“Another Positive Experience” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Lexington
New Jersey
“Another Positive Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel for the second time, and I definitely recommend it. Although I recall being happy with the Element the first time I stayed here a year and a half ago, I think it has even improved with age. I found it exceedingly comfortable and restful for a quick one-night stay. It still also looks very new, despite being a few years old now.

I had to make a last-minute trip to Cambridge and there was really nothing affordable there, which was likely due to the several events that were going on at Harvard at the time. I wasn’t interested in staying in Downtown Boston, so I settled on something in the suburbs as an alternative. I was happy to see that the Element and Aloft aren’t all that far from Cambridge, plus had low rates. The rates were basically the same for both hotels at the time, but I ultimately settled on the Element over the Aloft because it offers much more spacious rooms, free breakfast, and just a nicer/calmer environment.

The Element is located just off of I-95, and at least for getting to Cambridge, it was an easy drive down the Concord Turnpike (abut 20 minutes). The hotel is a bit isolated on a hill, and I didn’t see much of anything nearby during either stay, in terms of restaurants or stores. You can easily drive on 95 north a couple of exits to the Burlington Mall area for more than enough restaurant choices.

The Element really isn’t very aesthetically pleasing from the outside, but it’s much better on the inside. Everything is very clean and modern, decorated in earth tones. I was impressed by how spotless everything was. We even noticed some areas in the hallway that needed to be painted while we were there, and sure enough, the next morning, they had been. There seems to be very good attention to detail here.

When we arrived around noon, we were able to check-in immediately, and found the woman at the front desk to be very friendly and welcoming. We were in one of the studio suites with 2 queens (room 265), and it was exactly as I remembered it from my first stay. I was impressed that everything in the room was still spotless and felt new. One could argue that the rooms are a bit drab and too neutral, but I find them restful. I think the design of these rooms is smart. The studio suites are basically L-shaped, with the kitchenette along one wall as you come into the room, a couch straight ahead along the window, and beds off to the side. The large desk and tv on a rotating stand serve as a divider between the bed and kitchen sides of the room. The way the room was laid out made it easy for everyone to have some space to themselves. One person could be working at the desk while another sat on one of the kitchen stools and used the counter as a work space.

The bathroom is quite large and nice as well. The bathroom could even have been made a bit smaller to give the rest of the room more space. The sink has plenty of counter space and the walk-in shower is really large with a nice rainforest-style showerhead. Shampoo and shower gel are in the shower in dispensers (I honestly couldn’t tell the difference between the two). We had one small issue with the toilet. The toilet has two flush options marked on top, a half flush and full flush. I’m not exactly sure how, but one of the two buttons was stuck down and the toilet wouldn’t flush when we arrived. Luckily it ended up being pretty easy to fix by taking the top off the toilet and fooling around with it.

All in all, we really enjoyed the room and even liked having the kitchen area (something I’m never much of a fan of). It was impeccably clean, unlike at some other long-term stay chains, and having kitchen supplies was great when we had some food to bring back to the room to eat.

You also can’t go wrong with the beds, since they are the very comfortable Westin heavenly beds. I was able to get good sleep in the bed. The only issue was that the HVAC system was a bit loud while we were sleeping. Otherwise, the hotel is very quiet and in a quiet setting.

We enjoyed the free breakfast in the lobby in the morning. It was very well-stocked, and an attendant was constantly refilling things. My only complaint would be that some items were a little cold, such as the French toast. However, the selection was generally good. There was French toast, two breakfast sandwiches to choose from, oatmeal, and lots of cold options. The little smoothie ‘shots’ that they offer are tasty as well. There was also a sign indicating that some hot food is available during the week at night.

All in all, I do recommend the Element Lexington. I had a positive experience here in the past, and I enjoyed it even more this time. It is fresh and clean, and the eco-friendly theme is never a bad thing. I would be a little careful with making sure the location is ok for where you need to be. It is a little isolated. Otherwise, I won’t hesitate to stay here next time I am in the area.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
maryana m, Manager at Element Lexington, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
Welcome mrg0137,

Much gratitude for your review! You could be a promoter for our hotels. thank you for your detailed evaluation of our property and for noticing our committment and passion for making Element be an experience that is exceptional from beginning to end.

We hope to see you again,
Live life aloft and live well

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

The element Lexington is a great place to stay! It is right off I-95, so very easy to find, but not at all noisy. The hotel staff is warm and friendly...especially Sheena!! The rooms are clean, comfortable and well-appointed whether you stay in a deluxe, studio or 1-bedroom. The complimentary breakfast is yummy and healthy! This visit, we stayed in a 1-bedroom. The kitchenette is helpful as it's stocked with lots of things to help you enjoy a nice meal. The beds are uber comfy and the electronics hookups are very convenient if you want to hook up your laptop or ipod and enjoy a movie or some music.

We've stayed at the element a few times a year literally since the first weekend they opened. As more and more people discover what was once our little secret spot, it's become increasingly difficult to find parking near the entrance! But I won't begrudge them this since everything else is so wonderful and I suppose I shouldn't be selfish :-)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Missette03
Welcome Missette03,

Thank you for your kind words! We appreciate that you stay with us when you come to Lexington. By the way, the amazingly comfortable bed that you were sleeping on is the Signature Westin Bed called The Heavenly Bed, that you can even purchase online for your home.

Also, we wouldn't mind it if you share your secret of a great hotel in Lexington called Element with others!

Hope to see you again soon,
live life aloft and live well
Southeastern Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

Spent a night in a studio suite at the Element in Lexington and we were impressed with the entire green concept of the hotel. The studio was spacious and also comes with a full kitchen if needed. A fitness center and an indoor salt water pool were available at the hotel and we made use of both.

A full breakfast is included in the stay and the selection was above average. Breakfast sandwiches, cereals, fresh fruit, yogurt, pancakes, muffins, juices coffee were fresh and tasty.

The Westin has hit a home run with the Element concept and I will seek out there green hotels in future stays.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Welcome TravelingtheUS,

Thank you for your tripadvisor review of our property and for recognizing our passion for being environmentally friendly and including sustainability efforts in everything we do. Element Lexington is actually the first 100% Lead certified Hotel built in the United States. Just this month, an Element was built in Miami so if you want to escape the New England weather for some sun, travel to Miami to have the same green experience there! However, please return and stay with us again after your trip.

Live life aloft and live well
Ringwood, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel quite a few times in the last few years and every time we have found the staff incredibly friendly and accommodating. When we were here over the Christmas week, we had some friends and family visit us at the hotel. We brought in lunch and were able to hang out in the main lobby and had a wonderful time. The staff was so helpful in getting us napkins and silverware and just generally being there for anything we needed. It is also great to have a pet friendly hotel that doesn't charge extra for the pet (they've even had gift doggie bags for our pup on some occasions).
Sometimes the noise from the other guests can be a bit distracting, but overall this hotel is a great value for families with children and pets.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2012

This has become our only place to stay when we visit Boston. We tried the Aloft across the lot, but this just fit our family better. Rooms are spacious and well designed and maintained from what we could see. We tend to clean everything ourselves when we get to any hotel as an extra safety layer, but things always appear to be taken care of when we get there.

Breakfast has always been great. It can be a little noisy and hectic with limited seating depending on when you go, but the food choices are always excellent and plentiful. We have never been there when they do the free food and drinks during the week so I cannot comment on that.

Free printing is a plus. You can print from the computers in the lobby or use http://printme.com As a note, PDFs tend to print slowly from printme and will tie up other people.

The pool is awesome. Nothing much to say there. If you're staying in the summer, be sure to check out the patio area. There is a large grill that anybody can use. Just ask the hotel and they will light it for you.

In room kitchens are a huge help. Instead of eating at expensive restaurants, we tended to buy fresh pasta and sauce from Boston's North End and cook it ourselves back at the room. Huge money saver. The dishwashers are extremely quiet as well. Sometimes the hallways will smell a little funky because of other peoples' cooking, but the smell has never seemed to work its way into our room.

Staff have always been friendly on the phone and in person. I actually called them the other night around 11 PM inquiring about rates and it was as pleasant a conversation as it would have been in the normal hours of the day.

As another money saving tip, the hotel is very close to public transportation into Boston. If you have a car there's a 10 minute drive to Alewife station where you can park for $7 a day (vs however much you would pay in the city at a hotel or a lot). On weekends the hotel shuttle will go to the station as well. If you don't have a car, there is a bus stop right on the road outside the hotel for bus number 70 which goes to Alewife. A short subway ride will get you right into the heart of the city.

The only noticeable con so far is some of the noise from other rooms, something that happened multiple times. One time it sounded like the people above us were hammering their floor or repeatedly dropping their luggage around midnight. Not sure what that was about.

Room Tip: Try and get the top floor if you can.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Drew S
New England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

We booked two rooms for New Years Eve: one for our family of four (two kids, 12 and 9) and one for our friend's family (two kids, both 11). We had some ups and downs during our stay here. The first "down" was that we had to wait an hour and 45 minutes to check into our room because it wasn't ready--housekeeping was still cleaning it. Fortunately our friends' room was ready so we could drop our stuff off in their room, change into swimsuits and while away the time in the pool. Their room had dirty dishes in it so we had to quickly run a load in the dishwasher which on some level is no big deal but on another level, who wants to see someone else's dirty dishes? This was our second "down."

The ups were: full kitchen (minus an oven), small but nice and very warm pool (no hot tub), fairly spacious rooms, and a friendly staff, who offered us some small compensation to make amends for our late check in.

Later in the evening, the four kids got stuck in one of the rooms because the deadbolt was stuck in the door jamb. ("Downer" number three.) They sent up a fixit guy who was able to open the room and who cautioned us not to use it any more. He would fix it the next day, after we checked out. He then brought the kids some M&Ms and a bottle of Sprite to help them feel better, a nice touch. Given the late checkin and the deadbolt fiasco, the friendly staff upped the compensation to a free night's stay, which we really appreciated.

Other nice parts of the hotel: it is quiet. I did not hear another guest while I was in our rooms, and there were other families staying on our floor with infants and toddlers (this was NY Eve, after all, when families like to go to a hotel for the night). They have a friendly pet policy, though two floors are pet-free for people who're allergic. They provide a very nice breakfast, free Wii games (many of them, not just a a few), a small but very nice fitness room, free WiFi, and access to a couple of desktop computers in the lobby. Our rooms were clean as was the rest of the hotel (hallways, lobby, pool, fitness center, etc.). The parking is free and plentiful, and the location (at the intersection of Rtes 128 and 2A) is very convenient to any high-tech companies in the area or visiting the Revolutionary War tourist spots in Lexington and Concord.

The last thing I want to comment on is their "green" approach. I wish other hotels would adopt this hotel's policies. I like the shower gel and shampoo dispensers in the shower--no more little bottles of shampoo crowding the countertop and filling up our landfills. Their dual-flush toilets and the low-flow but good pressure shower heads save precious water. They give preferential parking to hybrid cars. The water filter at the kitchen sink eliminates those annoying plastic water bottles. These things all add up to responsible business practices that our family embraces. But best of all, these green practices contribute to a nice stay at a decent hotel.

Room Tip: Floors three and four are pet-free.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2011

The hotel had a great feel to it. The rooms were clean and there was a kitchenette in the room. The bathrooms were nice and modern. Breakfast was included in our stay and that was a nice treat. The staff was very friendly. My kids loved the small pool, it was very hot. I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lexington
Aloft Lexington
#2 of 3 in Concord
BEST WESTERN at Historic Concord
HYATT house Boston/Burlington
Sonesta ES Suites Burlington

Been to Element Lexington? Share your experiences!