“Return customer this year...not so sure about 2014.”

Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Lenox
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Return customer this year...not so sure about 2014.”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

My wife and I first visited CRANWELL July 2012 as we attended several performances at Tanglewood. Awesome experience that encouraged me to come back this year (2-6 August). Everything in 2012 was great but on our return visit it became quickly apparent that something was amiss. The CRANWELL brand soaps, shampoo, conditioner, and lotions had have been replaced by some unknown brand that I would expect to see in a Dollar General store. In the spa, fitness, and rooms it is quite evident that upkeep maintenance is not being performed.

Our interactions with the staff throughout the property was excellent with the lone exception of the Mansion event staff on Sunday. I noted that the temperature setting in the Grand Board Room was set at 60 and it was cold in the room (not in use at the time nor did it appear that it was going to be used Sunday). I passed this observation onto the staff and not only did they not thank me their body language indicated that my input was not desired (they literally said nothing to me).

I still think CRANWELL is a destination that one should put on their schedule to enjoy. I just hope that feedback like mine will motivate ownership/management to evaluate their current operating policies.

Room Tip: We stayed in the the Carriage House in 2012 and the Olmstead in 2013. Carriage House is far better...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rich T
Carl P, General Manager at Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
So glad to have you back with us and that you found the staff to be exceptional throughout the property. The concern with the one staff person would certainly standout among all the others. I'm sorry that you missed the in room soaps of the past but the upgrade was to have a product with fewer unnecessary chemical additives, making them a better product for both you and the environment. I do hope you read this response so you have an understanding that there maybe a few more changes when you return but I can assure you they are well thought out and very intentional. See you next year!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Bulverde, Texas, United States
Reviewed August 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed here two nights. The room was in the Carriage House and it was huge. It would be perfect for a family. The grounds were immaculate and everyone was friendly and helpful. We ate at Sloane's Tavern and the Lounge and enjoyed both immensely. We received a free paper every day and loved the Keurig in our rooms. Everything is within easy walking distance on the grounds and we loved exploring.

While this place is really easy to find, during the day it's a little noisy. I was expecting more or a quiet setting but it's on a main road. Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful and lovely but you can hear cars on the highway at the entrance all day.

Room Tip: room 317 in the Carriage House is very large with two queen beds. It's perfect for a family of f...
Rockport, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I have been to Cranwell at least 40 times in the past and the past few months there have been significant changes for the worst. It is still a beautiful resort so there are things they really cannot change overnight - like the structures and the beds. ANYTHING, it seems, they could cut back on they have - the quality and quantity of food and drink, complimentary newspapers, landscaping, complimtary soaps and shampoo. If you run a Super 8 you go the economy route...you dont do that with Cranwell and increase pricing in the meanwhile.

And even the staff is not the same. For years, every person I came in contact with had a smile and a Hello. I walked in the mansion and the doorman was glaring at me like some bouncer at a Boston nightclub...and he did this twice in 2 days. I wonder what Zagots rating is going to be the next time around...and if you havent been there before you may not notice. But many regulars - including guests and many employees are concerned as to where Cranwell is going.

Green Features: I think its a sham to save money by using cheap products and not changing linen as often.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Cheryle V
Carl P, General Manager at Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
I'm of course concerned as a return guest you are finding your experience so different from the past. I'm shocked to hear this and would be more than happy to talk with you directly if would be interested in taking the time for me to address your concerns. What you are experiencing to so out of character I would want to do all I can to ensure this simply doesn't happen in anyway that you are describing. I'm always here and always willing to help in any way that I can.

I'm hoping you are willing to give me a call so we can get things back on track for you!
Maplewood,
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This was our first visit to Cranwell and it truly lived up to its reputation. We arrived early and our room was not ready, but the desk called my cell phone to say that the room was available earlier than we expected. We were staying in the main building and the room was very nice - typical New England setting. There is a small foyer as you enter the room with a sink, Keurig coffee pot, coffee, tea, etc. and other nice amenities. the bathroom was well appointed, very clean with fluffy towels and a magnifying mirror. Although we requested 2 double beds, we were given one king size bed which was very comfortable and had a thick comforter which was perfect for a cool evening
We ate lunch in Sloane''s restaurant at the golf course and the outdoor seating with large umbrellas was perfect. The lobster salad, turkey burger and chicken salad were all enjoyed by all. The resort is located very close to Tanglewood and.the hotel is immaculately clean, welcoming and helpful staff. It will be a pleasure to return

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
New York
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

Have been here before and had enjoyed it. Came for the day to enjoy the spa. After driving in circles to find parking, I made the long trek to the spa. I had been told that there was a cafe at the spa but when I got there they said food needed to be ordered before 10 am and was only served from 12-2. I was told I could have an apple, buy a Luna bar or go to Sloane's Tavern. I proceeded to the locker room but couldn't change my clothes since 2 men were fixing broken lights. After trying 3 lockers, I found one that worked. Many broken lockers had signs on them but many broken lockers didn't so you have to try a few before you find an operational one. I then proceeded to make the journey to Sloane's Tavern. I sat at the counter which was filthy and then moved to a table. I waited a while and no-one came over so I decided to go back to the spa and have an apple. The restroom toilets at the spa were filthy as well. The locker room does have a nice jacuzzi and the indoor pool is nice. I am here on a Wednesday and there aren't any fitness classes scheduled mid day. I hope the spa treatment will be good. I was recently at the Norwich in and found that to be far superior.

Stayed July 2013
1 Thank suegrape
Norma_Probst, Public Relations Manager at Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
We’re sorry that your recent visit had some challenges that you didn’t experience during your previous stay. We are having an extremely busy summer and our parking lots fill quickly, so we apologize that you encountered limited parking. Our Spa Director would be pleased to talk with you regarding your experience there and asks that you contact her directly. We’re confident that we can restore your faith in Cranwell Resort and make this your preferred getaway location.
western ma
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Just returned from weekend at Cranwell Resort. The good: the fitness center-swimmers take note-excellent pool for keeping up with your training. Go in the morning though b/c by afternoon it's overtaken by kids. Fitness classes are offered each day as well. Spinning (Tom) was very good class. There are only a few ellipticals and there is a limit of 30 minutes when people are waiting. I witnessed a fight one morning over a machine. The spa locker room is excellent-sauna, steam, Jacuzzi, showers, robes, etc. I ended up showering there b/c the place was so superior to our tired room. Stoney's Tavern-ate outside. Staff young, a little inexperienced, but overall okay. Food was very good. The bar in the main dining room-small but the bartender was engaging and very pleasant, gave us tips on what to see/do in Lenox. Check-in- The woman who checked us in was very nice and gave us directions, etc. Woman at Capitol Steps box office was very nice and the Concierge was very nice as well. However, I had to go to the front desk one other time, the man (beard) was rude. Ummmm...probably NOT a good idea to put rude people on the front desk. Blah- We were in one of the older buildings that has not been updated. The room was tired and blah. The furnishings reminded me of an old hotel from the 70's. There were a couple of water stains on the ceiling. The doors of the armoire had been taken off in order to fit a larger tv in it. The bathroom was probably awesome in its day, now it just looks tired and old. There are chipped tiles and the grout could use some work. (If they ever decide to redo the bathrooms, they should use the same people that did the fitness center- awesome) The bed was very comfy though and the view of a morning sunrise was terrific. We went into Lenox one day and my husband spied another place. He said, "why didn't we stay there?" It looked like a nice place and we checked it out for dinner that night. (see my other review) Well, turns out next time we go to Lenox, we will be staying there. No more Cranwell for us, there's better places for the same or less money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Carl P, General Manager at Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
I'm very sorry for some "Blah" but thrilled you found so many aspects of your stay to be just what you were looking for. The Spa is a great place to spend your time if you are not out the the golf course; I'm so glad you enjoyed the only pool of it's kind in the Berkshires. We are setting priorities for the fall, following the 18 new rooms brought online last year, including refreshing our guest rooms. We will be here ready to welcome you back with the upgrades you are looking for.

We hope to see you soon!
Miami, FL
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The grounds and accommodations at the Cranwell Resort are truly outstanding. The personnel are well trained and always attentive to guests’ needs. This expands beyond the hotel to the restaurants, pro-shop and spa. If you are looking for a getaway in the Berkshires in which to just relax and unwind, this is the ideal spot. The amenities are outstanding, besides the golf course, tennis courts, fantastic oversized fitness room, fitness classes and spa services, there are two pools. The facility is well located in the central part of the Berkshires; accessibility to all of the cultural events is not difficult. Tanglewood is about a mile and a half away, and Shakespeare and Company is close by. There are several live theatres in Pittsfield (about 15 miles away) as well as Jacob’s Pillow for outstanding international dance.

I highly recommend it if you need accommodations in the Berkshire area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Blantyre
#4 of 16 in Lenox
Wheatleigh
Wheatleigh
#8 of 16 in Lenox

Been to Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!