All reviewssloane's tavernquiet roomplay golfcapitol stepsindoor poolbeautiful resortsteam roomdriving rangedifferent buildingscarriage housethe cottagesfitness centerthe main dining roomno elevatorgirls weekendmusic roomfine dining
Reviewed March 7, 2015

Firstly, I am not associated with the Cranwell and I am not benefitting from posting about how great my experience was. I normally do not take the time to review on trip advisor, but my stay at the Cranwell, including my dining experience at the Wyndhurst Room and treatments received at the spa were fantastic. Going during this time of year, (Early March), must make all the difference. Tucked away in Lenox, the Cranwell was peaceful and certainly a retreat from my stressful work schedule. From the moment we arrived, Ron, the bellman was right there to drive us to our room from the main check in building, although the heated indoor walkway makes it so one never has to go out doors if he does not want to. The room was very very clean and the building we were in, The Founders, was quite charming. Dinner at the Wyndhurst room was excellent. Pascal, the French maitre-d who seated us and checking in on how our meal was going was a real professional who elevated the dining experience entirely. It felt as though we were the only ones there! And the spa...what a place. I had a pedicure and a foot massage (best money I ever spent) Not only are the staff well versed in their craft, but they actually smile and enjoy their jobs. Please give the Cranwell a try. It is a place unique entirely to itself and its definitely a must see on any visitor's or local's Berkshire bucket list.

• Stayed: March 2015, traveled with friends
Norma_Probst, Public Relations Manager at Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2015

Thank you for your gracious and thorough review of your recent stay at Cranwell. We love hearing such nice descriptions about what we call “the serenity season” at our resort. The staff you encountered will surely be delighted with your acknowledgements. Thanks so much and please come see us again soon.

Reviewed March 6, 2015 via mobile

Third rate 'resort' made me wish for home to recover from the stress and misery.

Throughout the various buildings, the heating system lacks thermostats. Pick your poison: on or off, 85 degrees or 55 degrees when you wake up. Either way, get ready to not get any quality sleep.

The food was atrocious, sometimes inedible other times just disgusting. I have never seen so many different people not just refuse out of basic taste, but physically unable despite hunger, to eat the food.

The only bright spot, and I do mean only, is the 'cook' (he's no chef) is a stellar cook of red meat. Lamb, steak, all phenomenal. But literally every other item including fish is among the worst ever experienced--getting delivery of stale fast food would be a net upgrade to the food situation here. If you find yourself trapped here by some mistake or corporate event or group outing selected in poor taste, stick with the red meat.

Stayed: January 2015, traveled on business
4  Thank A L

We apologize that your recent experience at Cranwell was dissatisfying. We host many conferences and retreats of all sizes and can assure you that your experience is not in keeping with the quality of our food and service. We will definitely pursue what happened during your event and look to correct it. Thanks for taking the time to tell us about it.

Reviewed March 5, 2015

I've stayed at this resort several times and i absolutely love it - am heading there again in a few weeks as a matter of fact. It's luxurious without being stuffy. The staff is super friendly and helpful. The spa is first rate - I've had facials and massages and loved every one of them. Even though this place is quite romantic, I've gone with girlfriends and we can't get enough of it. We have an annual getaway the first weekend of Spring and each year we contemplate trying somewhere new but end up at Cranwell...and never regret it.

we have a routine: shop at the Lee outlets, spend time at the spa, champagne in the hot tub (we do this on the sly), have dinner in Lenox (usually Bistro Zinc - a reliable favorite). In the morning we drink coffee in the room then head to The Haven for brunch (not to be missed - seriously). Then we spend time in Lenox or on the resort grounds, biding time until the spa's afternoon yoga class, followed by a fantastic burger at Sloane's Tavern (incredible food and drinks - try the nor'easter if you're there in the winter!).

It's not cheap, but I always feel like I've gotten my money's worth - and if you sign up for their emails you can get some deals. I've never been in the summer, but it's on my list of things to do in the near future. LOVE Cranwell...

Room Tip: If you plan to use the spa, you might want a room in a building attached to the spa. I've stayed in a different room each time - all great. my favorite: top floor of the mansion (though it's not attached to the spa and there's no elevator BUT there's a bar and restaurant on the first floor and our room had a fireplace); my least favorite: the cottages (not for any particular reason...).
  • Stayed: January 2015, traveled with friends

We’re definitely feeling the love with your great review! Your feedback on all there is to do at Cranwell and around the area is spot on and we appreciate your taking the time to share all the details (even the champagne on the sly). We enjoy knowing that you feel Cranwell is right for different travel experiences. Have fun on your next getaway this Spring.

Reviewed March 4, 2015 via mobile

As I tried to organize my thoughts on all the wonderful things I want to say about Cranwell, I ultimately came down to thinking, oh, just tell folks to book a winter stay and go!

The mansion is historic and grand. Drinks by the fireplace. Gourmet food, and a great wine list with some well priced Italian gems. Beautiful rooms with all the amenities you want for biz travel. And views of the grounds and Berkshires that are truly beautiful.

Stayed: March 2015, traveled on business

You have described the beauty of winter at Cranwell Resort in a nutshell. Thanks for the great review and we’ll pass all your wonderful comments along to the staff.

Reviewed March 2, 2015

We booked a room here hoping for the best. We were not disappointed. During check in the young lady asked how our drive was and she was truly honest. We knew right off that these people were happy to be there and that our stay would be handled with sincerity. Our room was beautiful and very, very clean. Bed linens and bath towels were of very nice quality. Walk to the pool/spa area is enclosed and warm. Our way was through a tunnel that was brightly lighted ait hand painted scenery on the walls. Attention to detail with the painting was great with the handrail being incorporated into the scene. Pool/spa area is without question....first class. Men's & womens locker rooms are spotless and again robes,towels, tolitries are supplied. We enjoyed a breakfast buffet on Sunday morning and before we knew it or wanted it....time had come to leave. We will certainly visit again. I could go on and on but instead....treat yourself and stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor
  • Stayed: March 2015, traveled as a couple