“Disappointing.....Save your money.”

Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Lenox
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 12, 2010

My girlfriends and I take a spa holiday each June. This year we wanted to stay close to home and decided on Cranwell. Having heard rave reviews, I was so so excited to experience this resort and spa.

The location doesn't disappoint! Lenox, MA is so beautiful, the mountains are tranquil and when you drive up to the hotel, the older buildings are gorgeous. We stayed in one of the newer townhouse style villas near the spa and had a king room, living area, kitchenette, bath and patio. This is where my impression changed.

The good - flat screen TV's in the living area and bedroom, plush bathrobes in the closet, good toiletry selection in the bathroom (with cotton balls and Q-Tips - nice (expected) touch).

The not so good - The furnishings - I travel frequently for business and have seen nicer furnishings in much lesser rated hotels. For $444/night, I expected luxury and got less than average. The carpet was pretty well stained, the living room couch was institutional, the bathroom had hair on the floor (that was not mine), and overall the unit appeared grungy and had poor lighting. The patio view (which would have been a lovely one of the rolling hills of the Berkshires) was obstructed by the new construction, cookie-cutter looking golf homes that surround the perimeter of the resort. The outside pool was ok, had nice chaise lounges and an attentive staff. However, (again) the view was obstructed by both the motel-like white fence that surrounded the pool area and the new construction homes.

The spa - The staff was very friendly and attentive, the spa and treatment rooms were clean and well stocked. I booked a deep tissue massage and spa pedicure. Overall, I found the offerings limited in comparison to other spa's I've been to and relative to how this hotel rates itself as a top spa resort. My massage therapist was a very sweet young girl. She did a good job and frequently checked to see how the pressure was. Here's the thing - I am an athletic woman - 5'4'', 135 lbs. - the massage pressure was a little light, when I told her more pressure would be nice, I felt her arms shaking. I realized then that she was giving all she could and that I should just relax and enjoy my more swedish-esque massage. No fault of hers! The pedi was fine - nothing Earth shattering and certainly not worth $50. The best thing about the pedi was the selection of Butter polishes. The spa overall was more crowded than I would have liked. There was a NY wedding going on the weekend we were there along with some less than tranquil guests who knew not what the "quiet room" was for. One even had her cell phone ringing and was talking on it! I would have expected the staff to address those issues for the comfort of the non-wedding guests.

Overall, I really wanted to love this place but was so disappointed by it. The spa is ok as a day spa, but services are too limited to really be considered a spa getaway. Maybe the rooms in the main hotel are nicer, cleaner - but if they aren't cheaper, I'd find somewhere else to go!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank MichelleD_31
CranwellMktg, Marketing Manager at Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We are sorry you and your girlfriends had an experience that did not meet your expectations. We continuously update guest accommodations to maintain our facilities and will take your comments into consideration. We hope to host your next visit to the Berkshires and would be happy to suggest other accommodations on property that might be better suited to your individual needs.

Reviewed June 8, 2010

We wanted a facility for a day and a half meeting with our clients. We also wanted to provide an atmosphere where they would feel comfortable getting to know one another and enjoying themselves. Cranwell was the perfect fit. Meeting room was quiet, clean, comfortable and well set up. They were very accommodating when one of our pieces of equipment was out of batteries. It was an unusual battery size and without even blinking they went offsite and got the battery replacement. Food was great, rooms were very comfortable and our guests loved the golf course. Highly recommend this facility for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 7, 2010

I recommend NOT going to this resort. I had to cancel my upcoming plans and the snotty reservations agent informed me that I would be charged $25 for cancelling. Even though I cancelled weeks in advance of the reservation...

In this economy, it is absolutely ludicrous to make-up ridiculous charges. Doesn't Cranwell realize that I will never want to go to this resort in the future because of such a petty practice? They just lost a customer/fan over $25. What a ridiculous price to pay when customer loyalty is at a premium for any resort.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
CranwellMktg, Marketing Manager at Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2010

We are sorry you are upset about our Cancellation Policy. Such policies are common practice in the hotel industry and we do notify guests of the policy in advance of taking a reservation. The policy is stated in writing on our website, listed two times on our Online Reservation System, and in both our printed and electronic confirmation letters. Additionally, our phone reservationists verbally explain the policy. We charge the fee to cover the administrative costs to process your reservation, which include the time of our reservations staff, applicable credit card fees, printing and stationary expenses. We would be happy to apply this fee toward your next overnight stay with us. We do value your loyalty and hope you will reconsider visiting our resort in the future.

Reviewed June 6, 2010

My girlfriends and I booked a weekend at the Cranwell in order to have a relaxing fun filled weekend at a luxurious hotel and spa. Well, the joke was on us. We knew right away when we walked by the motel style pool complete with blue painted asphalt surround and a beaten up picket fence that our weekend was going to be anything but luxurious.

Our rooms were located in the off- site mini condo style buildings right near the spa. For $440.00 per night we were appalled. The room looked like a cheap beach house rental that you would crash in with a bunch of friends when you were young and broke- not a $440.00/night room. In addition to the outdated furnishings and incredibly uncomfortable pull out sleeper sofa, the towels and sheets were as rough as sandpaper.

When we went to the spa for our services, we were greeted by a very nice employee (all of the employees were very lovely) however, upon entering the spa, we realized that there was going to be very little zen happening. It looked incredibly institutional complete with drab colored walls, washed out white tile, depressing lighting, etc. The limited services offered were O.K. -nothing great, but not that bad, which is not acceptable when you check into a resort that bills itself as a top rated, luxury spa. The message that I booked was pleasant-I really liked the message therapist and she knew what she was doing. I also got a spa pedicure. I just have to say that the $25 pedicure I get in Boston beats the one I received at the Cranwell by a landslide. There was absolutely nothing $50 worth that happened to my feet. The room where we had our spa lunch was equally depressing and looked like a geriatric function hall. The spa lunch consisted of cafeteria style food, dried out salmon and a number of other dishes that looked unappealing.

Needless to say, we have decided that our next spa getaway will not be happening at the Cranwell resort and Spa.

One more note...The view from our property would have been wonderful had it not been obstructed by the new construction housing community built all along the perimeter of the property.

Overall, I wish we could get our money back. Two thumbs down.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank BostonSpaseeker

Reviewed June 3, 2010

The Cranwell Resort and Spa has always provided us with an exceptional stay. The staff is very friendly and accommodating -- always seeking to make things better. The grounds are beautiful and the rooms are complete with all of the amenities.

The chef, Al, who is superb at the Sunday brunch, will be leaving soon. If you want an incredible omelet made, with a friendly smile, go visit now!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 30, 2010

Stayed at Cranwell as birthday present from my girlfriend. Although nice, seemed to miss a few things around the edges. Room was nice and large, but nothing special. Golf course the same, nice but a little rough around the edges. Spa was great, but pretty booked full due to weddings (which seem to happen alot). Breafast was good, but dinner was overpriced and not that great and the room looked like it was out of the 50's and catered to an older crowd.

All in all an ok place, but not worth the money we paid.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
CranwellMktg, Marketing Manager at Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2010

We are sorry we did not meet your expectations and greatly appreciate your feedback. We are continuously updating the furnishings in our guest accommodations, as well as making golf course enhancements to improve our guest experience. In fact, we completed an extensive refurbishment of our guest rooms on May 25th of this year. We're pleased to know that you enjoyed your experience at the Spa at Cranwell. It is quite popular on weekends with all guest types; leisure visitors, weddings, and golfers, to name a few. We have shared your comments about dinner with our Executive Chef so that he may look into the matter. We do hope to host your next visit to the Berkshires and wish you a very Happy Birthday.

Reviewed May 25, 2010

We stayed at this hotel due to a gift certificate from a family member. What a wonderful surprise to find this magnificent jewel nestled in the Berkshires. Although we could not stay in the mansion, our room in Olmsted Manor was large, clean and beautifully appointed. Our special dinner in the Wyndhurst Dining Room was top quality and prepared to perfection. I would definitely recommend the Cranwell for a get-a-way that is a welcome respite from the mundane of daily living. Whether you play golf, or not, (we do not) the grounds, spa and pool are still worth the stay.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
The Red Lion Inn
Blantyre
#6 of 16 in Lenox
Hampton Inn & Suites Berkshires-Lenox
Courtyard Marriott Lenox Berkshires

Been to Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!