural light and all the modern conveninces of a green mission hotel. Applainces, furntiure, recyling and water saving facilities are just to name a few. Clean is an understaement - these rooms are immaculate!!! Very easy to feel comfortable and at home is such a warm and clean room.

The pool was a hit with our kids. In keeping with the green mission, it is a saline pool, which means your kids can swim for hours and not be bothered by over exposure to chlorine and bromine. The towels are large and soft, the furniture comfortable and the entire structure of the pool area again allows maximum lnatural ight and warmth.

The rooms are quiiet and peaceful. It is easy to get a good night rest on such comfortbale beds with quality linens. The AV set up is quality as well. Very good flat screen TVs that swivel 360 degrees make it easy to multi task in the room.

The breakfast is very good. There is an emphasis on health and sustainability in the food. Fair trade, locally grown and healthy choices are all evident. The hot breakfast sandwiches are very tasty. The coffee is excellent.

The staff was very good. From the housekeepers to the food service to the guest services. All were friendly, personable and very helpful. While the hotel is beautiful, the people make it enjoyable!!

Staying in this hotel it is obvious that this is the future of hotels with an emphasis on the environment, sustainability and low impact on tne environment. Our family really enjoyed this hotel and we would seek out more of this chain when we travel. We enjoyed the green mission, the green products in the rooms and foods offered and the entire concept of sustainable lodging. If these items are important to you, you will embrace your time spent at these hotels.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2009

Free parking, free wifi. Aloft hotel is right accross. Rooms bigger than in Aloft. Paid around $89 a night.
Good: Everything is new, cool room design, rooms good size, fully equipped kitchen. Great hotel with all amenities in your room. Free breakfast - was really good. Rooms bigger than in aloft accross the parking lot. Great TV.
Bad: Hallway noise - yes you can hear people talking and banging doors. Can wake you up. Some people said AC unit was loud when it turned on/off on automatic - quick fix: take it off automatic and put it on 74 - will be exactly what you need. it will blow all night without crazy noizes. Pool was small. Beds were not very comfortable in my opinion - although some people may love it - reminded me of tempur pedic material. Hotel location is not perferct for visiting boston. In the morning rush hour it took me 40 minutes to get to boston downtown, on the way back - 5pm it took me more than 1 hour.

Overall I would recomment you to stay at this hotel if you are okay driving longer to boston and if you do not plan to sleep late (noise). It is definately better than any hilton garden inn or similar 3* hotels down the highway. Would recomment over any hotel in Waltham (hilton, mariott, double tree, westin). Better hotels are only in boston like Seaport hotel or accross the canal near the airport Hyatt - great hotel, but expensive. Basically for this price it is the best hotel you can get 15-20 miles away from boston.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank grimusa
Reviewed July 26, 2009

Great rate and very clean. Sort of silly sustainable thing going. Are plastic plants more green? Do plastic (leather-like) straps on the ceiling in the hall lower the overall carbon footprint somehow? Preferred parking for Hybrid Cars? Still, big TV and a nice kitchen made for a very nice family room.
Breakfast each morning was OK, complimentary wine and nibbles each evening was welcome. Remarkably friendly atmosphere among the guests during these times. Pool small but fine for the kids (way too much chlorine on second day!). Pity the adults that wanted a quiet lap or two. There were lots of kids there during July. Pets were seen, guess they are allowed too!
Big exercise room, lots of towels, quiet rooms.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 18, 2009

Made a weekend trip and decided to try out the new Element by Westin. The check in was fast and had a room on the 2nd floor with a view of the Aloft across the walkway. The room was nice and spacious, but I agree with the other posters, be careful of the carpet under the bed as the corner does roll up and may make your talk to the bed that much faster. The room is definitely roomier than the aloft rooms, nicer, that is debatable. I like the little kitchenette within each room and the in room purified water dispenser. I did not get the full blown kitchen but a microwave, mini fridge, and a dish washing area. Cutlery and utensils were provided but not sure why, not going to cook anything big with a microwave but frozen stuff and popcorn to go with the flat screen showing a movie.

The washroom is very spacious, more so than the aloft. The bed is "heavenly".

The nice surprise is the breakfast they provide in the morning, the coffee is nice along with the juice bad and hot sandwich area. Some people mention the smoothie but that was not my cup of tea.

All in all, a very nice stay and convenient to travel to.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed July 6, 2009

This was such a great experience, I want to plan my next short trip to where another Element hotel is !! The rooms were modern and spacious. The bathroom was clean well lit. The room even had a FULL size fridge. I liked the abundence of outlets, so that I did not have to unplug a lamp to charge my phone.
The hallways were a bit loud, but the noise of the A/C kind of drowned it out. Not a problem for me since I usually like a little noise when I sleep.
The breakfast is just great. They had fresh fruit, pancakes, breakfast sandwiches, cereals, muffins... Wonderful selection. i woke up just to have breakfast :)
Great Job Element Westin!!!
ALTHOUGH, i did see some dirty smudges on the towel and the bed spread the first night. This did not turn me off overall. I just threw the towel on the floor and took off the top bed spread.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lexington
Aloft Lexington
The Westin Waltham-Boston
Embassy Suites by Hilton Boston / Waltham
DoubleTree Hotel Boston/Bedford Glen
Hilton Garden Inn Burlington

Been to Element Lexington? Share your experiences!