The Village Inn Bed and Breakfast
Hampton Terrace Inn(Lenox)
$179
$169
Official Site
Cornell Inn Lenox(Lenox)(Great Value!)
$150
Garden Gables Inn(Lenox)(Great Value!)
$199
Hotels.com
$55
$50
$258
Travelocity
Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort(Lenox)(Great Value!)
$219
$179
All reviewsnew englandwalking distancecommon areasour room was spaciousfrench toastomelettanglewoodfireplacecharmantiquesaccommodationsmassachusettsporch
Reviewed November 2, 2008

My husband and I were looking for something that was not "chain-like" and that would help us ease out of some our work stresses. The Village Inn Bed and Breakfast and its restaurant did just that a couple of weekends ago in October . A well-kept, beautufully vintaged inn (aka 1771) nestled in a most lovely mountained area, this inn reflects the ambience and service expected of a hostelry with well over two hundred years of unbroken hospitality for travelers. The rooms were very clean and comfortably warm and the room's sitting area's spectacularly comfortable chairs overlooking the tree-lined street was delightful for private conversation, reading or just thinking. The four-poster bed and its soft, comfortable bedding were pleasing as was the hot-tub- like bath. The food was a hidden treasure as the chef well knew the art of presentation and the cravings of the palate. The service was superb from the front desk to the dining area to their own quaint pub, "Rumplestiltskins" . We had wanted to get away for our own privacy and re-energizing and maybe a bit of spoiling. We recommend this inn for such a get-away to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JCWM
Reviewed October 31, 2008

My mother and I spent the night at the Village Inn during a weekend getaway to the Berkshires. Overall, it was a very pleasant stay, and I would not hesitate to stay here again.

The Location:
The Village Inn is located on Church Street in Lenox and is very close to the shops, art galleries, and restaurants. There is free parking for guests in a lot behind the inn. I would not characterize The Village Inn as a typical bed and breakfast, since there are around 30 rooms and interaction with the owners is minimal, if they are present at all.

The Room:
The bedrooms are broken up into three categories: Tier 1, 2, and 3. Tier 1 rooms are the largest, and also the most expensive. We stayed in Room 16 (a Tier 1), and housekeeping had split the king bed into two twins like we requested. The room was minimally decorated but comfortable, with an old but adequate sofa. However, it's important to note that there is a tavern below the inn that is open until around midnight. Since our room was in the back of the inn (we had a view of the parking lot), we could hear every conversation coming from tavern patrons who were on their way to their cars. If I were to visit again, I would request a room away from the noise.

The Bathroom:
The bathroom was adequate and had a jacuzzi tub. Although it took a while to fill, it was fantastic to have a relaxing soak after a long day of sightseeing. However, the toiletries provided for the tub weren't very appealing (ginger or spearmint scented), and the towels were very thin. The sink was also older and had two faucets-- one of cold water and one for hot. Also, I'm 5'1" and could not see into any of the mirrors in the bathroom, since they are small and located higher up.

The Common Areas:
The common areas of the inn were lovely, and I was able to get a significant amount of reading done. The big plus about the common areas was that they were very quiet. I had passed by the Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge, and the place was completely packed with senior citizens and it would have been impossible to find a quiet place to sit and read. The common area had plenty of seating, and was nicely decorated for fall. I suspect the inn would be very lovely when it is decorated for Christmas.

Breakfast:
Breakfast was wonderful and is served buffet style. (See my review on The Village Inn Restaurant.) Breakfast included coffee, tea, juice, waffles, pancakes, bacon, sausage, eggs, hash, fresh fruit, and a variety of breads and danishes.

Overall, a great stay. The inn could use a remodel, but is competitively priced (we booked a special for $199 for the room and $50 dinner voucher) and convenient. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank USCtraveler9
Reviewed October 27, 2008

We just got back from celebrating our one year anniversary at the Village Inn. In fact, we held our destination wedding weekend at the Inn. This was our fourth stay there and once again we had a wonderful time.

Upon arrival, we felt like we had come back home. From Michael who checked us in, the warm greeting from Pat and Billy Soto (owner-innkeepers), Jenn who keeps it all running smoothly, and virtually everyone else on the staff, we couldn't have been made to feel any more welcomed.

A visit to the Inn is not complete without enjoying dinner in their dining room, masterfully prepared by John the chef, whose creations in our opinion match some of the finest restaurants in Manhattan. (Do not miss the butternut squash bisque!)

Our tier 1 room was spacious, charming, and comfortable. Looking for warmth and hospitality without pretense? This is the real deal. We have already booked our reservations for next year to celebrate our second anniversary.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PG-NY
Reviewed September 18, 2008

We stayed 2 nights at the Village Inn while in town for a wedding. I must say, I was not impressed. However, being in great spirits because of the events of the weekend and beautiful late summer weather made us overlook a lot of flaws. (The atmosphere of our accommodations was really a secondary concern on this trip.) As a place just to dress/sleep, it was fine. We chose it based on location and the fact that it was on an arranged shuttle route for the wedding. In general, I'm not too picky, as long as the place is clean and the staff is helpful. I am thankful though, that we paid a special wedding rate and not the regular rate--some flaws here were just too obvious!

Overall, we found ourselves laughing about a lot of this with other guests at the wedding who were also staying there. It's just kind of a funny place. If you're not high maintenance--it's fine. Amusing even. But if you consider your room a big part of your vacation enjoyment...go elsewhere!

PROS:
1) Location can't be beat! Right in the heart of downtown, walking distance to many cute shops and cafes.
2) Free parking lot right behind the Inn. Super convenient!
3) Room/bathroom were very clean.
4) Comfortable bed (but not pillows!). Spare pillows in the closet.
5) Breakfast was included in the room rate and offered a fair range of food, including eggs. Not extra special, but not bad either. (Well, except for the spoiled creamer I got one morning...but that was quickly remedied.)
6) Staff was very friendly (though not very...um, refined)

CONS:
1) Badly in need of cosmetic updates! The whole place was oddly, haphazardly decorated. Faded, peeling wallpaper, mismatched decor, old carpet, teddy bear collection (?) in dining area, bar behind the reception desk. The trim on our lampshade was reattached with scotch tape. (C'mon! Just get a simple new one at WalMart for a few bucks--it would be a major improvement!)
2) Towels were really small and super thin. We requested extras before even using any because we knew those wouldn't cut it. (To their credit, a big pile of fresh ones was delivered right away.)
3) Noisy AC unit in window--really couldn't sleep with it on at all.
4) Tavern in bottom level with live (and not very good) music is open late... we could hear the "concert" from our room.
5) No mirror in room, only two very small and too high mirrors in the bath, plus one on back of bathroom door. It was impossible to dress for a wedding or do make-up in there. I kept going out in the hall where there was a full-size mirror to adjust myself.
6) Our room and bathroom were ridiculously small! The room size would've been ok, BUT they filled up 1/5 of it with a huge TV armoire (TV didn't even work well). Not necessary! I really would've preferred a large mirror or even a floor lamp in it's place. The bathroom was REALLY small. No place to put toiletries. I bumped a towel in the toilet within the first 5 min. Couldn't look in mirror without craning sideways over teeny corner sink, and as a result, I ended up paying $80 at a nearby salon to have my hair done for the wedding because I couldn't manage an updo without bumping my elbow against the wall! You could literally brush your teeth while sitting on the toilet--not that you'd want to, of course! (Another guest remarked at breakfast that he realized when he saw the size of the room why they ask for your money up front!) Which leads to...
7) Must pay in full at time of booking. That's asking a lot.
8) Restaurant was overpriced for the quality. We decided to order a light meal between checking in and leaving for a party. Just apps., and it was pricey. SO glad we didn't order entrees, because the food was mediocre at best. (I also had to send back my first water glass because of two VERY obvious red lipstick impressions. Gross.)

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bex18
Reviewed August 23, 2008

We just returned from a wonderful weekend at this beautiful bed and breakfast in Lenox, Ma. The accommodations were excellent and the service superb. We intend to recommend it to all of our friends and look forward to returning in the Fall.

• Stayed: August 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank minniemouse26