“Luxury at Cranwell”

Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Lenox
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 1, 2008

We would not typically stay at Cranwell as it's pricey, but during the holidays, all hotels were pricey so we splurged... and were glad we did. Cranwell is a beautiful hotel with many buildings, a fabulous spa and gym, and clean and luxurious rooms. Almost all of the staff was super helpful and nice, the room itself had what you would expect at a high end hotel -- cable TV, plush beds, cd player -- and some nicities that made the stay just that much better, like a toothbrush holder, qtips and cotton balls, and bottled water at turndown. The ski package is a great value, as for just a little more, you get lift tickets and breakfast included. It's also close to the towns of Lenox and Lee which are cute and quaint and good for dining. One note: the rooms have thin walls, so if you're a light sleeper, bring earplugs or your ipod.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed December 29, 2007

My husband and I booked the romance package for one night. Check-in went smoothly and shortly after we arrived at our room 2 men brought in chocolate covered strawberries, grapes, and champagne. We stayed in a king room and it also had a large whirlpool tub and spacious bathroom. Everything was fairly clean, but definitely dated (nothing looked new). The bed was incredibly comfortable.

We ate dinner at the Wynhurst restaurant. 3 courses were included in the romance package, but that doesn't include a 20% gratuity charge, tax, or drinks. Dinner was nice but nothing particularly exceptional. Our waitress messed up my husbands order and couldn't answer most of the questions we asked her about the meals. It was not the type of service I expect when I pay almost $400 a night!

The next day we'd booked an 80 minute hot stone massage which was wonderful! The spa prices are about $2 per minute for massages. It's not cheap, but well worth it. The spa facility is nice but we were very disappointed by the separate mens and womens spa areas. There are separate hot tubs, saunas, etc. The only thing both sexes can use together is the pool.

I was also frustrated by the number of children at the resort. Almost everyone we saw had children with them, including almost every table at dinner at the Wynhurst. That may be due to the fact that it's winter break, but it took away from the "romantic" feel of the place. The pool had tons of screaming kids in it. I thought I was at the Holiday Inn.

Breakfast consisted of a typical buffet with hot and cold foods. It was included in the room price, but tip was extra.

I'm sure at other times of the year it may be a more elegant and romantic destination, but that was not our experience and I doubt we'll go back there again.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Thea1
Reviewed November 4, 2007

I had pretty high expectations for the Cranwell resort even though it had mixed reviews here. the property itself is lovely. from the street coming in it looks like a beautiful mansion. our room was nothing special though and i was disappointed with the spa which was our main purpose for choosing the resort. our room was outdated and not exactly luxurious. we had participated in the fall special for $200 a night, but i would have been more upset if we paid more than that. i have to say that the spa treatments were great and price was reasonable. spa lunch was not good, don't bother. the spa itself has a locker room, whirlpool, suauna and thats it. there was a pool and a small gym but not exactly in the spa section. housekeeping woke us up every morning at 8am wanting to clean our rooms. finally we got smart and put the do not disturb sign on our door. we had breakfast at the mansion in the morning which i thought was overpriced. i think cranwell has potential, but needs some work on the 4-star service and ammenitites.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank sullivee
Reviewed September 5, 2007

We stayed at Cranwell for a wedding, and the first thing we noticed was that the actual property is just beautiful. The old buildings are in good shape, the grounds are well-kept, and Cranwell sits in the heart of the Berkshires.

Our room was in the "Carriage House" building (Room #219) and really spacious. It had four windows that looked out onto a parking lot, but let in lots of natural light. The decor was frilly/floral, but not overpowering. The bathroom had no window and was standard for a hotel.

I swam in the indoor pool and jacuzzi spa (free of charge), and both were completely empty aside from me. The spa staff was polite. They provided towels, a robe, slippers and had a great herbal tea selection.

We had drinks in the Mansion bar one night, and it was a very quiet/stately old bar room. Our brunch on the way out was perfectly fine and standard fruit,sausage,omelettes, etc...

My biggest problem was with the housekeeping of the rooms. Our white bed quilts had unsightly stains on them and were wrinkled as though they are not changed for each visitor. Some of our used towels were replaced with new clean ones after we used them, but some were just hung on the hooks behind the doors.

Overall, the "base material" they have at Cranwell makes it a lovely setting, but I sense that the actual hotel facilities have seen better days.

Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank hotelgirl111
Reviewed August 19, 2007

The Cranwell is a beautiful resort, set on lovely grounds with an extremely pretty golf course.

We stayed in a 'cottage' which consisted of a bedroom, bathroom and living room with kitchenette (which was essentially a sink, crockery, two hobs and a fridge). We were staying four adults in these two rooms (two adults on sofa beds in the living room) so things were fairly crowded but manageable and the rooms were nicely furnished and laid out.

The outdoor pool was very pleasant (if a little too warm) with plentiful sunbeds and a bar at the weekends. The gym was well equipped with some good classes, there were four well kept tennis courts and a very beautiful golf course. My parents played 18 holes and thought it was a fantastic course. While we didn't have any treatments in the spa, the indoor pool is huge, the changing rooms are lovely and there was a sauna and whirlpool which never seemed busy.

Breakfast was a cold buffet ($13.95) or hot buffet ($18.95) which is very reasonable compared to British standards. We only ate in the resort twice - once in the main restaurant (very chintzy!) which was nice although not great for the prices, and once in Sloane's Tavern which we all enjoyed.

There were unfortunately some gripes with the hotel - we found the cleaner was very sparse in what she did - it didn't even run to washing up used mugs in the room or packing away a sofa bed. We had to request certain things more than once and had a broken toilet twice. There is also NOTHING happening in the resort after about 8.30pm. When we ate in Sloane's Tavern we were the only people still there and we left at 9.15! Finally, almost nothing is included in the, fairly hefty, room price - tennis courts, bike rentals, driving range etc. were all at extra cost.

However, despite these problems, we had a lovely few days and would definitely recommend it to people.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank viross5000
Reviewed August 6, 2007

I had my wedding at the Cranwell on June 30th, 2007. The only way to describe the entire weekend was absolute perfection. From the moment we stepped on the property, everyone working at the Cranwell was friendly, welcoming, and helpful. Every guest at our wedding commented on what a classy, lovely place we had chosen for our wedding and how wonderful everyone at the resort was.

Every detail surrounding the wedding day was masterfully organized by Samantha Talora, who is a true gem. Every detail of the day was carefully planned out, and I had no suprises at all on the day of the wedding.

The food at the cocktail hour and reception was phenomenal. The food was succulent and seemed to constantly appear. Our guests commented that they never had to ask for a particular appetizer because there was always a fresh tray nearby. The soup, salad, and entrees were delicious. I want to go back so that I can really enjoy the food, as I was only able to take a few bites at my wedding. After the whole reception was over, they boxed up the remainder of the dessert table and brought it to my bridal suite.

The rooms at the Cranwell, though pricey, were unbelievable. My family had some of the larger rooms in the mansion. To say they were large is an understatement - they were palatial! They were the nicest rooms I have ever seen in a hotel. All of the other guests commented that their rooms were wonderful, too.

I did not take advantage of the spa services, but those that did commented that it was great. My husband did play golf, and he and his friends had a wonderful time and loved the course.

If I had to do my wedding over again, there is not one change I would make when it comes to the Cranwell. I will go back in the future time and again to stay at this wonderful place, even though I only live 45 minutes away from the Berkshires. And I would unequivocally recommend the Cranwell to any couple trying to find a place for their wedding.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RunNYC1024
Reviewed July 23, 2007

Because we were attending a symposium at the hotel, we decided to stay at Cranwell having heard wonderful things about it. To say that what we heard were overstatements is to say that our overall experience was not good. Checking in was easy and the clerk at the front desk was accommodating. Our room was in the Beecher Cottage on the second floor.

Cranwell is an old New England resort with rooms spread across the property in several buildings. Beecher Cottage was built in the late 1800's and while it looked good, it would present several problems for someone with mobility issues. The front door was up several steps, opening onto a porch. Our room was on the second floor, up a big staircase. I could not find any elevators in the building; I can only assume that there are none.

Our room with two queen-size beds was very spacious and nicely, furnished. The bedside lamps were wonderful with excellent three-way lighting. The room also had two barrel chairs and a floor lamp between them, also with three-way lighting. (As a matter of fact, we have the same lamp in our bedroom.) There were three large windows overlooking the golf course and the hills beyond. And there was also a generous desk with drawers as well as a chest of drawers.

The bathroom was very big but quirky. The marble vanity was held against the wall by two pieces of wood; it had only one sink and since it was not level, things had a tendency to roll off. Similarly the tile floor was also slightly slanted as well. On the plus side, the lighting was excellent, however, the tub a generous length and, of course, there was lots of hot water.

The bed linens were another matter; they were rough! And for a room which might have been booked by a family with two small children, there were simply not enough bath linens to go around. Yes, there were the obligatory bathrobes, but no slippers.

The food was really poor, dinner in Sloane's Tavern notably so. One of us ordered broiled scallops which could have been used on the driving range since they were so tough they were inedible. The next night in the Music Room Grill, one of the steaks ordered rare had to be sent back since it was almost well-done. The waiter spilled water on the table each time he poured. A buffet breakfast was good but the bagels and bread were on the stale side.

Upon checking out, we discovered that there was a $40 dollar erroneous charge on the bill which was immediately removed but we later discovered that a number of other guests encountered the same problem.

Yes, the setting is beautiful and the golf course looked to be spectacular. A quick visit to the Spa presented a nice pool and good exercise facilities and schedule of classes.

Would we return to Cranwell? At more than $300 per night - and this was a conference rate, no less, the verdict is no.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank FendelV
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Blantyre
Garden Gables Inn
#3 of 16 in Lenox
Courtyard Marriott Lenox Berkshires
Hampton Inn & Suites Berkshires-Lenox

Been to Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!