“Fantastic lodging & clerks- poor follow through and security” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aloft Lexington

Aloft Lexington
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Lexington
romeny
“Fantastic lodging & clerks- poor follow through and security”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2009

My wife and I loved our stay at the Aloft Lexington. The rooms are ultra modern and en vogue. The clerks were extremely friendly and helpful. We thought there would be nothing negative at all. Then the bottoms to my sleepware disappeared. We figured that it had gotten thrown into the dirty towels by mistake. I informed the front desk. They told me they would inform housekeeping and let me know. No one called back. When I went to check out, I figured that someone would brief me as to what was taking place to find them. No one mentioned anything. The new desk clerk (standing beside the one going home) knew nothing of the "shorty pajama bottom incident" (and believe me, my wife and I had many chuckles over the "lost" item), but she took down my home phone number and told me I would definitely get a call from them after they had gotten in touch with housekeeping. There was no call waiting when we reached home, nor has there been one now. In my estimation, even though there is a safe, Aloft employees should take more importance when something becomes missing. After all, it didn't walk out the door on its own. Also, when they say they'll call back, that is exactly what they should do.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Korean first
Boothbay, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2009

I stayed at the Aloft Hotel in Lexington on a weekend night. Apparently, this is when you can get the best deal on room rates. At $89 per night, it is by far the cheapest stay close to Boston. The location is fantastic, right off of Rt. 95, and adjacent to the Minute Man National Park, and the hotel even has a short walking path through the woods to access the park! There is a fairly long driveway to enter the hotel, which makes it seem islolated and quiet, even though it is in reality quite close to the highway. Be aware that the hotel sign is small and set back from the road, so it is very easy to miss! The theme is "ultra modern", and sparse. Think Ikea... There are "Fun" touches everywhere: like a mat in the elvator that changes color as you step on it, updated piped in music, a great outdoor patio with a gas fireplace, and a large, HD, flat screen T.V. in the rooms. The rooms are spartan, but comfortable, with everything built in or attached to a wall. The best feature is the cleanliness. The room smelled clean, which is really important to me. I love the fact that there is a mini-fridge in each room, and an in-room coffee maker. A breakfast buffet is put out at 7:00 a.m., and while not free, it is inexpensive. I paid $4.50 for a tall cup of coffee and a gourmet muffin (chocolate-orange with cream cheese). Other reviews mention noisy hallways, so I asked for a room far from the elevator, and I did not hear a sound all night! I will stay here again, even when I could afford a more expensive hotel. No need to pay more when this hotel is that good!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Walnut Creek, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2009

great design, friendly staff, free wifi, large flatscreen tv, refrigerator in room, welcomed our little dog. Would have given 5 stars instead of 4 if breakfast were provided.
:-)

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2009

The choice of rooms are amazing, as long as you like the Aloft Rooms (only difference is one or two beds). I booked the single (King size) but did see a double bed when the cleaning crew swung by. The room is a little on the small side with no drawers as many have said in other reviews. The gym is great, they provide spring water (with cups for those that do not have water bottles - but there is a single bottle in the room) and extra headsets for the cardio machines (if you do not want to dirty your white IPod ones while you do your stuff in the gym. The pool area is nice, with a big enough washroom to change (if you really needed to as it is right beside the elevator). A tucked in corner for a shower to rinse yourself off after your quick splash around in the pool (white fluffy towels are provided here also.)

As for the room, the bed is AMAZING! or maybe I was just very tired and didn't notice all the footsteps outside the room (you do hear the kids running up and down the hallway if there are kids in other rooms). The showers are HUGE with the soap and shampoo in a wall dispenser (thank god for no more little bottles that you have to ration out if more than 1 person). The only complaint would be the body lotion is too small, but the face wash is great (same sized mind you - they must think we have very dirty faces).

The hotel is nice and good for the younger crowd or DINKS, the Element accross the way would be much more suitable for families but then that is another review to be written.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2009

Booked 3 nights in the hotel (extended to 4 nights). Hotel is very appealing visually, very new and modern with everything in working order. Booked through hotwire.com and got a great rate ($83/night). The room is nicely appointed, Internet is free, wired and works great. The room is a little on the small side. It has a nice 37" LCD TV and a media center (to plug in your iPod). It lacks a lounge chair or couch but does have a cushioned bench. The bathroom is very modern with only a shower. The water is hot and the pressure is great. The show head is very high up (I'm just under 6' and I can barely reach it). The room is very clean, quiet, comfortable and very well maintained.

Overall, I like this hotel - but they do some things that I could live without. Local/toll free phone calls are $1.50 each. There is no dresser/chest of drawers in the room so you have to place your laundry under on a shelf in the closet. There are only hangars for 5 articles of clothing (because there is no closet, just a cabinet about 12" deep with an arm at the top center pointing toward you.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank lkaToronto
Arlington, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2009

We came for a fun night out of the house with our kids, ages 6 and 9.
The entire hotel is new and clean, with loft-inspired modern furnishings and decor. This doesn't sound like a big deal, but it makes the hotel feel significantly different from similar-level hotels, and from our point of view improves the experience.
Service was friendly and excellent, including a hearty welcome at checkin with goodie bags for the kids and late checkout was approved with a smile when I requested.
The room was large with high ceilings, with comfortable, cozy beds, big-screen LCD TV, nice big shower, lots of natural light, and pleasant, modern decor. My wife would have liked a bathtub, but it wasn't a big deal.
Location is convenient to Boston, just off 128/95.
Pool was very nice, good medium temperature in a warm pool room. Workout room was good, with a variety of cardio machines, one multi-purpose cable resistance machine, and freeweights. Lobby/Lounge/Bar area was comfy and roomy, with lots of different places to sit, eat, lounge, etc. It was the kind of place you felt like spending time in, and we did, with pool table (free), boardgames, coffee table books, and a (gas) fireplace. As in the rooms, decor was funky and cool, but still comfortable and accessible. The little shop had basic toiletries etc, and a nice selection of simple food: coffee and fresh-baked pastries, simple sandwiches, but also cereal, juice (plain and high-end) and egg sandwiches in the AM. Like a high-end convenience store, not just junk food.
Free WiFi throughout the building worked easily with a room-number login.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and my son asked if we could try to find an Aloft wherever we go to stay in a hotel. I agreed.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Johan d
San Jose CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2009

I chose Aloft Lexington as the place to stay while visiting family in Concord a few miles away. The hotel is 6 months old, and very clean, sleek and modern. The staff was very friendly and helpful,and they always greeted us with an Aloha, which I never did figure out--what does Aloha have to do with Massachussets?

The best things about the hotel are the gym, which was small but was as nice as any I've seen in a hotel, the huge plasma hotel in the room, and the decor, which was very spare and linear. Our room was down by the end of the hall, well away from the lounge, so it was very quiet. There was a room safe, which is always a plus. The coffee machine in the lobby made a great cappachino, and the one muffin I ate there was also very good--all extra, but there is a room coffee machine as well if you don't want to spring for the better, more costly alternative. With the promotion that I found on their web site, it ended up being a truly great deal as well.

But there were some issues. The room's water was lukewarm, and it needed two maintenance visits to get it right. The room is tiny, just no getting around it. There are shelves in the room/sink area, but not even one drawer, and that makes a messy situation for somone like me who actually unpacks. The HVAC/heater was noisy and sometimes disrupted my sleep. They ask you to re-use towels, but they don't supply hooks for you to hang them on so they can dry between uses. But my worst issue was with the darn lower sheet. They don't use a fitted bottom sheet (why not? I stayed in the Sheraton Stamford right after I left the aloft, another Starwood property, and they had fitted bottom sheets--). The bottom sheet on the otherwise comfortable bed kept slipping and sliding and taking the mattress pad (also not fitted) with it, and this made sleeping really difficult for me.

Bottom line is that I got a great deal at a nice clean friendly hotel with lots of amenities that I liked, but though I recommend it and would consider staying there again, I want to be clear that there are issues with it.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SJtravellers
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lexington
Element Lexington
Concord's Colonial Inn
#2 of 3 in Concord
Embassy Suites by Hilton Boston / Waltham
The Westin Waltham-Boston

Been to Aloft Lexington? Share your experiences!