My girlfriends and I take a spa holiday each June. This year we wanted to stay close to home and decided on Cranwell. Having heard rave reviews, I was so so excited to experience this resort and spa.
The location doesn't disappoint! Lenox, MA is so beautiful, the mountains are tranquil and when you drive up to the hotel, the older buildings are gorgeous. We stayed in one of the newer townhouse style villas near the spa and had a king room, living area, kitchenette, bath and patio. This is where my impression changed.
The good - flat screen TV's in the living area and bedroom, plush bathrobes in the closet, good toiletry selection in the bathroom (with cotton balls and Q-Tips - nice (expected) touch).
The not so good - The furnishings - I travel frequently for business and have seen nicer furnishings in much lesser rated hotels. For $444/night, I expected luxury and got less than average. The carpet was pretty well stained, the living room couch was institutional, the bathroom had hair on the floor (that was not mine), and overall the unit appeared grungy and had poor lighting. The patio view (which would have been a lovely one of the rolling hills of the Berkshires) was obstructed by the new construction, cookie-cutter looking golf homes that surround the perimeter of the resort. The outside pool was ok, had nice chaise lounges and an attentive staff. However, (again) the view was obstructed by both the motel-like white fence that surrounded the pool area and the new construction homes.
The spa - The staff was very friendly and attentive, the spa and treatment rooms were clean and well stocked. I booked a deep tissue massage and spa pedicure. Overall, I found the offerings limited in comparison to other spa's I've been to and relative to how this hotel rates itself as a top spa resort. My massage therapist was a very sweet young girl. She did a good job and frequently checked to see how the pressure was. Here's the thing - I am an athletic woman - 5'4'', 135 lbs. - the massage pressure was a little light, when I told her more pressure would be nice, I felt her arms shaking. I realized then that she was giving all she could and that I should just relax and enjoy my more swedish-esque massage. No fault of hers! The pedi was fine - nothing Earth shattering and certainly not worth $50. The best thing about the pedi was the selection of Butter polishes. The spa overall was more crowded than I would have liked. There was a NY wedding going on the weekend we were there along with some less than tranquil guests who knew not what the "quiet room" was for. One even had her cell phone ringing and was talking on it! I would have expected the staff to address those issues for the comfort of the non-wedding guests.
Overall, I really wanted to love this place but was so disappointed by it. The spa is ok as a day spa, but services are too limited to really be considered a spa getaway. Maybe the rooms in the main hotel are nicer, cleaner - but if they aren't cheaper, I'd find somewhere else to go!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perched high on a hilltop in Lenox, MA, Cranwell Resort, Spa and Golf Club offers spectacular views for every season. Enjoy one of the largest spas in the Northeast along with elegant accommodations, fine dining, outstanding amenities and exceptional service. Whether your visit is for a weekend getaway, business meeting or stylish wedding or event, Cranwell Resort, Spa and Golf Club offers the ultimate resort experience on 380-acres snuggled in the heart of the Berkshires. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HotelsforEveryone, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, TravelClick, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cranwell Resort, Spa & Golf Club Hotel Lenox
- Cranwell Resort, Spa And Golf Club
- Cranwell Hotel Lenox
- Cranwell Resort Lenox
- Cranwell Resort Anbd Spa Lenox