“All the standards served the way you expect them.”

Frankie's Ristorante Italiano
Ranked #10 of 60 Restaurants in Lenox
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Dined on the porch Sunday night - family of four - son gave thumbs up to the bolognese, daughter devoured the penne pesto, husband loved the spaghetti carbonara but I was slightly disappointed with the seafood fra diavola (spiceless) The Kailua coffee gelato made up for it - maybe the best gelato I have ever had - my family ate all of it and voted it the best ice cream in Lenox. Great spot to please a diverse crowd .

There are newer reviews for Frankie's Ristorante Italiano

Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Ordered antipasto - we got our meals first and were asked if we still wanted the antipasto. No thanks. Ordered tiramisu and it was frozen in the center. Only positive was the wine Chianti Merlini. Wouldn't go back. There are much better options in the area.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I made a reservation at Frankie's after speaking with them about their gluten free options. The person on the phone was very nice and explained that they have gluten free pasta and they also prepare a number of the dishes without the use of flour. Sounded great.

We were seated by a very nice hostess who explained that she also has a gluten allergy, and that the pasta is wonderful, you can't tell the difference, etc. and that menu items were prepared gluten free as well. Our waitress was equally nice and took my order for veal parmigiana with gluten free penne. I explained that I was allergic to gluten, and she assured me that this was no problem. Indeed, the menu also pointed out that the short list of veal and chicken dishes from which I chose could be prepared gluten free.

My meal arrived and the waitress announced that everything was gluten free. The chefs had assured her and she trusts them. However, beneath the usual red sauce was a very thin layer of "something" that the veal had apparently been dredged in. I asked the waitress what it was. Potato starch? Corn starch? Rice flour? Any of those would be fine for someone with Celiac Disease (which is what people with true gluten "allergies" have). But for the little cooking I have done myself, I knew that Italian dishes typically would not contain any of these ingredients, unless they are used as substitutes. So I asked the waitress to check what was on my veal parmigiana. She came back and apologized that the response from the chef was ambiguous, i.e. there was a very light coating of flour on my veal.

What were they thinking in the kitchen?

Is a light, barely detectable amount of flour (and it was very hard to see) OK? Well...I will tell you, for someone with Celiac Disease, it is not OK.! It makes you very sick. And what is worst of all is that these dishes are advertised as "gluten free". They are not.

My meal was redone, minus the dredging of the veal in flour. It arrived after the other three people in my party were finished. The waitress thanked me for being "so observant". Nothing further, and not a word from management. I know she put the order in right; I was served rice pasta...next to the veal dipped in flour. It should not have been left to this poor waitress to deliver that bad news.

Frankie's apparently doesn't take "gluten free" seriously. So if you really have to eat gluten free for medical reasons, don't eat here.

4  Thank J-A-L-8
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We saw some great reviews and were disappointed int the food. The sauces were flavorless and really seemed like there wasn't any attention to cooking. I could have made much better food at home.

1  Thank kippi10
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We ate at Frankie's last weekend. The atmosphere is nice and the staff were helpful. I like that they bring you olive oil with your bread. The portions are ample. One word of warning though - if you order the homemade pesto, it isn't what you are used to seeing. To the eye it looks more like olive oil with basil in it. It was tasty, though, albeit very heavy on the oil.

1  Thank lcprice1