“Romantic inn in the Berkshires”

The Village Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #18 of 20 Lenox B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 14, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Village Inn on Feb 9, 2008. We've been to Lenox, MA before but never at this establishment.

Their website (www.villageinn-lenox.com) noted a "value weekend package" that we decided to take advantage of. For $149 you get a 1 night stay in their best available room. This included a $50 coupon toward dinner in their restaurant: Rumplestiltzkins. It also included a full breakfast the next morning. They had other "add ons" such as candy and flowers for an additional price. For $20 extra dollars we opted for a room with a fireplace.

Check-in is at 2:00 but it had started snowing pretty hard just after we arrived in Lenox so we went to the inn and asked if we could check in a little early. The innkeeper was very accommodating and gave us our key immediately. He also told us of a short-cut to get our bags from the car with the least amount of time outside in the snow.

The inn itself is extremely old but very well maintained. Our room (#20) was very cozy and romantic. The room included (besides a working fireplace), a king-sized bed, a comfortable sofa, a clock/radio/cd player, and an armoire held the t.v. and vcr. The bathroom was of good size and very clean. The tub had whirlpool jets but was only large enough for one person. The shower was great---lots of pressure and hot water.

The inn also maintains a restaurant called Rumplestiltzkin's. We had dinner on the sun porch. Very romantic. We sat at a table for two by the window where we watched the snow come down. The food was wonderful. I had the spring salad and my husband had the butternut squash soup for starters. Both were very good. Our main course was king crab legs. These came cut in half so there was no messy cracking of the crab legs. Dessert for me was a raspberry/pomegranite mousse and for my husband was pecan pie---served warm. The coffee (which is very important to us) was excellent. The total for the dinner came to $84 but we had the $50 coupon so only paid $34 plus tax & tip.

Breakfast was very tasty. We were given a menu of selections and since we had the "package" we were told to disregard the prices and could mix and match whatever we wanted. I had the waffles and some fruit salad. My husband had corn beef hash but didn't want the poached egg that came with it. He asked for an egg cooked differently and that was no problem. Once again the coffee was brewed to perfection.

There is a tavern on-site as well called Rumpy's. We opted to stay in our room after dinner so never got the chance to check out this part of the inn.

The inn has a tv room on the first floor where their video library is located. They have an extensive selection of videos---literally there is something for everyone.....horror, romance, comedy, drama, etc. You're on your honor to rewind and return the videos to the tv room when you're finished with them. There are also puzzles and games and a few books in this room, too.

We had such a wonderful time at this inn and have decided to cancel a trip to the Poconos in March and come here instead. Lenox and the surrounding area has so much to offer and we're looking forward to coming back again and again.

The only thing that we didn't like was that the tv had very few stations to choose from. But, since we didn't go there for the t.v. channels, we didn't mind. Also, a small refrigerator in the room would have been nice. We had some refreshments that we put on the window sill to keep cold until we could drink/eat them.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Deborah S

Reviewed January 2, 2008

We had a great time at the Village Inn on our recent stay over New Years Eve. Like other reviewers have noted, Jen is a great hostess - very friendly and personable. The bar is quaint (as is the entertainment at least when we were there).

Our room was really pretty - sitting area with a couch, fireplace, desk. The bathroom had a whirlpool tub the size of a regular bathtub. It was a small bathroom but had a cabinet above the sink for toilletries and extra hooks in the bathroom to hang things. A small but servicable closet was in the bathroom and the TV armoire had room to unpack.

There was plenty of light from several light sources in the room including an overhead light. Plenty of pillows and a quilt at the foot of the bed made the room very welcoming.

The common rooms are pretty. There's a decent collection of videotapes that you can watch in your room.

Staff was friendly and available. The breakfast was great. The meal served for New Year's eve was very well prepared.

It's not fancy, ameneties are somewhat basic, but it's a lovely place and we had a good time. Plenty of places to walk, including for dinner. Great town. We'd definitely go again.

Stayed: December 2007
1  Thank Going_Places21
Reviewed November 24, 2007

I was visiting my daughter at sleepaway camp and needed a location that was close. The location is great. About the room.
Bed is awful. Bathroom has nowhere to put a hairbrush or make up or anything. No closet. A/C loud. Was on 3rd floor and it is humid so you do need it.
Breakfast is very mediocre. Fruit isn't even good. Great coffee.
Dinner was very nice and the waiter was nice. But the place is very sad and depressing. The bar downstairs had a sad feel too and was not inviting.
I would only stay here again if I couldn't find another place and I am visiting camp again. Better than the travel lodge in Pittsfield.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank hootiebear
Reviewed November 10, 2007

Had an 85th birthday party for my Mother-in-law at this charming New England Inn. The service was excellent, friendly and attentive without being intrusive. There were about 50 guests of all ages at this party and everyone had a good time. The common areas are really unique - antiques and a comfortable, semiformal feel. Hors D'oevres were also excellent . We did stay one night and while the rooms are small (you have to understand that this is an authentic 200-plus year old Inn) they are very clean and comfortable. The weather even cooperated and several of our party-goers enjoyed themselves outside on the dining area on the side lawn. I can't say enough about the staff - everyone went the "extra mile" without being asked. I would highly recommend this property if you are in the Berksshires - whether for a for a party or for an overnight stay.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 26, 2007

During the last few months (June 23, and Sept. 16) I've had the pleasure of twice staying at the Village Inn in Lenox, MA. Both times I've encountered an establishment that was comfortable and unpretentious.
The rooms exuded a cozy, colonial charm and the staff (especially Jen, the restaurant hostess) was never anything less than friendly, helpfull and pleasantly conversational.
The food was both plentiful and well prepared. From the breakfast / brunch menu I'd heartily recommend the gingerbread pancakes and from the ever changing dinner menu on one particular stay, the special of the night was a seafood paella which was absolutely fantastic!
Also not to be missed is a visit to the Inn's tavern known as Rumpy's for drinks and live music. This seemingly low key pub is apparently becoming an up and coming spot to hang and hear music. The Sunday I was there was open mic night featuring a woman doing some great tin-pan alley tunes and a gentleman doing some great fingerstyle guitar. Oh yeah, Troy the bartender is an absolute scream.
All in all The Village Inn. in my book, is truly a 360 degree, four season affair. I look forward to returning.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed October 8, 2007

My husband and I booked this "Inn" because we were attending a concert at Tanglewood. I would like you to know, before you spend your hard earned money, that the pictures (and some reviews) here are VERY misleading. This Inn looks like it has seen better days, to say the least. The room was literally a shoebox. I am not kidding when I tell you that the bed took up the entire room! We stacked our luggage by the door and were literally trapped in this nightmare of a place. The ceiling was leaking, the old tacky wallpaper was peeling off the wall, and the bed was...well let's just say HORRIBLE...and the bathroom? It was the size of a small closet. The air conditioner was held in place by duct tape and oh, did I mention that there was not even a closet in the room? Seriously, I know the room was a bit less expensive than the other rooms....but at a little less than $200 it was still quite pricey. The place as a whole was run down and really quite depressing. One more thing. if you do happen to attend a concert and come back to the dump...I mean Inn... a little later, good luck getting a parking spot. If one is not available, then you are on your own to find one on the street somewhere. Nice.

Stayed: June 2007
4  Thank Andrew34
cheferella, Director of Marketing at The Village Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2007

We doubt the validity of this review, due to the reviewers stating that they stayed here in June to attend a concert at Tanglewood. The Tanglewood season is July and August only. They made no mention of the common areas, dining rooms and grounds, which have been recently updated and redecorated, nor did they mention staff, breakfast, or housekeeping. Our June rates are substantially less for our smallest rooms than the $200 per night they stated that they payed. In June our smallest rooms are $114 per night plus tax. No room has had a reported ceiling leak, and there is no duct tape on any airconditioner. This is a 230 year old inn, and our economy rooms are small, but guests are informed of this when they book, and the rooms are accurately described on our website. We upgrade to larger rooms, at no additiional cost to the guest, when possible, especially for repeat guests.

Reviewed September 25, 2007

We booked the entire Inn for many of our wedding guests and also had a farewell Brunch there.
Jen - the manager - was wonderful to work with. The Inn has a variety of rooms at very fair rates for Lenox. It has a charm both inside and out and a convenient parking lot since Lenox is often full of tourists.
We made special arrangements to host a "Poker Tournament" one night, and to take over the Pub after the Wedding reception.
Jen and Michael who manages the front desk did a great deal to make our guests feel comfortable and welcome.
The Sunday brunch accommodated over 125 people and more children than I can count. The food was great and plentiful and most importantly - everyone felt at home. I strongly reccommend the Village Inn if you need group arrangements. Its also a great place to stop for breakfast - lunch or dinner.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Manhattansasha
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenox
Yankee Inn
#1 of 1 in Stockbridge
Cornell Inn Lenox
Cornell Inn Lenox
#1 of 20 in Lenox

Been to The Village Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!