“Extraordinary Elegance and Kindness”
Review of Blantyre

Blantyre
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Lenox
Reviewed November 6, 2011

I recently spent an unforgettable overnight at Blantyre. As numerous reviews attest, the place is extraordinary. No detail goes unnoticed. I have stayed in many hotels and this one truly distinguishes itself from the rest. It's difficult to even think of it as a hotel! You do feel more as if you've been invited to a friend's country manor.

I was traveling to Lenox to have dinner with the high school guidance counselor who had turned my life around, and who I had not seen in 45 years. After reading reviews of restaurants in Lenox, I chose Blantyre for what promised to be a very special dinner.
An unseasonal snowstorm arrived soon after I did, and by 5:00 p.m., the roads were blanketed. The restaurant stayed open, and, not wanting to brave the roads twice, I reserved a second room for my guests, who--though both in their eighties--were ready for the adventure. When we arrived back at Blantyre, we were greeted outside by 4 or 5 people, including Ann Brown, the owner. Ann was so excited that we'd made it and so happy for us that she offered a free room for my guests that night. With a guest who was more than willing to pay for the room, I found Ann's generosity remarkable. And it's that remarkable generosity of spirit that makes Blantyre so special. It begins with Ann, and was evident in every single staff person I met there. Although I'm sure the staff is held to a high standard, I felt the staff members I met were genuinely good-natured and enjoyed providing a memorable experience to guests.

So we dined at leisure, in our own beautifully appointed small dining room, with wait staff that were nothing less than courtly, without being pretentious. When we wanted a photograph, someone appeared with a camera. The next day a disposable camera materialized. The dinner was extraordinary-- perfectly prepared and delicious. The creme brulee was the best I've ever tasted. We lingered over dinner for hours, and then were driven to our rooms in the carriage house. My room was as lovely and as comfortable as has been reported in other reviews.

In the morning, we were driven to the main house again for a sumptuous breakfast and, while we ate and talked, the amazing staff were busily digging out and cleaning off my car.
All in all, the Blantyre was much more than I'd hoped and I am looking forward to my next visit there. Try it. You won't be disappointed!
LE Lexington, MA

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank lanaeps

Reviewed October 25, 2011

The people are warm and go out of their way to make your stay exceptional. We stayed in one of the rooms in the carriage house called Brookside. We loved it. The room is beautiful and elegant but also comfortable and homey. As we entered our room right behind us they came in with champagne accompanied by a cheese and fruit plate. A nice way to start our adventure. We had dinner at their restaurant the first night and the experience was wonderful. You enter the main room with the scent of the fireplace and the sound of the piano in the air. You are given tasty canapes to start in the main room before dinner. We made our dinner and wine selections and then after a nice relaxing time were brought into the dining room. I must stop here and just say that the service and the people that work here are all amazing, friendly and go out of their way to add to your experience at Blantyre.The meal was wonderful from beginning to end. Fine dining indeed!

In addition to the property it is the local area that adds to this experience. We went for a nice hike up Monument Mountain one day and then to Ice Glen the next. Amazing hikes and great views.

We had dinner in Lenox at a great restaurant called Nudel. Great food bursting with flavors.

Blantyre is one for the memory books and we will be returning over and over. We loved it and highly, highly recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2011

A stay at Blantyre allows you to experience what life must have been like during the gilded age, prior to nuisances like the income tax, and working to earn a living, got in the way, and the Berkshire "cottages" like Blantyre were basically abandoned.
We had a truly extraordinary and might I say magical, stay at Blantyre. While my wife and I are widely traveled and love to stay at fine places, a stay at the Ice House, a two bedroom cottage that Ann Brown, the owner, kindly offered us, at 2k a night for just the room, would probably be out of our league.
Before I proceed, in terms of full disclosure, we did not have to pay for our stay at Blantyre as I had won an event where the prize was a two day stay with all meals and wine included. But as a frequent traveler and TA contributor, I will attempt to be completely objective in this review.
Blantyre is just as my title says, truly extraordinary. At any of the world's great hotels, however perfect their location, the mark of distinction is mostly carried by the quality of the service and the staff. Here Blantyre shines- the service was without any doubt exceptional throughout. From the moment we reached, we were whisked into this magical world, where there was nothing required except savoring the champagne and the world of Blantyre that Mrs Brown has so lovingly created.
The property is beautifully maintained and the absolutely gorgeous weather the weekend we were there added to the Berkshires beauty in the fall, but Blantyre shines by itself, creating an ambiance regardless of the weather. There is a very nice hiking trail right on the property, if you do not want to go outside. The Potting Shed, Blantyre's spa is perfectly situated on the property and the staff, like all of Blantyre's shine. I am not much of a spa person, but my wife, who has indulged across the globe said the treatment was comparable to the best.
I will comment on the food and wine. The food was excellent, the chef's creativity was challenged by my wife having the vegetarian tasting menu and I the regular one, and he delivered in spades. The vegetarian menu was amazing and I kept asking for a taste (which after the first one) was firmly denied.
And then the wine. We are both very wine centric with a cellar at home, but I have to say, this was one of the "wine weekends" of our lives, comparable to our trips to Bordeaux, the Rhone valley and Brunello (Montepulcino). I owe a debt of gratitude to Luc Chevalier, the amazing sommelier for making our stay so memorable. His knowledge, sensitivity to the guests palate, and ability to match just the right wine with whatever one is eating, is sheer perfection.
In summary, I am determined to go back, this time on our own dime.

Room Tip: The cottages are marvelous, with just the right blend of complete privacy and access to the main hou...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2011

Two days here was as restorative as a week spent elsewhere. Blantyre is like the house you've always wanted - but better. The rooms are all unique, and the linens are so cozy I found myself writing down the names on the tag to order for my home. The service was exceptional but unobtrusive; it's an incredibly special place that makes you feel as if you're going back in time to a kinder, more luxurious era. I'm sending all my friends!

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank UESnewyorker
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Blantyre is a most wonderful Relais and Chateau property. My husband and I have visited here
several times and have never been disappointed. From the outstanding staff, exceptional food, beautiful grounds, luxurious appointed rooms, suites and cottages, and the lovely spa with a wonderfully attentive staff, it is a vacationers dream come true! One never wants for anything at Blantyre. Ann, the most delightful, charming and thoughful owner, has thought of everything to make your stay stress-free. When you stay here, you feel like you are spending time at a dear friend's country estate.

It is hard to choose what is the most pleasurable thing to do at Blantyre since they are all
wonderful experiences each in their own right. Ice-skating with the most fabulous hot chocolate and banana bread brought to you by the "snow concierge", snow-shoeing, cross-country skiing around the property and its trails, relaxing by the heated outdoor pool, enjoying a spa service and lounging afterwards in the "potting shed", having a lovely picnic lunch on the property complete with beautiful tablecloths, cushions, fresh flowers and yummy
food, relaxing on the hammock, sitting on the covered terrace reading, playing a game or just relaxing, listening in the music room as it is filled with exquisite piano music by the pianist on the impressive grand piano......but I must stop here because the list of fabulous moments
can go on forever.

Sometimes one returns to a destination and the second time around is less memorable.. At Blantyre each visit is outstanding, if not better than the previous. You will never be disappointed, and will start thinking about when you will return again before you even leave!
THANK YOU, ANN, for restoring Blantyre and allowing us to share in its graciousness and your exceptional hospitality.

Reviewed September 15, 2011

This was our seventh or eighth trip to The Blantyre. I keep thinking that it can't get any better, and I keep being proven wrong. The staff is extraordinarily friendly, attentive to every detail, and determined not to allow you to do anything other than relax and enjoy the ambiance of this exquisite property. The food is always exceptional and the wine list is mind boggling. The accommodations in the Ice House are off the charts, but every room and suite that we have stayed in has been amazing in its own way. The "coffee table" books that adorn the rooms are one of the most fascinating aspects of the whole experience. I could easily hole up in any one of the rooms and spend my entire visit just getting lost in the pages and pictures. If you happen to have any time not consumed in eating, enjoying some wine or a cocktail, and immersing yourself in the accoutrements of your living space, walking about the grounds is a balm for the soul. If this isn't heaven on earth, you can certainly see it from here.

Room Tip: If price is no object, go for The Ice House. The Patterson Suite is also exceptional. There are no b...
1  Thank mainecoaster
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Be transported in time and relive the luxury of the privileged few who summered in their Berkshire mansions in the early 20th century. Have cocktails and canapes in the drawing room while listening to piano music then off to the dining room with candlelight and beautiful floral arrangements together with attentive and expert service. Then it's back to the drawing room to hear a few more songs.

We stayed in the carriage house which had a huge recently renovated bath and was most convenient to the very large heated pool, spa and whirlpool. There is free wi-fi everywhere, something not always found even in high-end resorts.

The owner was always around greeting guests. The staff was very professional but with a friendly and helpful genuineness that cannot be faked.

The Mount, Edith Wharton's home and gardens are close by and well worth a visit. Also, it is a lovely drive over to the Clark Institute to see their great collection and exhibitions.

This was an anniversary celebration for us and a delightful two days. We would definitely return.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Garden Gables Inn
LakeHouse Inn
#1 of 9 in Lee
Courtyard Marriott Lenox Berkshires
Hampton Inn & Suites Berkshires-Lenox

Been to Blantyre? Share your experiences!