“Ahhh...”

Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Lenox
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I am not a lover of "quaint", "historic" inns. That usually means, old and musty. This place balances both. It is a historic property with many buildings, offering different types of accomodation options. If you want "historic" stay in the Mansion or Beechers Cottage. If you prefer more modern rooms, the Founders building or Townhouses are great. We wound up here by Accident. We had problems at another property (check my other reviews) so we drove over here and Jessica, the Front Desk Agent on call, took one look at us and knew we deserved and required pity and attention! (She is my new hero!) Lucky for us, she found us a few room options and, after hearing our plight, she suggested the King Townhouse as a "more modern, quiet" option. We were quoted a great rate, even though it is peak season, of $375 night. The service is unparalled - Jessica even called us to make sure we were happy with our room and to see if there was anything else we needed. (Again, we love you Jessica!). The food is good, spa facility and indoor pool is beautiful, and the show Capital Steps should not be missed. We will be staying here again by choice, not accident!

Room Tip: Many buildings, some historic and victorian, others newer and modern. Depends on your preference...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Norma_Probst, Public Relations Manager at Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

We’re delighted that you found us, even if by accident. As travelers approach Lenox on Route 20, it’s hard to miss the beautiful Mansion on the hill overlooking the golf course. We enjoy welcoming visitors like you, who decide this is the place to be. Thanks for all your comments and Jessica was thrilled to know that she helped make your stay special.

There are newer reviews for Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort

Reviewed July 15, 2013

My wife and I were looking forward to our visit to the Cranwell Resort for a full year. We've visited the area annually to visit our daughter in a local summer camp (staying at the Hampton Inn or Crowne Plaza in Pittsfield), and for her final year we made a three-night reservation since at about $500 per night we perceived the Cranwell to be a real treat. While the visit was fine, it just wasn't anything special. Minor issues that customers shouldn't experience at this price point;
- There's a guy who works at the outdoor pool, but the surface of the pool itself was really dirty. The guy sat in the towel shack for the entire time...You would think that he (or someone else) would skim the surface at some point (to be candid, I was tempted to do it myself).
- Upon checking in and asking to confirm that the hotel had our "Stash" Reward program identified, the staff response was "We have someone who checks, but if you don't get credit in a few weeks just call us back."
- The door of our room (146) did not close properly, either due to the wood swelling, or just being off kilter. As such, we had to essentially slam the door every time. I felt bad for the people in the rooms around us.
- The room was serviced after the first day and the tissues were not replaced. Generally it would be no big deal and I'd write it off as just an oversight, but then again on the next day it again wasn't replaced. Had my allergies not kicked up it wouldn't have even been noticed, but there's a lot of nature around (and a musty room), so I just grabbed some tissues which was not a big deal. I hope that they're saving money on the $1 box of tissues.
- We had a 6.30 reservation at the restaurant, which upon arrival we were told that the table would not be available for at least another 30 minutes. We were offered a table at the lounge/bar area which was acceptable, and we were given a free drink which was kind. The hostess did her best to act as our waitress/server while simultaneously balancing her hostess duties.
On a positive note, the grounds are beautiful. For golfers, the course is attractive and the spa appeared to be well run. Sloane's Restaurant is a nice casual place for a quality meal. There are so many strongly-positive reviews about the Cranwell that I've concluded that it's just not right for me, as their following seems genuinely passionate. As far as my experience, I just don't get it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IraBfromCSG
Carl P, General Manager at Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

I guess we can't be all things to all people but we sure try. Your comments certainly are worthy of our attention and they are much appreciated. We are of course thrilled so many have such a wonderful time with us here at Cranwell; we will continue to do all we can to make this a very special place for all our guests. I'm always happy to help with fulfilling every expectation so you find your way back to the Berkshires, I'm here to make it right - for you.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

This was our first stay at the Cranwell and it won't be the last. The accommodations were wonderful, the staff friendly, the food delicious and the golf course excellent! If you are looking for a spot to truly "get away from it all" this is the spot to do it. Plenty of onsite activities that you don't to leave the grounds if you don't want to but enough "quiet spots" to give you some down time if that's what you are looking for. Our suite in the Mansion was fabulous with plenty of room so you don't feel cramped. Because the views of the Berkshire mountains are so awesome, I would imagine that this spot would be beautiful in the fall! Already can't wait for our next visit!

Room Tip: Ask for a suite on the 3rd floor of the Mansion - you won't be disappointed!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Norma_Probst, Public Relations Manager at Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

You’re right…Cranwell Resort is beautiful in the fall. It’s also very special in winter with the surrounding trees and fields blanketed in snow. So hopefully we’ll see year-round. Thanks for your wonderful comments.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

I have been meaning to write a review for a while now. I first stayed at the Cranwell Resort back in January 2013 for an overnight with a friend. I am now on my 3rd over night visit. I really love Cranwell. I have not had a bad experience. All 3 overnight times I have stayed in the Carriage House with friends. Every room we have been in has been so lovely and modern. The beds are very comfortable. The rooms are very roomy and have a great color scheme and modern feel. The bathroom is big with granite countertops. On my last visit there were 4 of us and we had rooms next to each other that were adjoining, which was great for hanging out in the rooms for drinks etc. Cranwell is about 45 minutes away from where I live in NY, and it is just the perfect getaway. I love staying over in the Carriage House because you can walk straight to the spa in an enclosed walkway which is great during winter. The indoor pool is about 60 feet long and heated which is perfect for winter getaways. The indoor pool area never really has been too crowded when I was there. Inside the woman's locker room there is a hot tub, sauna and steam room. The Spa seems to be well-maintained and clean. They provide robes and flip flops to wear There is also a quiet room where you can sit and relax before treatments. You can enjoy tea or water while in the quiet room. The staff has always been nice and friendly. During one of my stays I needed wine glasses and a corkscrew. The staff brought everything I needed promptly. Everything seems very clean and many times I have seen staff vacuuming and cleaning windows. I finally got to enjoy the outdoor pool on my most recent visit. It was great and the temperature was perfect. There are nice big towels available for guests to use and you can order food from Sloane's next door. I have had lunch and dinner at Sloanes. The food is good, but not anything too special. I like sitting out on the patio. I had a sandwich. I had breakfast over in the Mansion. It was good and the view is great looking at the beautiful Berkshire Mountains and Golf-course. There is a breakfast buffet, but I just ordered off the menu. The Music Room is very traditional and a great place to enjoy an evening glass of wine. I was interested in seeing one of the townhouse rentals for the future and the staff was great and took us on a tour to see what the rentals looked like. I haven't had a treatment yet in the Spa, but 2 of my friends have and basically have said that the treatments and staff that do the massages, especially the facials, are excellent and blow away the competition of other places they have been. Cranwell Resort and Spa is a true gem in the Berkshires. You should really go and treat yourself. The grounds are beautiful and great for walking etc. When you leave you will feel relaxed. The other nice thing is that when I can't stay overnight, sometimes I have come on a Saturday and used the facilities, which is a great way to relax for the day after a long week. I hope to stay longer on one of my visits and I already can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jjohnson76

Three visits in 6 months…how wonderful that you have found Cranwell Resort to be the place you return to for a home away from home. Whether for an overnight or day visit, we’re looking forward to seeing you again soon. Our staff was so pleased to read your review. Thank you.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

A stay at the Cranwell is the perfect compliment to a few days in Boston or NYC. After touring and shopping in New York City for several days, the peaceful green and rolling hills in the Berkshires and the lovely grounds of the Cranwell were a treasure. In two nights at the resort I was able to swim in both the indoor and outdoor pools, enjoy happy hour on the patio of the casual Sloane Tavern, and indulge in the elegant dining room of the mansion for a generous Sunday brunch. We made time for some local attractions, but also saved time to enjoy the well maintained and charming settings of the grounds. We stayed in the Beecher cottage where our rooms were comfortable and decorated with tasteful traditional furnishings. The bathrooms were updated and spacious. Small comforts like windows that open with screens and a flashlight in the closet gave us some of the comfort of home while on the road. Service was excellent everywhere we went including the registration desk, the restaurants, the gift shop, and the pool staff. Our family which includes teens and young adults would happily stay at the Cranwell again.

Room Tip: As a historic hotel, all of the buildings and presumably rooms within were very different from each...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Norma_Probst, Public Relations Manager at Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

We’re delighted to know that you and your entire family had such a great stay in the Berkshires. It sounds as if you had a chance to do (and taste) a little of everything, truly the way to enjoy a visit to Cranwell Resort. We appreciate your taking the time to write.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Attended a conference at the Cramwell Resort during days when the weather was extremely uncooperative, however the Management and Staff went above and beyond and beyond that to make people fell comfortable and accomodated. I arrived later at night and was greeted at the Front Desk and arrived at my room that was absolutely beautiful Great windows that look out on the Golf Course - even though it was pouring. The Conference was in the Mansion and it appeared that they don't do that kind of conference in those rooms regularly but the whole staff and management were right there with umbrellas and willing to do whatever it took to make things work. I was greeted so nicely by Stephanie, the Director of HR and she escorted me with umbrella in hand to the entrance and back out again when I left. Tim, the DOS was amazing and ready to do WHATEVER IT TOOK to make me happy and I was. I had a light dinner in Sloane's on the night of arrival and enjoyed it very much. Continental Breakfast in Sloane's the next morning wiht plenty of variety and freshness. Meals during the conference were fabulous, fresh, creative and full of variety. From Oysters & Shrimp, Mediterranean station, Potato station, Hibachi station with great sauces, passed hors d'o including the server with the Tomato Mozz - he made cherry tomatoes with Mozzeralla cheese sound stunning - he knows who he is and desserts to the best smoothies and health bars for the break the following day shortly after a fabulous breakfast feast with stations and passed egg and meat appetizers. Great fruit and drinks and refreshing lunch buffet on the last day.
I called my wife the first night and told her she is going to love this place when we come back and visit at a later time. GREAT JOB EVERYONE - wow forgot to say that the GM was working right along with everyone else the whole time and when he appeared at the opening session on day 2 to welcome us, I felt even better about the property in that he had his sleeves rolled up and was making things happen just like the rest of the staff. I highly recommend having a conference there and just staying here for a nice getaway. The Spa looks beautiful!

Room Tip: I only saw one room but 145 was super!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

We are so pleased that you could appreciate the beauty of a conference at Cranwell Resort despite the weather. We enjoyed hosting the group and you certainly made everyone’s day with your shout out to all the departments. Thank you and I hope you will be bringing tyour wife to the Berkshires soon.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stopped on a whim to see if a room would be available for an evening or two. We were greeted by Jessica at the front desk who simply could not have been kinder, any more friendly, or more professional! She was able to accommodate us in in Suite 304 at a very fair price.

We dropped our luggage in the suite and headed in the rain to the Mansion for a fine-dining experience. We were given a beautiful tour of the mansion and then seated at a very romantic table. The courteousness and welcoming of the staff was superb. The menu had six entrees - two of which were the NY Strip Steak and the Rack of Lamb. We ordered both medium rare along with a bottle of Turnbull Cabernet (delicious!) but unfortunately the steak came out well overcooked and with a sauce that was about flavorous - and the flavor that was there was more flour than peppercorn. They were very apologetic and sent the steak back to re-fire it, (mind you we were two of three two-top tables at this time.) My lamb was cooked correctly but not seasoned and adjoining it on the plate was a very dry, thick, glob of mashed potato, and the largest pile of caramelized pearl onions I have ever seen. It was a family sized serving from a Thanksgiving Table, If I had consumed even a quarter of these onions, it would not have been a very romantic evening :) So the steak takes a solid 15 to 20 minutes to return and again it is overcooked and tastes like charcoal. Unfortunately, she was no longer hungry enough for them to try again and the entree was removed from our bill. I don't think we would try the "fine-dining" restaurant again unless we knew the chef personally, because the person(s) working the kitchen that evening didn't care about the menu, the look of the plates, the quality of the ingredients, or the customer. Now, with that said, the rest of our stay was amazing, The staff throughout the remainder of the property is trained very well and is very nice,

The Spa - great! Duet Massage was superb...with one small caveat that we both noticed and took away from the relaxing experience - squeaking shoes/sneakers as they walked around our bodies on the table, squeak, squeak, squeak. suggest you change footwear or add carpeting.

The men's sauna was not working well on day one, and by day two, it was not operating at all. The steam room was clean and fresh on day one, but on the morning of day two, it was not smelling so clean or fresh.

I know this review is critical and may seem like we would say stay away - but we cannot. The room was peaceful and amazing, the staff is so incredibly friendly that we would return. We just hope that some things will improve.

Room Tip: Ask for Suite 304
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bodyguard55

Your feedback is very valuable to us as we cannot improve without knowing when we haven’t met your expectations. Our Executive Chef will be reaching out to you to review your dining experience during your stay and our Spa Director will look into the sound issue you raised. In all, it sounds like you had a wonderful stay and I’m pleased to know that you would return for a future visit. Thanks again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Berkshires-Lenox
Garden Gables Inn
Garden Gables Inn
#4 of 16 in Lenox

Been to Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!